Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nov 14 9PM: "Mars" on Nat Geo TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like the fictional aspect of these stories. I know the writers are trying for something more engaging than a science and engineering lecture. but it is painful to watch how unprepared, how poorly thought out things are in this fictional account.

Reactions: e-FTW and S'toon
I was impressed... but also made aware that unless we find something revolutionary better in the coming years to reduce the dangers of traveling to and landing on Mars, 2030 is way too soon to undergo the risks.
If the first explorers to circumnavigate the world had waited for better and safer forms of transportation than what they had available 500 years ago their discoveries would have occurred centuries later.

We currently have a fairly good understanding of the risks incurred in traveling to Mars. Yes, we don't have a complete understanding. But we will only get that understanding by actually going there. Some people will die. Some people died in the Apollo lunar program (see Apollo 1 - Wikipedia ).

So I have watched the first two episodes through the Nat Geo website and am now trying to watch the 3rd episode at Pressure Drop

However, it appears that it is not yet available on the web? Or am I missing something? It looks like the 4th episode has been broadcast so I thought the 3rd episode would be available on the website. (I do not have cable TV)

• Helpful
Reactions: Brass Guy
So I have watched the first two episodes through the Nat Geo website and am now trying to watch the 3rd episode at Pressure Drop

However, it appears that it is not yet available on the web? Or am I missing something? It looks like the 4th episode has been broadcast so I thought the 3rd episode would be available on the website. (I do not have cable TV)
National Geographic Films

Not sure if it violates copyright though

Saw the last episode yesterday. I like the combination of documentary and drama. Thought they did a great job, especially the art direction. However, they should have paid more attention to what it really would look like. I cannot imagine space freighters taking heavy metal desks, cabinets and chairs to Mars. Having corridors (there's a long one connecting the greenhouse) is just a waste of space. Leave one person abandoned who obviously posed a risk and who only had to open one door to destroy the greenhouse and lab is highly unlikely. Lots of ins and outs were being discussed. Can't remember any expert saying something about the less than 0.4 gravity, which will be disastrous to the human body.

Reactions: e-FTW
The problem I had with that episode is that the wife ran through the complex when she saw what was happening. Why didn't she go on the intercom (which we saw working in the botany lab) and tell someone closer to go in and tackle the guy - instead of wasting all that time running to NOT get to him in time?

Reactions: e-FTW and voyager
The problem I had with that episode is that the wife ran through the complex when she saw what was happening. Why didn't she go on the intercom (which we saw working in the botany lab) and tell someone closer to go in and tackle the guy - instead of wasting all that time running to NOT get to him in time?
Overall I've found the series entertaining and informative, especially the 2016 segments. Ron Howard and company did force me to suspend my beliefs at times during some of the 2030's Mars scenes. For example, the astronaut that was lowered into the extinct lava tube searching for critical ice or water. For several minutes the surface crew kept begging for a description of the dark environment. There was virtually no response from the astro, until she spotted some ice. Seemed like a painful lack of dialogue. Soon afterwards, all was well, with the entire crew settled safely at the bottom of the tube. Still wondering how the last man down the tube (the surface crane operator) was able to join them. Just gotta learn to let go sometimes!

Reactions: e-FTW
... For several minutes the surface crew kept begging for a description of the dark environment. There was virtually no response from the astro, until she spotted some ice. Seemed like a painful lack of dialogue. Soon afterwards, all was well, with the entire crew settled safely at the bottom of the tube. Still wondering how the last man down the tube (the surface crane operator) was able to join them.
The lack of response from crew members bothers me the most. That would not happen with any trained group in a dangerous setting, and it happens many times in the series for dramatic effect.
Otherwise I've enjoyed the series so far.

Yes, the series is full of the usual Hollywood added drama and emotion in ways that are completely unrealistic for the actual mission being portrayed. It annoys me as well but I try to ignore it.

I also wondered how the last person got to the bottom and then how any of them were going to get back to the surface. Apparently the crane can be controlled remotely and is somehow going to be able to be recharged via remote control as well.

That is the last episode I have seen because I don't have cable and watched the episodes using the link that @Fallenone posted but then that link no longer worked. Looks like I will have to wait until the series is available through iTunes or Netflix.