Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob : what outlet should I buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so my house was built 2013, I found a outlet cover in my garage that says “future car electric outlet”(see pics). Right behind that wall is my electrical box so I’m pretty sure it’s a 240v but not sure on amps. I’m confused on to what outlet to buy as there are so many different kinds.

my plan is to buy the NEMA adapter.

Attachments

• 886C2054-3009-46F4-AC5C-0374ECB9D06D.jpeg
    886C2054-3009-46F4-AC5C-0374ECB9D06D.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 9A68E49E-5378-4A22-B196-7C7B336A1AAD.jpeg
    9A68E49E-5378-4A22-B196-7C7B336A1AAD.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 73
can you identify the circuit in the panel box ? maybe a breaker is labeled, otherwise can you trace the wires ? or use a tester on the wires and switch breakers on and off.
no way to tell by just the outlet cover

I have no clue what that means. But here is a pic. Didn’t see anything labeled.

Attachments

• 15CEEABE-9B8C-480A-A6E8-5573FB367DD9.jpeg
    15CEEABE-9B8C-480A-A6E8-5573FB367DD9.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 82
It looks like you showed a pic of what's behind the lower, larger, blank wall plate and not the one that is labeled "Future Electric Car". The one you showed looks like some kind of grounding connection - possibly tapping into a ground wire embedded in your house's foundation. This is called a Ufer ground.

In any case, please show us what's behind the smaller plate labeled for the electric car. It is likely that there is no corresponding breaker and that the installing electrician just ran wires which terminate inside your breaker panel but aren't connected to anything. If you are comfortable doing so, you could remove the panel cover and show us what's in there - I bet you'll see the wires that go to the electric car junction box in the garage neatly coiled up in there.

The good news is you have 200A service which should provide plenty of power for a car charger.

Reactions: 1965Falcon
It looks like you showed a pic of what's behind the lower, larger, blank wall plate and not the one that is labeled "Future Electric Car". The one you showed looks like some kind of grounding connection - possibly tapping into a ground wire embedded in your house's foundation. This is called a Ufer ground.

In any case, please show us what's behind the smaller plate labeled for the electric car. It is likely that there is no corresponding breaker and that the installing electrician just ran wires which terminate inside your breaker panel but aren't connected to anything. If you are comfortable doing so, you could remove the panel cover and show us what's in there - I bet you'll see the wires that go to the electric car junction box in the garage neatly coiled up in there.

The good news is you have 200A service which should provide plenty of power for a car charger.

There isn’t anything inside the smaller wall plate... there is a hole but that’s about it lol

Attachments

• 76AEE835-FF74-4D8E-8BF1-3F67E96F8EDF.jpeg
    76AEE835-FF74-4D8E-8BF1-3F67E96F8EDF.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: user212_nr
A hole, as in a conduit hole? How close is that box to the panel? The norm is to add the wire and not hook it up inside the box (like Dave mentioned) but in this case maybe they just ran the conduit and the best case is you would just need to run THHN type wire through it for the amps you are going to have. I can't tell if you have any open spots, but if you don't you might be able to install some doubles to free up some space. You still want to do a load calculation to verify you have extra capacity. Here is a good one:

https://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-...oad-calculation-form-in-form-00.pdf?sfvrsn=16

Bruce

A hole, as in a conduit hole? How close is that box to the panel? The norm is to add the wire and not hook it up inside the box (like Dave mentioned) but in this case maybe they just ran the conduit and the best case is you would just need to run THHN type wire through it for the amps you are going to have. I can't tell if you have any open spots, but if you don't you might be able to install some doubles to free up some space. You still want to do a load calculation to verify you have extra capacity. Here is a good one:

https://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-...oad-calculation-form-in-form-00.pdf?sfvrsn=16

Bruce

The electrical panel is directly behind this wall.

There isn’t anything inside the smaller wall plate... there is a hole but that’s about it lol

Yeah, there is probably a conduit (see if you can see a hole inside the junction box). Easiest thing at this point is to call an electrician and ask for a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet to be installed. 14-50 is a little more common for electric cars, while 6-50 omits the neutral wire (which electric cars don't need anyway) and saves the cost of that wire, but given the very short distance involved it shouldn't matter. Or you could install a Tesla Wall Connector.

That junction box is a single-gang size, which is usually too small for the outlet types we are talking about. They may need to cut into the drywall and put in a new box after all. Or if you get a wall connector/other hardwired charging solution they can probably keep that current box and run cabling out of it along the wall up to the charger you buy.

Since you have all the in-wall work already done and the panel is practically adjacent to the junction box it should be a pretty minimal cost. Don't pay more than $200-300. And don't mention you have a Tesla or the price may double/triple.

So you have an empty outlet box that you will need to have wired from the nearby panel. Outlet can be 14-50 (stove) or 6-50 (dryer) type. This gets used with a 40 amp double breaker in the panel.

14-50 is a standard stove outlet. 14-30 is the dryer outlet. 6-50 is usually used for big welders or sometimes heaters.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have no clue what that means. But here is a pic. Didn’t see anything labeled.
This means you should call an electrician.

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you're not knowledgeable or comfortable working around electricity, please enlist the aid of someone who is, for the sake of your, your family's and your property's safety.

Looks to me like that 200 amp breaker might feed a sub-panel somewhere. Is there another panel somewhere in the house?

not that I know of but I’ll take a look around
This means you should call an electrician.

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you're not knowledgeable or comfortable working around electricity, please enlist the aid of someone who is, for the sake of your, your family's and your property's safety.

electrician was the plan, I just wanted to know a little bit before he installs anything. So what ill do is call and ask him to installa 14-50 NEMA outlet and that's pretty much it

not that I know of but I’ll take a look around

electrician was the plan, I just wanted to know a little bit before he installs anything. So what ill do is call and ask him to installa 14-50 NEMA outlet and that's pretty much it

If you want to be specific, you'll need him too:
  1. Perform a load calculation on your current panel to determine if additional amps are available for use in a 240v, 20, 30, or 50 amp circuit.
  2. Based on that conclusion, if adding a circuit is possible, add/replace breakers to install a new plug in the garage. It would be a NEMA 6-20 for 20 amp, NEMA 10-30 for a 30 amp and the 14-50 if you can do a 50 amp.
Also, if you are ever considering a wall connector and could support a 60 amp circuit, I'd have him install THHN 6 gauge wire in conduit between the panel and plug so all you would need to do is swap the circuit breaker and wire in the wall connector.

I think you'll need to do #1 before you get the estimate for #2 unless you have him estimate all possibilities. I could probably help you fill out the load calculation if you want to do #1 yourself, although he'll need to verify regardless.

Good luck!

Reactions: bradfridell
Yeah, there is probably a conduit (see if you can see a hole inside the junction box). Easiest thing at this point is to call an electrician and ask for a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet to be installed. 14-50 is a little more common for electric cars, while 6-50 omits the neutral wire (which electric cars don't need anyway) and saves the cost of that wire, but given the very short distance involved it shouldn't matter. Or you could install a Tesla Wall Connector.

That junction box is a single-gang size, which is usually too small for the outlet types we are talking about. They may need to cut into the drywall and put in a new box after all. Or if you get a wall connector/other hardwired charging solution they can probably keep that current box and run cabling out of it along the wall up to the charger you buy.

Since you have all the in-wall work already done and the panel is practically adjacent to the junction box it should be a pretty minimal cost. Don't pay more than $200-300. And don't mention you have a Tesla or the price may double/triple.

14-50 is a standard stove outlet. 14-30 is the dryer outlet. 6-50 is usually used for big welders or sometimes heaters.
If you don't already have 120V outlets, I would consider installing one. Or if 16A charging is enough for you you can install a NEMA 6-20.

Not that one. The 10-XX series of outlets have not been allowed for new installs since 1996, so you can't get one of those anymore, nor should you. You would do either a 6-30 (for 240V only) or 14-30 (dual voltage of 120V/240V) if you have to do a 30 amp circuit.

Tesla doesn't make a 6-30 adapter. If you have a 30A circuit you need to have them install a 14-30 (dryer outlet).

Thinking about it, I wonder if there are any GFCI NEMA 6-20 outlets.

I don't believe so. I think that if you need GFCI with a 240V circuit you use a GFCI breaker.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The bad advice here is astounding me.

to answer your question, assuming you are buying a Tesla, have your electrician wire up a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That will take 2 slots in your panel, much like your AC.

All Tesla cars come with a portable connector that includes 14-50 plug and a normal 120v wall plug l. Any of the other plugs/adaptors will cost you extra.

Or, if you decide to buy the Tesla wall charger, which costs extra, you can wire that up directly in Lieu of an outlet. However, be aware that wall charger will be useless except for charging a Tesla.

I recommend people start with 14-50, as it is lowest cost option.

The bad advice here is astounding me.

to answer your question, assuming you are buying a Tesla, have your electrician wire up a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That will take 2 slots in your panel, much like your AC.

All Tesla cars come with a portable connector that includes 14-50 plug and a normal 120v wall plug l. Any of the other plugs/adaptors will cost you extra.

Or, if you decide to buy the Tesla wall charger, which costs extra, you can wire that up directly in Lieu of an outlet. However, be aware that wall charger will be useless except for charging a Tesla.

I recommend people start with 14-50, as it is lowest cost option.
I have the NEMA 14-50 as well and it's a great option.