Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just looked at Supercharge.info and they are now posting building permits for Superchargers in Sioux Falls, SD and Sherburn, MN. This adds significantly more charging opportunity on the east-west highway that flows through southern Minnesota and South Dakota. Does this mean that they are paying more attention to us here up north? Maybe they will see fit to put a charger in Fargo now at least. Any updates or news?
Nothing new as of yet. Still just the best guess rumor of late '17 for Fargo, and hopefully heading west with the rest of the i-94 chargers from there. I like driving the future, just more than 230 miles in one day...

Tentatively Announcing the First Bismarck Gathering of Tesla owners and Drive Tesla day! Saturday, September 9th in Bismarck ND at the former Eggers Audio Video Location: 116 W Main Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501 - From noon until 3pm.

We hope to see everyone out and please let your friends and family know so they can come and check out an assortment of Tesla options and features.

Tentatively Announcing the First Bismarck Gathering of Tesla owners and Drive Tesla day! Saturday, September 9th in Bismarck ND at the former Eggers Audio Video Location: 116 W Main Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501 - From noon until 3pm.

We hope to see everyone out and please let your friends and family know so they can come and check out an assortment of Tesla options and features.
Scratch that. It will be September 16th to accommodate even more Tesla's attending!

Announcing the First Bismarck Gathering of Tesla owners and Drive Tesla day! Saturday, September 16th in Bismarck ND at the former Eggers Audio Video Location: 116 W Main Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501 - From noon until 3pm.

I am hoping the Fargo Supercharger gets going before the end of the year. My son plays hockey, and there is a big tournament in Fargo every year. I have a CPO Model S 60 ordered, and I would like to theoretically take it to that tournament from the Minneapolis area. Per the trip planning sites, I could likely do it as it is now, but I'd be getting into Fargo with minimal charge (10% or less). A supercharger in Fargo would get me back to a decent charge much faster than either a destination charger at a hotel or the public charging stations. As to the destination charging, I don't know which hotel we would be assigned anyway, so I can't plan on that.

I am hoping the Fargo Supercharger gets going before the end of the year. My son plays hockey, and there is a big tournament in Fargo every year. I have a CPO Model S 60 ordered, and I would like to theoretically take it to that tournament from the Minneapolis area. Per the trip planning sites, I could likely do it as it is now, but I'd be getting into Fargo with minimal charge (10% or less). A supercharger in Fargo would get me back to a decent charge much faster than either a destination charger at a hotel or the public charging stations. As to the destination charging, I don't know which hotel we would be assigned anyway, so I can't plan on that.
Exactly. Winter would not be fun to go from Clearwater to Fargo and vice versa in anything under an 85. The heater will sap more than 10% if it's a cold day.

Exactly. Winter would not be fun to go from Clearwater to Fargo and vice versa in anything under an 85. The heater will sap more than 10% if it's a cold day.
A Better Routeplanner says going through Baxter (Brainerd) then cutting over would be the better route, though they do not allow you to specify weather.

EV Trip Planner says the same route, and if I put in 10* F, I am just getting into Fargo (190 miles used on the last leg). So charging to 100% or close in Baxter should get me in there ok, I could always drive slower to maximize range.

The supercharger at Alexandria would definitely benefit me. I don't know the estimated date, but I know that's on the list, and someone posted a while back that they may have broken ground on it. If that is the case, I would have much less to worry about for that trip.

The problem with driving slow in cold weather is you lose a lot of the energy savings by burning up more energy using the heater for a longer period. That is not a trip I would want to make in an older 60, but if I had to, I would be bundling up before I left and only using the defrost as necessary to keep the windshield clear.

The problem with driving slow in cold weather is you lose a lot of the energy savings by burning up more energy using the heater for a longer period. That is not a trip I would want to make in an older 60, but if I had to, I would be bundling up before I left and only using the defrost as necessary to keep the windshield clear.
That's a good point. It's a toss up on how to save energy. More reason to get a 3...

And Elon tweets that they aren't until next year... again x3.
Sorry man. I didn't think I'd be affected by the lack of infrastructure as well when I reserved the Model 3, but that looks like it is certainly going to be the case. At least I should be able to make it from Fargo to the SC in Clearwater, MN. Coming West to Mandan might not be an option until late 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or ever.

Sorry man. I didn't think I'd be affected by the lack of infrastructure as well when I reserved the Model 3, but that looks like it is certainly going to be the case. At least I should be able to make it from Fargo to the SC in Clearwater, MN. Coming West to Mandan might not be an option until late 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or ever.
It better be in 2018 like the tweet says or I might just cry.

I see Tesla updated their supercharger map on their website. All North Dakota superchargers now say "Target opening by end of 2018".
I don't remember for sure, but it looks like they added a lot more locations along their trans-canada highway route Elon recently mentioned on Twitter as well.
There are scores of new Superchargers planned for Canada. I don't think (m)any of them were on the map before today. I've found at least three new ones on the map for Colorado too and others all around North America.

2018 is going to be another great year for the Supercharger network!

There are scores of new Superchargers planned for Canada. I don't think (m)any of them were on the map before today. I've found at least three new ones on the map for Colorado too and others all around North America.

2018 is going to be another great year for the Supercharger network!

Still frustrated. Bought the Tesla to support my need to travel in North Dakota in reliance on the sale staff assurances that the chargers were coming in 2016. Beginning to take anything/everything Tesla represents with a grain of salt.

Still frustrated. Bought the Tesla to support my need to travel in North Dakota in reliance on the sale staff assurances that the chargers were coming in 2016. Beginning to take anything/everything Tesla represents with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I can understand your frustration. Hopefully they will finally have ND covered within the next year. Hang in there!