Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North and South Dakota Tesla Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually looking to put together a South Dakota Tesla club (I live just north of Sioux Falls). Where are you moving to in South Dakota?

Also, if there are any other Tesla owners in the area (I KNOW you are out there because I'm seeing more and more Teslas every day), feel free to message me.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I'm actually looking to put together a South Dakota Tesla club (I live just north of Sioux Falls). Where are you moving to in South Dakota?

Also, if there are any other Tesla owners in the area (I KNOW you are out there because I'm seeing more and more Teslas every day), feel free to message me.
Nice! My wife and I are moving to Brookings in June. We plan on getting our Model 3 in May or June.

Woh! Hi, I'm here. Not much I can do I don't think. Bill is the real brains behind the ND Tesla club, I show up and sometimes forget to shut-up about Tesla stuff :)

But yes, start a SD group, become official with Tesla once you grow a bit, and continue the awesomeness of showing and education the public about Tesla. Also, have a ton of fun with local owners having open socials, track days, car shows, coffee meet, show and shines, etc!

Reactions: HyperionMark
@HyperionMark - just met up with some local Tesla folks yesterday! We had a great coffee and chat -- turns out I just missed their inaugural Tesla meetup just outside Sioux Falls... Let me know if you'd like to connect on FB (that's where we're setting up the group atm) and I'll send you an invite! Also, if there is anyone else on here that wants to join we'd love to hear from you too!

Thanks!

@HyperionMark - just met up with some local Tesla folks yesterday! We had a great coffee and chat -- turns out I just missed their inaugural Tesla meetup just outside Sioux Falls... Let me know if you'd like to connect on FB (that's where we're setting up the group atm) and I'll send you an invite! Also, if there is anyone else on here that wants to join we'd love to hear from you too!

Thanks!
Absolutely, will send you a PM with my personal info. Thanks!

Hi

I currently live in Brookings. Do you how can I easily buy a Model 3?

Thanks

I currently live in Brookings. Do you how can I easily buy a Model 3?

I live in Michigan and ordered online. Our state does not allow Tesla sales...so they try to make it painful. But I actually found the process rather easy. I ordered my car, they sent it to Chicago, I got on a train and picked it up and then had a road trip back home.

I'm sure you could do the same...or even pickup in Minneapolis.

Reactions: PLUS EV

My family is from Mitchell, SD. Ever heard of the World's Only Corn Palace?

I live in Michigan and ordered online. Our state does not allow Tesla sales...so they try to make it painful. But I actually found the process rather easy. I ordered my car, they sent it to Chicago, I got on a train and picked it up and then had a road trip back home.

I'm sure you could do the same...or even pickup in Minneapolis.
Going to Minneapolis seems fine. But is there any problem with vehicle registration. Do I have to register in Minnesota, pay tax there and drive tesla to SD and register here and pay tax as well?

Going to Minneapolis seems fine. But is there any problem with vehicle registration. Do I have to register in Minnesota, pay tax there and drive tesla to SD and register here and pay tax as well?

I got my car almost 3 years ago...and I'm in Michigan, so things may be different where you are, but my experience was that Tesla gave me all the paperwork that I needed to register the car in Michigan and only in Michigan. I paid the taxes in Illinois but those taxes were handled behind the scenes and transferred to Michigan from Illinois. Apparently most states have this reciprocal agreement in place.

So...long story short, I highly doubt you will need to either register the car in both places nor pay the tax in both places.

This is where it would be best for some SD owners to chime in and explain their experience to confirm what I believe to be true, so hopefully that will happen. if not, I'm fairly certain I can track down some Tesla owners in the Custer area and see what they might have to say.

I've personally been to Custer three times now with my car at the Tesla rally that they have there in May, and I've talked to dozens of people about Tesla vehicles, but I've honestly never thought this deeply about the specific logistics of actually getting a car there. :)

If you do get a car before May, come to the rally...it's a blast: Sound of Silence Tesla Rally

I got my car almost 3 years ago...and I'm in Michigan, so things may be different where you are, but my experience was that Tesla gave me all the paperwork that I needed to register the car in Michigan and only in Michigan. I paid the taxes in Illinois but those taxes were handled behind the scenes and transferred to Michigan from Illinois. Apparently most states have this reciprocal agreement in place.

So...long story short, I highly doubt you will need to either register the car in both places nor pay the tax in both places.

This is where it would be best for some SD owners to chime in and explain their experience to confirm what I believe to be true, so hopefully that will happen. if not, I'm fairly certain I can track down some Tesla owners in the Custer area and see what they might have to say.

I've personally been to Custer three times now with my car at the Tesla rally that they have there in May, and I've talked to dozens of people about Tesla vehicles, but I've honestly never thought this deeply about the specific logistics of actually getting a car there. :)

If you do get a car before May, come to the rally...it's a blast: Sound of Silence Tesla Rally
Thank you for your reply. I was just accepted on SD Tesla club on Facebook. I will ask thise questions there.

Reactions: IT Geek