Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

Hello all. Today was already shaping up to be not good. I got into my car this morning and black screen on the back up cam. After a few minutes it came back. Next turn on the heat. No heat. Anyone else with this issue? Stopped the car reset the computer with scroll wheels pushed. Heat came back. Last question.. can anyone help me I know it’s a long way off, but what do guys consider to be the quietest tires? Thanks for all your thoughts.

Seems like folks are having a bit more trouble with the back-up camera on 5.15. Ours definitely has a delay of a few seconds, whereas it was instant before. Closing it out and re-opening the window brings it back if the delay is too long.

As you found, occasionally you may need to reset the computer. If you are having to do it frequently or repeatedly for the same glitch, I'd bring it to Tesla's attention. We've only had to do it maybe less than 5 times in 8 months. Some cars are a little more frequent but still within "normal" range.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Seems like folks are having a bit more trouble with the back-up camera on 5.15. Ours definitely has a delay of a few seconds, whereas it was instant before. Closing it out and re-opening the window brings it back if the delay is too long.

As you found, occasionally you may need to reset the computer. If you are having to do it frequently or repeatedly for the same glitch, I'd bring it to Tesla's attention. We've only had to do it maybe less than 5 times in 8 months. Some cars are a little more frequent but still within "normal" range.
Thanks very much.

Another question. Do the brake lights come on with standard regen?

Can I also suggest that if you are not using "creep" that you make sure to set "Hold" on your car when you're stopped somewhere? That way your brake lights will be on until you start moving again plus, of course, your car won't roll back or forward by accident.
Thanks very much. That’s a great suggestion. I have started to do that.!

I'd highly recommend turning creep back on. When doing slow maneuvering, like in a garage, it can be VERY advantageous.
Also, you shouldn't ever attempt to one pedal drive the car. Even if it comes to a complete stop, you always want the brake to be on. With creep on, the hill holder actuation by the brake then allows you to take the foot off the brake.

The big reason why the creep is beneficial when maneuvering is the same reason why people go barreling into store windows by accident.
Without creep, you use the accelerator to move the vehicle. With creep, you release the brake to move. If, for some reason, you must brake quickly, your foot is already on the accelerator and you only need to push. Without creep, your foot is on the accelerator and you have to quickly move it to hit the brake. If you miss, you hit the accelerator with the same force that you hit the brake.

By the way, creep is no different than every automatic transmission created.

I'd highly recommend turning creep back on. When doing slow maneuvering, like in a garage, it can be VERY advantageous.
Also, you shouldn't ever attempt to one pedal drive the car. Even if it comes to a complete stop, you always want the brake to be on. With creep on, the hill holder actuation by the brake then allows you to take the foot off the brake.

The big reason why the creep is beneficial when maneuvering is the same reason why people go barreling into store windows by accident.
Without creep, you use the accelerator to move the vehicle. With creep, you release the brake to move. If, for some reason, you must brake quickly, your foot is already on the accelerator and you only need to push. Without creep, your foot is on the accelerator and you have to quickly move it to hit the brake. If you miss, you hit the accelerator with the same force that you hit the brake.

By the way, creep is no different than every automatic transmission created.
I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum from this. I prefer creep off. I can feather the accelerator just as well as the brake. To each their own, personal preference.

Another question. Do the brake lights come on with standard regen?

Yes however there is a deceleration threshold if not crossed the brake lights will not illuminate for example if you are feathering the throttle getting some regen but not enough to cause your deceleration rate to trigger the lights. But the short answer is yes if you lift completely off the throttle your brake lights will come on