TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nova Scotia Super Chargers on Model 3 Unveil Screen

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Matthew Lock, May 31, 2016.

1. Matthew Lock

Matthew Lock Member

I'm a Model 3 booker in Halifax and I've been dying to find out if they will announce superchargers in Nova Scotia or at least in the Maritimes. I was watching the Model 3 unveil again (the news updates are a little few and far between nowadays) and when Elon was talking about doubling the number of superchargers, I noticed the map behind him. It looked to me like it showed a straight line through NS of supercharger sites. It's pretty foggy so I compared it with the map of North America.

I'm no imaging or Photoshop expert (I used paint), but I laid them out next to each other and compared the shape of the landmass and it looks to me like it is Nova Scotia. At least we can assume it's coming relatively soon. Any thoughts?

East.png

• Like x 1
  2. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Wow. I hadn't paid much attention to the details there, but I think you are onto something! We live in MD, but are from New England and vacation in Maine, aspiring to visit NS and NFLD so that's very exciting!

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I thought I spotted some in SK on that image when it was on screen, but don't want to get my hopes up due to wishful thinking.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I wouldn't put much stock in that. Probably some graphic artist put a bunch of dots along highways on a continental map.

• Like x 2
  5. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Saskatchewan? Yeah that map is probably wrong then. Lol

6. 5YJSA

5YJSA Member

HOLD THE PHONE! My original post is below.

But just before posting, I checked supercharge.info and specifically the "Changes" page.

Brewer, ME (i.e. Bangor, ME) has received a supercharger permit!

That is a Very Good Thing.

But still...

I really want to believe you're right. I'm from NS too, although I've been away for a while now. I put a reservation down on a Model 3, got impatient, then bought a Model S--delivery in less than a month now (I hope). I'm planning a trip to Halifax as soon as it comes in.

And it's a pain in the ass to get to NS right now. Unless you spring for a Chademo connector ($450!), Maine is a wasteland for fast charging or even destination charging. NB isn't much better. You just can't get to NS quickly. Driving a Tesla (or, I suppose, any electric car) to NS right now is like stepping back a century in time as soon as you pass Magog / Drummondville, QC, or Augusta, ME.

I doubt we should get our hopes up too much based on the map at the release event though.

1. The "points" on Elon's infographic are obviously only "planned" and Tesla's plans change.

2. See the joke that Tesla has played on us with Riviere-du-Loup. (Click the "Charts" link at supercharge.info and scroll to the bottom.)

3. The points on that map will likely be superchargers AND destination chargers. Destination chargers are nice, but many require you to be actually staying at a hotel, so they're not useful for highway travel mid-day / mid-route.

My dream is for superchargers near:

Truro
    Annapolis Royal
    Shelburne
    and, of course:
    the Canso Causeway
    Cheticamp
    Sydney
    so we can drive the Cabot Trail without scorching the planet.

7. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

NB is far worse than Maine but neither are impossible. Maine has Superchargers and CHAdeMO stations. You really should have your own CHAdeMO adaptor going forward since Ontario and Quebec are doing a massive CHAdeMO rollout that easily eclipses the Supercharger network, and there are two L3 stations in NS already.

As long as you plan to drive your full battery capacity and then overnight somewhere (for me, likely Fredericton), leaving the next morning with a full charge just about gets you back onto the SC network, with a little top up on the way. Just requires modest planning.

8. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Maine to Nova Scotia Ferry Service | The CAT

Toronto to Portland is an easy supercharging highway trip.

9. 5YJSA

5YJSA Member

Well...

I need to drop my gf in Moncton on the way, and I need to see my mother and sister in Moncton before heading to Halifax this time too. So direct to Halifax doesn't work for me this time.

Plus, the CAT? Nah. I bought the Tesla to drive, not to pay to have it sit on a ship.

Also, it's 100+ km from the Seabrook supercharger to Portland. It's another 300+ km from Yarmouth to Halifax. That's pushing the upper range of my 75D, which means I'd have to stop somewhere for slow charging before or after the ferry. Lame.

And I don't like the idea of relying on a ferry that has a habit of going bankrupt. And crushing people. ;-)

• Dislike x 1
  10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Yeesh. Just trying to help...

Anyway, my wife has declared she is more interested in a trip to north shore of St Lawrence in Quebec, and I've begun investigations into that trip, so Nova Scotia will wait for another year.

11. 5YJSA

5YJSA Member

I think my sarcasm lost something in translation to text. I appreciated the suggestion. ;-)

• Like x 1