Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Note left on my windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
02C29A1B-79C0-4E2C-96D1-7B081F6CEDC0.jpeg

Backstory: My family and I went to a winery in Napa. The winery has two Tesla destination chargers but since I didn't need the juice I parked at a regular spot. When I went back to my car I found this note on my windshield, my theory:
- A Volt owner saw a spot that said "electric vehicle only" and decided that he/she can park there
- A Tesla owner thought that was disconsidered because the spot was clearly for Tesla's only (there was no other type of charger) and left this note on the Volt
- The Volt owner came back, found the note, and decided to find a Tesla that wasn't charging (mine) and reply to the note

If you ask me both dirvers were wrong.
- The Tesla owner failed at explained that only Tesla owners can charge there and it is disconsidered to block someone's ability to charge
- The Volt owner was right that it said "electric vehicle owner" but he/she should realize that is not a parking spot but a charging spot.

This is the first time that I've got "slap" for owning a Tesla and I wasn't even me! I was really excited to get the person on camera - I have a blackvue cam installed - but sadly when I access it to find he video it was too late after and the video was gone - I clearly need a larger ssd card.

Last edited:
Good thing there wasn’t real collateral damage to your car since the Volt owner assumed you had left the note. As widely discussed/debated in the various “unplugged” threads, these incidences are only going to increase as the world continues the shift to EV.
Saw the first bad Tesla driver example yesterday in fact. We were at a venue where there were five ChargePoint stalls literally right up front by the entrance. Everyone else (non-Tesla!) was plugged in save the Model S. He/she wasn’t even backed in, a tell tale sign that it was being used as a parking spot (not always, but in general a true statement).

IMO, if there was no other charging available, except for Teslas, then the owner of the property needs to change the sign to Tesla charging only and specify you can only park there if you are charging.

However, if I recall correctly since this was a destination charger and not a Supercharger, don't they make adapters for the Tesla connectors to J1772? In that sense, then technically everyone should be able to charge provided they have the correct adapter?

However, if I recall correctly since this was a destination charger and not a Supercharger, don't they make adapters for the Tesla connectors to J1772? In that sense, then technically everyone should be able to charge provided they have the correct adapter?

That is correct.

I'll never understand why people feel the need to write notes about the subject. I can see maybe saying something if all stalls are filled and the other EV driver is present. Otherwise; MYOB and get over it.

Reactions: RScottyL
IMO, if there was no other charging available, except for Teslas, then the owner of the property needs to change the sign to Tesla charging only and specify you can only park there if you are charging.

Yup, that is exactly what I thought when I saw the spot but if there are adapters - I didn't know that - for other EVs to use the destination chargers then the sign is correct.

What it is completely wrong Tesla or not is to use a charging station as a "priority" parking spot.