Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

November delivery of my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I was eluding to is that if you have over 400K pre-orders of a product wouldn’t it be prudent to attempt to fulfill some of those orders first prior to utilizing resources on other ventures/products, etc? I think the semi and roadster are great and definitely a plus for Tesla. I’m not a businessman so perhaps that’s how most big businesses operate. Just looking at it from a “common sense” point of view.
“Common sense” would suggest that the people working on prototypes are very different from the people who work on manufacturing. I guarantee that every other car company out there has multiple model years in the pipeline.

“Common sense” would suggest that the people working on prototypes are very different from the people who work on manufacturing. I guarantee that every other car company out there has multiple model years in the pipeline.
Unfortunately, common sense among the general public is few and far between nowadays. I have every reason to believe that the general consensus on this topic is: Tesla is "slacking on Model 3 production simply because everyone over there was focused on the new Roadster prototype"

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and Tonymil
I have some knowledge that there are people who work for Tesla only on prototypes of future vehicles. They will continue to work on "the next big thing" regardless if there are any issues / delays with the current models. It is mostly a separate set of resources. Now in terms of turning those concept vehicles they just showed into production vehicles... Those engineers may still be lingering on Model 3 related details before they switch over to engineering production versions of these newly announced models.

Can we just cut OP some slack? There is a thing called opportunity costs. Every dollar spent on X is a dollar not spent on everything that is not X. And opportunity costs aren't just limited to money, it applies to any resource, including "attention". You may be able to walk and talk at the same time, but maybe, if you hadn't been talking, you would've noticed that turd you just stepped on. The problems with the Model 3 battery packs were so bad that Elon was camping out and sleeping at the gigafactory. Clearly he hasn't been devoting all his attention to the battery packs while he was preparing for and attending this latest reveal. Has the battery pack issue been fixed? Maybe. Or maybe Elon diverted his attention from the battery packs to attend to this matter and now will finally be getting back to the batteries. I don't know and you don't know, but it is a possibility. So cut OP some slack please.

Yep, that's why I'm thinking I'll be configuring in a few days and get my 3 no later than the middle of December. He obviously wasn't going to divert his focus to the big dog and pony show yesterday if he was needed in Nevada. Obviously Model 3s must be flying off the assembly line. This will be a sweet Xmas gift to myself.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: C141medic
If by some miracle I find out that my M3 is getting delivered in December I'll have to figure out where I can get one of those giant red bows you see in all the car commercials this time of year. :D
We need to get together all of the November-December non-employee M3 recipients for a group Christmas/Whatever-late-December-holiday-makes-you-happy photo with our cars. We can probably fit all of us and our cars into a local Fremont Starbucks.

Can we just cut OP some slack? There is a thing called opportunity costs. Every dollar spent on X is a dollar not spent on everything that is not X.

But did you think about where all these dollars come from ? The funding pipe carrying all the dollars into the factory, what if that runs dry. X or not X does not matter to investors who look at the bigger picture, the products in the pipeline i.e. the long term road map. It's a delicate balancing act I would think.

Reactions: SageBrush
You are conflating the reveal with the prototype effort

Do you really think Franz should be on the production floor ?
How about the clay modelers ?
Perhaps the power electronics people, even though the Model 3 delay is related to pack assembly in the Gigafactory ?

You may be that remarkably versatile, but most people have areas of expertise.

Last edited:
You are conflating the reveal with the prototype effort

Do you really think Franz should be on the production floor ?
How about the clay modelers ?
Perhaps the power electronics people, even though the Model 3 delay is related to pack assembly in the Gigafactory ?

You may be that remarkably versatile, but most people have areas of expertise.
My point I was trying to make is that he was diverting resources, no matter if it was the prototype or the reveal, away from the M3. That’s why he delayed the Semi reveal. If you read the article Elon is quoted as stating that point: "Tesla Semi unveil now Nov 16," Musk saidon Friday on Twitter. "Diverting resources to fix Model 3 bottlenecks & increase battery production for Puerto Rico & other affected areas." Anyhoo, now that the Semi and Roadster reveal is over let’s all hope M3 “production hell” is nearing an end.

Reactions: gillfoto
Elon is not just another businessman. That's a far too simplified view of the world, of Tesla and the tech industry. Sorry.
EM is playing this exactly the way just about all startups play it: promising the world is what attracts venture capital, not making careful, sober assessments. If a startup CEO was honest and realistic, well, they'd never start anything. The odds are just too horrible. So long as "something big" and "world changing" and "disruptive" is on the table, you can get VC attention (for a while). Remember the invention that was going to revolutionize global transportation? No. Not Tesla. That was Segway. "Revolution" became "visual joke" when they finally shipped.
So keeping all the plates spinning is not just a good idea for a startup. It's mandatory. Even better if you can add plates to keep VC eyeballs focused on the future. But it's exhausting. You can only run so fast (or camp out on some many factory rooftops). Of course, once they're in deep the VC community doesn't want to see all those spinning plates come crashing down, either. Dollars and reputations are on the line. So you keep moving, moving, moving. Roadster. S. X (oops). Model 3 was where it was all going to change, where Tesla was going to grow up to be a post-startup. But overpromising becomes a hard habit to break, especially when it's worked. So you rely on people's willingness to forgive, their enthusiasm for your mission, and your ability to sell the VC community on your Next Big Thing in order to bring your Last Big Thing to market.
I think we saw that a few days ago, and it seems like it was a success.
The problems come when people stop forgiving, stop believing in you. The Semi looks promising and the new Roadster is undeniably cool. But Tesla has only so long to put all their Model 3 marbles in one sack before that begins to happen.
I hope they clear that bottleneck soon.
Robin

i think some folks are losing sight of the actual situation on the M3 holdup. Tesla has identified the problem as being with the battery assembly step. In fixing this problem only the folks who are experts in this process and management decision makers are relevant. Anyone else is irrelevant and their involvement would only interfere with the solution.

If your house fails an inspection due to an electrical problem, do you really want the plumber, the carpenter and the painter to stop what they are doing and help the electrician?

Makes no sense to me how you can announce two new vehicles when one model isn’t widely available yet but you’ve taken a massive amount of pre-orders. IMHO, he’s stretching himself very thin.
Elon has always “stretched himself very thin”, it is his MO. And he accomplishes incredible things that the old guard says can’t be done.

EM is playing this exactly the way just about all startups play it: promising the world is what attracts venture capita
Tesla is way past the VC stage. It is no longer a startup. It is a public company with a market cap of over $50 billion.

Elon has always “stretched himself very thin”, it is his MO. And he accomplishes incredible things that the old guard says can’t be done.

Tesla is way past the VC stage. It is no longer a startup. It is a public company with a market cap of over $50 billion.
By the numbers, absolutely. But...I don't think that how a company is run and how much its stock is worth today, this week or this year are the same things.
Robin

Model 3 was where it was all going to change, where Tesla was going to grow up to be a post-startup.

I think this is still the case. Gotta remember that the bottlenecks are just nothing more than teething problems and totally expected and warned about before the production started. What kind of production hell would it be if everything went according to plan? Delay of 3 months, hell, even if it ends up 6 months, will be just a small glitch nobody will remember when we look at Tesla in a year. Does anybody remember or care about delays of S or X? No, they're both established and mature products at the moment.

I think a lot of people are seeing current issues as ultimate failure of Tesla and that there's no future for the company. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

A tech company has to continue innovating and keep chasing "the next big thing". Otherwise it becomes "legacy". And as many people mentioned, resources for development of the new Roadster or the Semi are completely different than to ramp the 3, maybe except for Elon and few other execs.

If you're "imagining" you could get your car this month, then you're not getting it this month. You'll get an email several months before delivery.
When waiting on my X, I did not get an email several months before delivery. I got it a couple of weeks before delivery, as did many of us who had cars built at the end of Q1 2016. And I didn't even have a P90D, so it definitely came as a big surprise.

If it's anything like previous early builds in Tesla's history, there's going to be a sudden boom in production (end of December deliveries?) followed by a lull, followed by another boom (March 2018), followed by a lull, etc. until they can consistently build them. I'm hopeful it's a bit more metered, but that's not what the history tells us.

When waiting on my X, I did not get an email several months before delivery. I got it a couple of weeks before delivery, as did many of us who had cars built at the end of Q1 2016. And I didn't even have a P90D, so it definitely came as a big surprise.

If it's anything like previous early builds in Tesla's history, there's going to be a sudden boom in production (end of December deliveries?) followed by a lull, followed by another boom (March 2018), followed by a lull, etc. until they can consistently build them. I'm hopeful it's a bit more metered, but that's not what the history tells us.
What explained the booms and lulls ? Were they accumulating cars ?

Reactions: Pkmmte