Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noobie question about powerwall app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a powerwall, and have set the app to time based control. Utility plan: Time of use. But in the app, it asks me under pricing for my buy price and sell price. I can find the buy price from PG&E, but how do I find the sell price?
Does the sell price help the app know what to do?
I read some posts and someone set the sell price 3 cents below the buy price, so I did this to start...
I'm sorry if this has been answered many times!

I recently got a powerwall, and have set the app to time based control. Utility plan: Time of use. But in the app, it asks me under pricing for my buy price and sell price. I can find the buy price from PG&E, but how do I find the sell price?
I read some posts and someone set the sell price 3 cents below the buy price, so I did this to start...
There is a stickied thread here:

How you have it set up is a good start. Your sell price is ~3 cents lower than your buy price due to NBCs. If it doesn't do what you want then you can tweak the pricing to try to force the algorithm to do what you want (see thread above).

There is a stickied thread here:

How you have it set up is a good start. Your sell price is ~3 cents lower than your buy price due to NBCs. If it doesn't do what you want then you can tweak the pricing to try to force the algorithm to do what you want (see thread above).
Thanks! I tried to understand that thread, i think that's where I got the 3 cents lower idea. I'll trying going through it again! Neither Tesla nor my PW installer explained any of it, and PGE has no good explanation either-- this forum is my only hope!

You have it right. Find the rate plan that fits your rate plan in the app. Make any changes in the times and buy costs and then reduce the sell price by 3 cents. That will offset the NBCs you have to pay and keep the Powerwall from sending back power you will actually loose money on.

Note it may take a week for the PW algorithms to settle down after you make these changes.

Reactions: edseloh