Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to replace two tyres, should I go for CrossClimate 2s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I need to replace two tyres on my Model 3 LR with the standard 18" wheels. Where we live is very hilly (our driveway is particularly steep) and last year when trying to get our old Ford down it, I almost ended up sideways and going straight onto the road, so I'm thinking of replacing the entire 4 tyres with all season ones.

My worry is that the all season ones will be noisier, have less range (expecting an 8-10% drop, which is quite significant) as well as perform worse in dry conditions which is the majority of my driving. I live in the South West and snow isn't too common here, so is it mad to make such a compromise on range, noise and dry performance for something that'll be slightly beneficial in the rain and very beneficial in the ice/snow when I don't really drive often at all in those conditions?

Would be very grateful for any opinions or advice, thank you :)

Reactions: BushFox
Sorry, the title is a bit misleading so just to clarify, having just seen a video posted on this forum if I go for all season tyres I will definitely be replacing all 4, which I guess adds to the general feeling of being apprehensive to go for all seasons since it'd require replacing two pretty good tyres with plenty of tread left.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
It is recommended to replace all four as the characteristics would be quite different between the two axles. Worth noted that the performance of your existing tyres (pilot sport 4?) will start to degrade below 10deg so you will benefit from the all seasons more than just in freezing conditions.

Reactions: M1tch
I have CrossClimate 2. More than 30,000 miles of motorway driving and still 5mm of tread left. Quieter in my opinion than the stock tyres, and no range impact (220 Wh/m in the summer, 250 in the winter). I can’t offer an opinion on handling. Better than stock tyres in the wet and they have never aquaplaned. Very hard to provoke any kind of wheel spin in a quick getaway.

Will replace with the same.

Edit: do NOT replace summer tyres with all seasons or winters on a single axle. You might find that a major tyre shop will refuse to do this anyway.

Reactions: WllXM and Doudeau
I run imported 19" rims on an MYP. I have Pirelli Scorpion SF2 all season on those which have been very good. Better specs (on paper) than the CC2. I also ran Crossclimate on a Model 3 which were good. So all season tyres on performance models without problems. I'm no speed demon but no issue with some occasional "spirited" driving. Not noisy and didn't see any appreciable range hit.

I have CrossClimate 2. More than 30,000 miles of motorway driving and still 5mm of tread left. Quieter in my opinion than the stock tyres, and no range impact (220 Wh/m in the summer, 250 in the winter). I can’t offer an opinion on handling. Better than stock tyres in the wet and they have never aquaplaned. Very hard to provoke any kind of wheel spin in a quick getaway.

Will replace with the same.

Edit: do NOT replace summer tyres with all seasons or winters on a single axle. You might find that a major tyre shop will refuse to do this anyway.

Yeah my response is basically identical to this. Extremely happy with my CC2's

I have
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL

Which are a better summer tire than CC2s and almost as good as a snow tire. Yes, the mileage is reduced, but maybe 5% ? However, i have better control in rain and snow.

Here is a decent comparison.

Yeah my response is basically identical to this. Extremely happy with my CC2's
I agree, my CC2s are almost 30k old , plenty of tread left, no sign of loss in efficiency and measurably quieter then the original PS4, as I reported on here 2.5 years ago.
This subject has been discussed so many times I’m surprised people are still questioning.😒

The CC2s are great. Just a shame I can never find any for 20" wheels :(

Though I swear by Falken. I put some FK520's on in the summer and for a summer tyre they're fantastic in the cold and wet, much better than the Pilot Sports it had on before.

Last edited:
Late to this thread but I have been running my SR+ on CCS2's for a year or so now and can't see any negatives.
Might be a touch noisier round town but at speed they can't be heard. Definitely wearing better than the originals which lasted around 14,000 miles on the rear.
I changed all four at around 28,000 miles and have covered 42,000 miles with plenty left on the rears.
No issues with range either on my early 2020 car.
They were cheaper than the recommended summer tyres so what's not to like? :)

Only complaint is that in the Midlands, we haven't seen snow for the past two years!

I got CCS2 on my Model 3.

very happy with them.
Me too. Brought them for protection on this journey but summer tyres would have been good enough. Had them since early summer.

IMG_1827.jpeg

Only negative is the tread is a bit agricultural.