Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a great start in the charging desert...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The RV park probably didn't have a NEMA 14-30 (does it have four blades?) - it is much more likely to be a TT-30 (round ground and two blades). Glad to hear all is fine! And if you continue to make longish trips, I suggest equipping yourself with a bunch of adapters just in case!

2. Drive to the community college in the morning, and try to get permission to plug my car in there during the day (assuming those outlets are even active). Those 8 or 9 hours times 3 days at 120V will help at least. (I don't have the 14-30 adapter. Poop.)

That's why I carry a $20 non-contact voltage tester in my car. It lets you easily and safely confirm whether there's power going to an outlet. It's saved me from frustration a time or two.

So this story ends well.

When I arrived at the community college, I found a 110V outlet in back, got permission to charge there, and charged all day @ 3 mph (almost pointless...but free miles nonetheless!) I'll continue to do this tomorrow and Thursday.

I also called the RV park (my original charging destination), got ahold of the right person, and received permission to charge there despite the place being closed due to flooding. I was told there was a pole next to the campground sign that had a 50A outlet on it. When I arrived at the end of the day, I checked the pole--they were either 110V or 30A outlets! (I don't have a NEMA 14-30 adapter). The place was closing in 8 minutes, so I asked around and received permission to just drive past the barricades, pull into a spot, and hook up to a 50A spot. I did so, then walked to my hotel about a mile away, and now I'm happily gobbling down 32 mph. I'll head back in a few hours when full. Best part? The campground host said the electrons were free of charge! So now I have 3 sources of free charging around here. What other car can you drive where people give you free gas (other than a Roadster, Leaf, Volt, etc.)? Awesome.

Great--congrats, glad it worked out! Even 3/day is useful, especially if you're doing it for a few days. If nothing else, it can give you range to get to a better charger. But anyway, great that you got the 50 amp after all.