Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now Michelin Tires are in short supply and Tesla is substituting [june 2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this was reported here in LR delivery thread some time ago. It looks like a minority of units have Hankook. Most recent deliveries for the LR have Michelin, including mine.

I personally wish they would switch to an EV-optimized tire like the ones from Pirelli or Michelin. But maybe those aren't yet made in large enough quantities for Tesla.

Mine came with the Hankook tires and so far after about 1k miles I have no issues with them, however they are still quite new and conditions have been warm and dry. If you look at the Tirerack reviews they get poor marks particularly for wet and winter conditions. My plan is to replace them before the snow flies here, which gives me an excuse to drive the crap out of them this summer.

Mine came with the Hankook tires and so far after about 1k miles I have no issues with them, however they are still quite new and conditions have been warm and dry. If you look at the Tirerack reviews they get poor marks particularly for wet and winter conditions. My plan is to replace them before the snow flies here, which gives me an excuse to drive the crap out of them this summer.
Hmmm, if mine ends up coming with Hankooks, this might be enough of a push for me to pull the trigger on a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. I love having dedicated winter tires right now, but I was debating trying out this car for a winter before deciding.

Hmmm, if mine ends up coming with Hankooks, this might be enough of a push for me to pull the trigger on a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. I love having dedicated winter tires right now, but I was debating trying out this car for a winter before deciding.
I thought about doing that too but a second set of 18" wheels and tires is another expense (don't forget $300 for 4 TPMS sensors) and takes up too much space in my crowded garage. I've found where I live at least on AWD cars/trucks I can get away with a good set of all seasons, but I choose carefully - they have to get good reviews in snow/ice. There are a few with the 3-peak snow rating, that's what I always seem to end up with. That said I have put dedicated winter tires on a FWD Chevy Bolt and it was better in the snow than a Model Y AWD with top rated 3-peak all seasons, so you do get something for your $$$.

I thought about doing that too but a second set of 18" wheels and tires is another expense (don't forget $300 for 4 TPMS sensors) and takes up too much space in my crowded garage. I've found where I live at least on AWD cars/trucks I can get away with a good set of all seasons, but I choose carefully - they have to get good reviews in snow/ice. There are a few with the 3-peak snow rating, that's what I always seem to end up with. That said I have put dedicated winter tires on a FWD Chevy Bolt and it was better in the snow than a Model Y AWD with top rated 3-peak all seasons, so you do get something for your $$$.
Yeah I have gotten used to the confidence my Blizzaks give me on my FWD Focus ST. I know I'll lose braking performance, but it's been about 7 years since I drove on all seasons. I've also never had an AWD car, so there's a few variables at play here.