Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting Android "grid out" notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
During this week's Texas power crisis, our PowerWalls were fully charged using Storm Watch as expected.

But when we did lose power, we never received any notification from our devices with the Tesla app - neither did we receive notifications that the power was back on.

I did receive an e-mail from Tesla after we lost grid power, with recommendations about managing PowerWalls during an outage.

It would also be useful to get app notifications (and e-mails) when Storm Watch is activated or deactivated.

Storm Watch was deactivated this morning - and since I don't trust that the grid is really back to normal operations, I manually set the system to 95% reserve power with Self-Powered, and will do that until we've had at least 24 hours without any grid issues.

For you or anybody else, double-check the app in settings/Notifications that the "Power Outage" option exists and is checked. However, there are a number of reports of notifications not working despite checking this box, as well as reports of this option not even being available. I believe this is a known issue, and Tesla has had recent release notes suggesting improvements, but, as you are seeing, it appears not to be resolved.

I also agree about storm watch notifications.... If and when they fix their issue with outage notifications, it would be nice to have some additional options. Storm watch is one, and I could see a battery-level alert (set at a user-defined value like 50% or 25%.) It would also be nice to have an option for firmware update alerts.

And it definitely makes sense to keep your batteries full at this time - backup only mode should also behave pretty similarly to self-powered with 95% reserve.

Reactions: garrett5688
During this week's Texas power crisis, our PowerWalls were fully charged using Storm Watch as expected.

But when we did lose power, we never received any notification from our devices with the Tesla app - neither did we receive notifications that the power was back on.

I did receive an e-mail from Tesla after we lost grid power, with recommendations about managing PowerWalls during an outage.

It would also be useful to get app notifications (and e-mails) when Storm Watch is activated or deactivated.

Storm Watch was deactivated this morning - and since I don't trust that the grid is really back to normal operations, I manually set the system to 95% reserve power with Self-Powered, and will do that until we've had at least 24 hours without any grid issues.
Curious to know how did the PWs work during this event? NEVER MIND SAW YOUR THREAD,

Did you put your referral code on a banner in your front yard?

Because of the lack of communication this week on the grid situation, when we lost power, we made the assumption it could be days before power was restored (Galveston ended up losing power for more than 3 days). So we took drastic steps to cut down on power usage, just in case we didn't get power restored for several days - and the possibility there might not be enough sun to do much recharging for the PowerWalls.

After a hurricane, we're confident we can run for days off grid, and still use much of the house, including one of the air conditioners - since skies usually clear after the hurricane passes.

A winter outage is something we didn't anticipate - when skies stay cloudy longer - and power is needed to keep critical items from freezing (pool).

One positive out of this - we'll be better prepared for the next hurricane...

P.S. - when the power went out, our house and our neighbor's house (they have a generator) still had all of our outside lights on - which made it pretty clear we had power, when everyone else was out...