Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

November delivery of my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What explained the booms and lulls ? Were they accumulating cars ?
Without knowing exactly what was going on, it seemed to be very closely tied to a factory push to get quarterly delivery numbers up. The same with the S. It never made a lot of sense to me, but reading this forum for 3 years, that's how it played out. And end of quarter cars were anecdotally of poorer quality. That was certainly the case with my X, which I did not want delivered at quarter end. Once I got the email, though, I knew the car had been built and I had no control over it.

Eventually all was made right and it's been solid, but I wouldn't want one of those bulk end of quarter deliveries again. Just in case.

The situation for m3 'may' be different as 1/ its is easier to build with no fancy FWD those alignment & seals were a nightmare as in the X and 2/ first bottleneck is battery pack. Clearly they will push as many cars as they can like with any previous models, but if build quality is overall better (because simpler) but we may have a more steady production increase with less lulls. Few weeks ago Elon 'predicted' opening of the configurator for regular customers within 6 to 8 weeks, that deadline is coming in a couple of weeks :p
For what it's worth, latest rumor on reddit now says 70 to 80 m3/week, one can dream we may have single digits customers getting their email by Nov 30. :rolleyes:

The end of the quarter delivery for US is due to the logistic. First/Second month of the quarter's build goes to the international market since it takes time to ship them and get it delivered before end of the quarter. Third month is allocated to US/Canada mostly.

…which won't be an issue with the 3 since the mooselords and overseas folks won't get theirs for a year or more.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
One would think after their experiences with the first roadster and then Model S and then Model X, Tesla shouldn’t have any ‘botttleneck’ with their battery assembly situation.

Furthermore, the so-called 30 first production units are nothing more than Beta-testing ones.

This is, IMO, Business 101 aka Using Other People’s Money.
Tesla got about $400,000,000 interest free to use and now they tried to do the same with the trucks & roadster.

Elon Musk got great vision but...

Last edited:
it might make sense for Elon to consider collaborating with a automotive giant to build the model3s. While Tesla can take its time to "learn" how to mass-produce quality cars, the other aim of Tesla is to steer the world faster to sustainable transport. In order to achieve this bigger deal, it might be better to hand over the M3 design to Ford/GM or MB and build a revenue/profit share in return for mass production. The world will be a better place by having M3s sooner.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61 and Ivan.R
it might make sense for Elon to consider collaborating with a automotive giant to build the model3s.
Elon's goal is to make Tesla's production system (aka "alien dreadnought", aka "the machine that makes the machine") a strategic competitive advantage. He's not going to out source his manufacturing, he's going to optimized it like no-one else can, just like their cars.

Reactions: Ivan.R and IdaX
Elon's goal is to make Tesla's production system (aka "alien dreadnought", aka "the machine that makes the machine") a strategic competitive advantage. He's not going to out source his manufacturing, he's going to optimized it like no-one else can, just like their cars.
That will be some interesting optimizing. If they are lucky they will build 350,000 cars next year. 17 million will be sold in the US and 85 million worldwide.

That will be some interesting optimizing. If they are lucky they will build 350,000 cars next year. 17 million will be sold in the US and 85 million worldwide.
In 2013 they sold ~17k cars, so 350k sales in 2018 is a ~20x increase in production. Another ~20x increase from 2018 to 2023 would be about one out of every three cars sold in the US.