Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you comparing brand new Hankook Kinergy GT vs Hankook Ion EVO especially for the road noise?

I ask because I have tested brand new both of them and the Kinergy GT were the quieter ones, thanks to Hankook offer of 30 days trial that I availed of at the Discount Tire.
No comparisons on Db. I don't have numbers but when the Kinergy GT's were at 3mm of tread life they were noisier than the brand new Ion Evo AS. 1 other thing, with the 94v rating going around hard corners sometimes the car would skitter a bit, this could have been the alignment. But for many thousands of miles the Kinergy 94v's going around hard corners at tesla speed would sometimes skitter just a bit. Like a blip up or something.

The new Ion Evo's AS have been perfect. I try not to speed or brake, but the times when I was slightly caught off guard or had to merge tight or misread a hard curve these tires have been awesome. The car was aligned perfect when I put the new Ion Evo AS. This also will affect or effect tight turns. But with the harder side walls and the heavier load index these tires are superior in everyway except for range. Probably going 20n w/h higher but the trade off is a no brainer.

Put another 3-4K miles on them. Road noise hasn't bothered me. Seems better but the tires are new.

Is there anything these tires do *worse* than the OEM Continental Pro Contact Rx? Just wondering why the Hankook Ion Evos are cheaper than the OEM tires. Are the OEM tires just hilariously overpriced?

I suspect the tire business works like this:
  • (a) manufacturer puts out bid requests
  • (b) tire makers respond
  • (c) manufacturer selects tire with good performance excepting tire life, demands major discounts
  • (d) tire makers agree because they can sell mature tires with low costs in aftermarket for big profit margins

Hankook is trying to compete (successfully) against the majors for market and mindshare. Over time their pricing will move up to maximum.

Reactions: fredjan
  • (c) manufacturer selects tire with good performance excepting tire life, demands major discounts
  • (d) tire makers agree because they can sell mature tires with low costs in aftermarket for big profit margins
For (c), the most important performance aspect for the tire is often low rolling resistance in order to get better EPA ratings. Tires on new vehicles are often among the lowest rolling resistance models; some other models of tires could be 10% or more worse in consumption of electricity or fuel.

Buyers of used cars with tires replaced by previous owners or dealers who find that the economy is worse than rated may want to check if the replacement tires were ones with higher rolling resistance.

Reactions: DrChaos
For (c), the most important performance aspect for the tire is often low rolling resistance in order to get better EPA ratings. Tires on new vehicles are often among the lowest rolling resistance models; some other models of tires could be 10% or more worse in consumption of electricity or fuel.

Buyers of used cars with tires replaced by previous owners or dealers who find that the economy is worse than rated may want to check if the replacement tires were ones with higher rolling resistance.

This is usually the case.

I think the Hankook iON is the first aftermarket with as good or better rolling resistance than original. The original Michelin MXM4 also have a low tread depth, which benefits efficiency and obviously lowers service life. The iON AS have a full tread depth and yet excellent RR.

Hankook is trying to compete (successfully) against the majors for market and mindshare. Over time their pricing will move up to maximum.
More often than not OE parts are approached quite differently. That part has to have characteristics that align and even emphasize the spirit of that product it is becoming a part of.

Pricing is of course as you described.

Just replaced my hankook kinergy gt on my 2022 m3lr. Had 44,800 miles and probably could of made it to 50k. Received 237wh in that timeframe from driving here in wisconsin. Just installed hankook ion evo, and the first ride is a eye opener. The ride is so much smoother and quiter than the kinergys ever were. Will get back with efficiencies after a few months. 2 thumbs up for hankook ion evo from this guy

Just replaced my hankook kinergy gt on my 2022 m3lr. Had 44,800 miles and probably could of made it to 50k. Received 237wh in that timeframe from driving here in wisconsin. Just installed hankook ion evo, and the first ride is a eye opener. The ride is so much smoother and quiter than the kinergys ever were. Will get back with efficiencies after a few months. 2 thumbs up for hankook ion evo from this guy
I have had Kinergy GT and they were very quiet upto 19k miles. Then they started getting noisy and ended up replacing them at 22k miles.

Reactions: DrChaos
Any reviews on the Hankook Ion EVO Summer tires?

IMG_9837.jpeg