Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not permitted to drive CPO as part of delivery inspection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm in the process of purchasing a CPO - er "used" - 2015 Model S. Meaning, I have put down a deposit. The Tesla people are still looking for the title, and I am in a state where I cannot purchase the car without the title.

The car has already been transported to the local Tesla Service Center, so I was allowed to come check out the car despite them not yet having the title. It generally looked in excellent condition, except for a few small scratches that were not evident in the relatively low quality dropbox photos. In contrast to some of the horror stories on here, the car was very well detailed and just washed. As I was playing with the system, I could see every navigation point the previous owner even went too - this seems like a big oversight not to have deleted this and obviously I didn't look closely here.

Anyway, I asked if I could drive the car as part of the inspection, I was told that this was not permitted, because the car "is not registered." However, no dealer cars are registered prior to purchase - isn't that the purpose of dealer plates? I was then told that there was a 3 day return policy and anything would be fixed under warranty. Closely reading the forums here, I know that there is no return policy for used cars, and I corrected the associate. He then checked with his manager, who confirmed that he was mistaken about the return policy and also that I wouldn't be able to drive the car as part of the inspection.

But I just want to check with collective knowledge of everyone here: Is it true you cannot drive a car before signing the papers? What if there is a squeak, a rattle, etc. - and then the car has to be immediately left with the service center? As well documented here, the CPO/used process seems very broken but this seems totally unacceptable to not be able to drive the car that is sitting in the lot with my deposit on it.

Additionally, there are two recalls on the car: Steering assembly and Takata airbags. Wouldn't it be standard to address these before pickup? Communication doesn't seem definite if they can do these.

How hard should I press them to repair the paint scratches - see pic? Has anyone had luck having them repair undisclosed damage?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Attachments

• Scratches.jpg
    Scratches.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Hi All,

I'm in the process of purchasing a CPO - er "used" - 2015 Model S. Meaning, I have put down a deposit. The Tesla people are still looking for the title, and I am in a state where I cannot purchase the car without the title.

The car has already been transported to the local Tesla Service Center, so I was allowed to come check out the car despite them not yet having the title. It generally looked in excellent condition, except for a few small scratches that were not evident in the relatively low quality dropbox photos. In contrast to some of the horror stories on here, the car was very well detailed and just washed. As I was playing with the system, I could see every navigation point the previous owner even went too - this seems like a big oversight not to have deleted this and obviously I didn't look closely here.

Anyway, I asked if I could drive the car as part of the inspection, I was told that this was not permitted, because the car "is not registered." However, no dealer cars are registered prior to purchase - isn't that the purpose of dealer plates? I was then told that there was a 3 day return policy and anything would be fixed under warranty. Closely reading the forums here, I know that there is no return policy for used cars, and I corrected the associate. He then checked with his manager, who confirmed that he was mistaken about the return policy and also that I wouldn't be able to drive the car as part of the inspection.

But I just want to check with collective knowledge of everyone here: Is it true you cannot drive a car before signing the papers? What if there is a squeak, a rattle, etc. - and then the car has to be immediately left with the service center? As well documented here, the CPO/used process seems very broken but this seems totally unacceptable to not be able to drive the car that is sitting in the lot with my deposit on it.

Additionally, there are two recalls on the car: Steering assembly and Takata airbags. Wouldn't it be standard to address these before pickup? Communication doesn't seem definite if they can do these.

How hard should I press them to repair the paint scratches - see pic? Has anyone had luck having them repair undisclosed damage?

The car looks great! You should see if they can replace the bumper since the scratches weren't shown in the photos or maybe they can give you a credit (not sure if they have ability to adjust the price). I think you're correct that they don't let you test drive the used car. Fortunately if there are any mechanical issues, they're covered under the warranty.

Reactions: PhilDavid
They do not let you test drive. And boy do I wish they would. My car looked great but had serious flaws evident while driving.

2015 build quality is not the best.

I would not recommend to anyone to purchase an older vehicle without driving it first knowing what I know now.

And don’t believe the “Service will make it right after delivery” pitch. They can only do so much with these older vehicles.

They do not let you test drive. And boy do I wish they would. My car looked great but had serious flaws evident while driving.

I would not recommend to anyone to purchase an older vehicle without driving it first knowing what I know now.

And don’t believe the “Service will make it right after delivery” pitch. They can only do so much with these older vehicles.

My 2015 Model S had better build quality than my 2018 Model 3. Part of me wishes I would have kept it.

In any case the approach I take to this kind of thing is to remain in control. If you haven't purchased a vehicle then you remain in control. So whatever is wrong with the vehicle has to be taken care of before you sign on the dotted line.

Tesla plays a bunch of silly games with their CPO program which makes it really frustrating. I was so opposed to the CPO program that I felt bad trading in my Model S. It would have been more respectful to the CAR to sell it private party or to a dealer. Whoever got my used one got a really nice car.

Yeah, so it seems the consensus it that they don't let you drive the car. That's really an unfortunate policy. I certainly wouldn't want to end up with a squeaky rattler.

The rest of the car looks so good (nearly new - see pics - actual photos, not the crappy dropbox ones) that I would be hesitant to "roll the dice" again to transfer my deposit to a different VIN.
20190119_115953.jpg
20190119_113719.jpg
20190119_115940.jpg
20190119_114045.jpg

Maybe I'll ask if a Tesla tech can test drive it and document that there are no squeaks/rattles/shimmies, or that if any occur I could have it in writing that these would be covered by the warranty.

I appreciate all your input. This will be my first car purchased as cash purchase so want to optimize everything : )

I
20190119_113734.jpg
20190119_115953.jpg

Hi BXTR,

That is a gorgeous car... My wife's Tesla is a Model S 85 D from 2015.
It has been and is a great car. They have not yet performed the 2 recalls that you mentioned.
I believe that they are manufacturing and accumulating parts for the recalls.
I did a temporary fix on the power steering while waiting for the recall.
The procedure is outlined here somewhere.

I would suggest that a Tesla employee drive the car with you as a passenger.
It is not the same as you driving, but it is better that nothing or the unknown.

Best wishes and good luck, You should love the car,

Shawn

Hi BXTR,

That is a gorgeous car... My wife's Tesla is a Model S 85 D from 2015.
It has been and is a great car. They have not yet performed the 2 recalls that you mentioned.
I believe that they are manufacturing and accumulating parts for the recalls.
I did a temporary fix on the power steering while waiting for the recall.
The procedure is outlined here somewhere.

I would suggest that a Tesla employee drive the car with you as a passenger.
It is not the same as you driving, but it is better that nothing or the unknown.

Best wishes and good luck, You should love the car,

Shawn

Thank you - thanks for your encouragement and for the excellent suggestion to ride as passenger. Really appreciate your time to respond so helpfully!

Check the used car warranty I thought it exclude squeaks, rattles, and maybe even wind noise. (But I can't seem to find a link to it on the Tesla site right now.)

You're absolutely correct:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/northamerica-preowned-extended-warranty.pdf

Under Additional Limitations and Exclusion:
"General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration..."

Hi All,

There is a very easy solution.

Ask them to either let you test drive the car or have them agree to in writing that if you find squeaks, rattles, alignment or other issues when you drive the car that they will agree to fix such issues.

Surely, they can't take the position that you are forbidden from finding out about issues with the car that are only evident when you drive the car and then also tell you that any such issues will not be fixed. They should either let you test drive the car so you know what you are buying or agree to fix squeaks/rattles if they are present.

The bit about not allowing test drives due to registration issues is nonsense because we all know they have used their CPO fleet as loaner cars. They have dealer plates that can be used to drive any car in their inventory.

I submit that the MS 2015 is the best build quality to date.

The only way to fix is this to not buy the cars unless they let people test drive them. What Tesla is doing now is like a local sit down/dine-in restaurant near me did, that went out of business. They had your order then pay, and then bring the food. In essence, no belief in their own product.

On the other hand, I got a 2013 CPO in 2015 that they basically made into a new 2013, with several upgrades thrown in, and even 6 months ago they upgraded the spray nozzles to the 2018 version for free. They set an incredibly high bar that, unfortunately, they could/will not sustain.

Tesla needs to find a happy medium instead of a pendulum that swings to extremes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren Donovan