Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Normal" Motor noise claims Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took my car in for a deceleration whine from almost exactly 25mph (sounds a bit like a piccalo pete firework on low volume) no whine on acceleration or at any other time. I got a new motor and axles a while back and the new motor has been making this sound since I got it back. Previous service visits to a different center have denied the sound exists. What are options for me now that it is called "Normal" BTW i am off the 4 yr but have 4 more years on drivetrain

If it's not really that bad, just let it go since you have so much warranty left.
where did I say "its not that bad"? THEY said its "Normal" which it clearly is not based on the last motor I had and every other tesla I have heard. To me its bad from both the sound standpoint and that it portends another new motor in the future. Tesla bets that it will be out of the 8 year warranty, I am asking what other options are available

Question, if the motor is replaced is it warranted for a longer period of time like other motors are?

Well, i did ask about other work being done and SA said all parts replaced out of warranty are 90 days. I am assuming that in warranty replacement would at least go to original warranty date. Im guessing Elons abandonment of the model S means they will be a lot stingier with motor replacement

I wonder if it's the motor or gearbox? My new one is so quiet. My summer tires are louder. But, it should be quiet, really, the service center just doesn't want to mess with it. I put noise dampering insulation in my doors to quieten the tire noise.

Well, i did ask about other work being done and SA said all parts replaced out of warranty are 90 days. I am assuming that in warranty replacement would at least go to original warranty date. Im guessing Elons abandonment of the model S means they will be a lot stingier with motor replacement

Here is the policy for out of warranty:

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
For details, please review the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty.

where did I say "its not that bad"? THEY said its "Normal" which it clearly is not based on the last motor I had and every other tesla I have heard. To me its bad from both the sound standpoint and that it portends another new motor in the future. Tesla bets that it will be out of the 8 year warranty, I am asking what other options are available

You said it was a "low volume" noise. You did not quantify or even qualify how bad the sound was. Note that my post started with "if it's not that bad," not "since it's not that bad." Since Tesla is not considering the motor to be a total failure yet, your options are to ask them to replace it on your dime (not recommended - they're pricey) or just wait to see if it fails in the next 4 years and have Tesla replace it for free. I would choose the latter.

No, parts warranty is a minimum of 12 months and longer for some specific categories. From the latest parts warranty:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 10.02.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 10.02.05 AM.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 41
Your warranty cannot be shortened because of an initial failure and warranty replacement. Meaning, if your motor or battery fails at the 4 year mark, you still have another 4 years of warranty coverage on them; they don't simply drop to 90 or 365 days just because they were replaced.

If you have it replaced on the last day of your factory warranty, at that point you may only have 90 or 365 days for the replacement part.