Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not connecting to home wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Has anyone had any problems with their model 3 connecting to their home Wi-fi? Mine has been fine for the 11 months we have had it but a few days ago would not connect. It says that the password is incorrect when I retype it (it isn’t as I have disconnected my phone from it and could easily reconnect with the same password). It will find my phone if I make a hotspot which is how I installed the latest update but won’t connect to a home network. It didn’t connect to my father in laws network either. I have deleted the network and put it in again on the car. Reset the screen and nothing has worked. Is this a fault with the car? Can anyone relate to this?
Cheers
James

Both of my M3s are on the latest software (just got an update a couple of days ago). They are both connected to my home wi-fi. I had issues due to poor wi-fi signal at the garage, but recently installed a mesh network and they have been connected quite happily for several months now. One thing I’ve noticed about mesh networks is sometimes it takes a long time for all the satellites to synchronize when you over-write the out-of-box SSIDs and passwords with your own. I had one satellite that still had (or had reverted to, perhaps) the out-of-box SSID and password over two weeks after I set up the mesh. All the lights were the right color and the phone app reported everything was A-OK, yet devices in my finished basement showed the out-of-the-box SSID in the wi-fi survey. I power-cycled everything again and that fixed it.

Do you happen to have WPA3 enabled on your Wireless Network for authentication?

Tim
Yes it has WPA3 enabled, that has not been a problem before though.
just tried splitting the bands and deleting the car from the list of devices from my home hub, still cannot connect because it still thinks the password is wrong.
I think it is an issue with the car. Thanks so much for all the advice!
Cheers
James

just tried splitting the bands and deleting the car from the list of devices from my home hub, still cannot connect because it still thinks the password is wrong.
Cheers
James

Strongly recommend just trying to disable WPA3 before wasting a bunch of time on other stuff.

There are numerous posts where folks with Eero, ASUS, Netgear, and other wireless setups have issues with WPA3 and both Tesla. Not just cars, but wall connectors too.

You are being prompted for a password because you can't authenticate, most likely due to WPA3.

Tim

• Informative
Reactions: rpiotro and KJD
Cheers
James
We are currently having this problem - Did you ever get it fixed?