Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North of New York City - really want to spend less on a Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't need the range (I think) - but I'm worried about the snow (though less and less). Do I need the long range? Or am I good with the Standard Range Plus? I really don't want to spend an extra $9k if I don't have to.

Thank you community!!

I am perfectly happy with my SR+. My commute, when I am not working at home because of the pandemic, is only 7 miles one way. The longest road trip I’ve taken so far was 300 miles and only had to stop at a supercharger twice for 15 minutes each. I dealt with early onset range anxiety by simply switching to percent of battery instead of miles.

live in Upstate NY. Range drops ALOT in cold weather and snow, not only due to the cold, but the use of cabin heat and undoubtedly slippery conditions. Typically I'd say about 40% drop in range in our area, with temps -10 to 30 from Oct-Apr. Indeed poor cold weather performance is the main reason I waited as long as I did to get an EV...

So the 300+mile range of my AWD becomes more like 180-190, and with the rec to charge "only" to 80-90%, then 150-170.

• Informative
Reactions: FrunkLover
Well. I did it. I ordered. And I couldn't be happier. I went with the Standard Range Plus after watching about a million hours of YouTube videos. Thanks everyone for your help. And now the wait beings!

Congrats.. as long as you fully understand what that means, based on someone else in your area (that in winter, your effective range is like 150-170 miles)... AND that you will have, on average, 5% battery degradation the first year. I say this so that hopefully, you dont become another in the (VERY) long line of people who come back and post something to the effect of "WTF is wrong with my car?!?!?! I dont get anywhere near 250 miles? Teslafi says....."

live in Upstate NY. Range drops ALOT in cold weather and snow, not only due to the cold, but the use of cabin heat and undoubtedly slippery conditions. Typically I'd say about 40% drop in range in our area, with temps -10 to 30 from Oct-Apr. Indeed poor cold weather performance is the main reason I waited as long as I did to get an EV...

So the 300+mile range of my AWD becomes more like 180-190, and with the rec to charge "only" to 80-90%, then 150-170.

Where in upstate NY are you?

Hi - I’m in a similar boat: live in southern Westchester (Scarsdale), and my round trip drive to NYC for work is about 45 miles. We have a LR MY at home, so this M3 will be my daily commuter.

Given the recent price increase for the 2022 M3s, the price difference between this SRP and LR is lesser.

How has OPs experience been with the M3 SRP?