Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North to Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may regret not choosing the 500-mile battery, but even with the extra miles I am not gonna make it to Alaska with this infrastructure. If they don't see a lot of traffic perhaps they can setup solar/battery charge points...

I’m waiting for the Tri-Motor and it’s 500+ range and I’d like to pull my Airstream up to Anchorage. This trip would require RV parks every 250 miles or thereabouts so I’m making a list of RV parks with 50-amp facilities. Those with only 30-amp would require a stay of 2 or more nights but, hey, I’m in no rush.

Also been researching the Alaska Marine Highway as the return trip and hoping they can accompanied the cT and a trailer.

I’m waiting for the Tri-Motor and it’s 500+ range and I’d like to pull my Airstream up to Anchorage.
This trip would require RV parks every 250 miles or thereabouts so I’m making a list of RV parks with 50-amp facilities.
Those with only 30-amp would require a stay of 2 or more nights but, hey, I’m in no rush.

Also been researching the Alaska Marine Highway as the return trip and hoping they can accompanied the cT and a trailer.
I noticed this article evaluating various long trips using ABRP:

Where Can You Go In An EV With 1000 Miles Of Range, Like The Aptera? (Part 2)

... Now, let’s give the thing a bigger challenge.
On default settings it wasn’t able to go from Anchorage, Alaska to Key West.
However, by adding a stop at the Tok RV Village & Cabins for a night, the trip became possible.

Screenshot-from-2021-01-30-02-05-24.png

In the comments I noticed this interesting posting from Ed:

This is a fun discussion, but I think there is a bigger point to make. In 2015,
we drove our Model S about 8000 miles across the US (BTW: the first to do it on Autopilot) for a wedding and reunion.

At that early date, the Supercharger network was modest, meaning careful route planning was necessary.
Still we made our destinations with little fuss.

c0a7522f1a0b051eed9c4868c81d33690bcfa36e37ee1590bcc09b6f56ce778f.jpg

I’m waiting for the Tri-Motor and it’s 500+ range and I’d like to pull my Airstream up to Anchorage. This trip would require RV parks every 250 miles or thereabouts so I’m making a list of RV parks with 50-amp facilities. Those with only 30-amp would require a stay of 2 or more nights but, hey, I’m in no rush.

AMHS can accommodate a CT with a camper, probably talking $7k+ and 7-10 days from Homer, Seward, or Whittier to Bellingham. Also if you do it book way in advance as they only let a few campers on each sailing.

we do the ~1 hr ferry from Homer to Seldovia with our camper most summers, that trip is ~$1k round trip.

Also FYI, If you don’t already have an airstream they are terrible in cold weather. We had one for 10 years and got rid of it after 2 summers in AK. Very rare to see one of the trailers up here, our dealer only stocks the motor homes.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Also FYI, If you don’t already have an airstream they are terrible in cold weather. We had one for 10 years and got rid of it after 2 summers in AK.

That’s surprising. I would have thought Airstream’s insulation layer was pretty good. This is off-topic, but what trailer did you find to be better insulated?

Also, I’m stunned at the cost for a one-way trip on the AMHS. I guess that explains why most people drive both ways.

Not off topic on a thread North to Alaska. There are lots of Canadian RVs that are called four season RVs. Heated basements, thick insulation w/ thermal breaks in the structure to prevent heat being conducted to the outside, multi-pane windows all around.

Of course with Climate change we need those in Ohio and DC this winter and probably won't need them in Alaska next summer

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
That’s surprising. I would have thought Airstream’s insulation layer was pretty good. This is off-topic, but what trailer did you find to be better insulated?

Also, I’m stunned at the cost for a one-way trip on the AMHS. I guess that explains why most people drive both ways.

Outdoor RV 22BHS. It’s almost the exact same length bumper to ball as our airstream was. But 4 season rated, way more storage, heated under, bunks for our teens, and a slide out. Feels huge (and warm) inside in comparison. The AS was cold even when it was 40’s and raining, we’ve had the ORV down in the single digits F this past fall caribou hunting with no issues. Had it 6 summers now and well over 50k miles all over AK and northern Canada. It’s a great camper for a family of 4. For well built trailers outdoor RV and Lance dominate up here.

As for airstreams in the cold, ever been in an aluminum canoe on cold water? It’s the same thing, cold just cuts straight through.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
we’ve had the ORV down in the single digits F

That would kill my wife’s desire to ever go camping. :eek: We are the type of campers who travel north in summer and south in winter. We use the camper as a place to cook and sleep and spend the rest of the time outdoors hiking, biking or just reading a book. After 30 years of teaching skiing I’ve had my fill of extreme weather. :)

That would kill my wife’s desire to ever go camping. :eek: We are the type of campers who travel north in summer and south in winter. We use the camper as a place to cook and sleep and spend the rest of the time outdoors hiking, biking or just reading a book. After 30 years of teaching skiing I’ve had my fill of extreme weather. :)
We use the camper for the same thing, backcountry base camp for summer skiing, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting... That cold stretch was last week in September, 48 hours earlier it was 45F then dropped down. That’s fairly common up here though, winter hits us typically end of sept early October. I try and winterize and store the camper every fall early October after the early fall caribou/goat/sheep hunting is over.

if you do make a trip to AK best chance for warm weather is mid June through early August, but keep in mind that is the worst time for mosquitoes (and in central AK the mosquitos are no joke) and the most crowded with people. And plan on heading south by early September.

Last edited:
Haha no way, I see that truck everywhere. There are a few more around town but that one seems the most clean and well done. There is another one covered in antlers with a bear skin porch...

Here’s the full tour of it.

Looks like a pretty livable build. It’ll be interesting to see what the overland and van life communities come up with for the Cybertruck.

I would say if I lived in Alaska I would not want an Airstream. For many things Alaska is different. Our family lives up there. Yet for trips to and not for long term Alaska it's fine.....

It is a trip I have done twice in ours. No problems. Many off road mods done. Will be using it with our Cybertruck.

Temp wise I am up about 10 miles from the Canadian border October in NW Montana and untill middle Nov. Have lots of fun. Have to skirt it of it gets too chilly.
20161012_085949.jpg

Also been researching the Alaska Marine Highway as the return trip and hoping they can accompanied the CT and a trailer.
You plan to drive approx. 250 miles then stop at an RV park to charge.
So about every 4 hours you will charge. If there is 50 amp charging you will stop then charge and leave. But if there are only 30 amp charging you will stay a couple of nights. So if the camp grounds only have 30 amp charging then every 250 miles you would stop for a day or two. Wouldn't that be expensive charging? Would the campground charge you for a full day even if you are only there charging for a half hour?

You plan to drive approx. 250 miles then stop at an RV park to charge.
So about every 4 hours you will charge. If there is 50 amp charging you will stop then charge and leave. But if there are only 30 amp charging you will stay a couple of nights. So if the camp grounds only have 30 amp charging then every 250 miles you would stop for a day or two. Wouldn't that be expensive charging? Would the campground charge you for a full day even if you are only there charging for a half hour?
Up here some Campgrounds (and all the state ones) charge a full day to charge so ~$40-$80. Others don’t charge anything others don’t charge as long as you stay with your car and agree to going if the person with a reservation shows up.

once you get in Canada heading north the roads are not “highways” like most are accustomed to. 55-60mph is all you really want to consistently do pulling a camper and many places it will be 30-40 mph especially when you are in permafrost. Also I imagine anyone taking a camper up to Alaska through Canada is in it for the journey, it’s amazing so go slow and take it all in. I’ve driven anchorage to Hood in OR with the camper, ~2500 miles and it took seven 10-14 hr days.

Reactions: rhumbliner
AMHS can accommodate a CT with a camper, probably talking $7k+ and 7-10 days from Homer, Seward, or Whittier to Bellingham. Also if you do it book way in advance as they only let a few campers on each sailing.

we do the ~1 hr ferry from Homer to Seldovia with our camper most summers, that trip is ~$1k round trip.

Also FYI, If you don’t already have an airstream they are terrible in cold weather. We had one for 10 years and got rid of it after 2 summers in AK. Very rare to see one of the trailers up here, our dealer only stocks the motor homes.

Also Prince Rupert to Haines or Skagway 36 hours. No vehicle access while on board.

I’m curious what those mods are.

Remove just about everything from the bottom including stabilizing jacks, sewer hose holder. The big one that plagues most trailers not just Airstream. The hanging sewer outlet. (Crack that and you have a mess) Changed so it almost is tucked into the shell vs. hanging. Change rims to be an inch larger than stock and truck tires, not crappy trailer tires. Saw rear bumper so it doesn't hook things on old fire roads. Cut 4 inches on each side. May not be legal, but no one rides in it so who cares.

One of the oldest and best Airstream dealer is in Grand Rapids MI Woodland Travel. They redo all the old shells people find in barns etc... turn them into stores(hushpuppies) or just coolness. They did one for Burton that shows up on slopes from time to time.

I have a 2500 Suburban with a 7 inch lift kit. They helped me raise the trailer up with a 2 inch lift, and piece of mind. Get's me out deep into BLM land most would not tackle. Go slow enough you can do just about anything:)

Happy to chat with anyone, but since I have strayed from topic, maybe a PM.