Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notifications are telling me the trunk is open when it’s closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the actuator in the trunk latch has failed. It’s a common problem. I had the same fixed under warranty by the service center. Raise a ticket through the app. When mine failed the trunk wouldn’t even open.

I have the exact same issue with my 2015 85D. Have an appointment at the service center for tomorrow...been waiting three weeks to get it serviced. Quite annoying having to listen to the error dings when starting driving. Only impact to driving is no TACC available. Hoping service center can fix while I wait since it is a 90 mile drive each way.

Any resolution here? Scouring the internet for possible solutions. I’m thinking it has to do with extremely cold temps/snow covering a sensor of sorts. After being locked out with a flat yesterday, I figured out that was the issue with handles not responding. Tesla rep could not open it from their office. One would think they would ask if the sensors could be covered with snow/ice? In any event, I’ll wait to see if anyone replies - if not, I’ll post a follow up and hope it helps someone in the future.

(2020 Model S, Perf.)

Any resolution here? Scouring the internet for possible solutions. I’m thinking it has to do with extremely cold temps/snow covering a sensor of sorts. After being locked out with a flat yesterday, I figured out that was the issue with handles not responding. Tesla rep could not open it from their office. One would think they would ask if the sensors could be covered with snow/ice? In any event, I’ll wait to see if anyone replies - if not, I’ll post a follow up and hope it helps someone in the future.

(2020 Model S, Perf.)
Well, that was quick. I opened and shut it on the app. Problem solved. It appears when I locked out yesterday, I was trying to get in anywhere I could, pushing on the open trunk via app and manually. It appears as if I had it open within the app although it was closed. Simply needed to get them on the same page. It was the first time the “Tessie” app sent me notification and I believe that was the culprit. In addition, my alarm went off in the garage on 2 different occasions in the middle of the night. I don’t have the background to technically analyze, but I’m thinking the two are somehow related.

Live to drive EV another day.

-SweetMonkey

I had intermittent failure of the frunk sensor. Would give warnings and set off the alarm at night. Tesla replaced it and all is well now. I’d guess it’s the sensor and not the actuator…

Mine just seemed to fail putting my grocery bags back in. Just beeps 4 times after it bounces off the latch. Tried the app/screen and manual and it won't activate the suction motor to pull it down.
Opened a service ticket too.

This happened to me about 6 time this last winter in sub freezing temperatures but no ice on the car to cause an issue.

Verified the trunk was locked when I left and about 20-30 minutes later I get a notice that the trunk is open. Used the app to cycle it since I was away from the car and it reset ok for the rest of the day.

I'll have to see what happens next winter.