Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@QBN_PC can probably answer this better, but it looks like there isn't really any particularly easy access to BP Marulan Northbound while travelling Southbound.
You have to go a few km south to the new quarry off ramp, rejoin the freeway northbound, and take the exit to the northbound service centre.

Once you're done, you drive through the middle of the old town, get depressed at how decrepit it all is, turn right at an old abandoned servo (that would have itself been an absolutely perfect knockdown rebuild charging site), and then duck under the freeway to rejoin it southbound.

Reactions: moa999
What do people think about adding these to supercharge.info?

There are so many, it would be a sea of blue dots. And probably for a while (I haven't seen a timeframe for completion in any of the articles over the last couple of days.)

Keen to hear what others think.

What about V4?
They don't even exist in the US yet.
The evenergi maps show that the sites will have at least 2 350KW chargers. To meet the NSW requirements.

"Each charging bay will have a rated output of at least 250kW, with 2+ bays having a rated output of 350kW."

I would think that means that at least some chargers at each site will be V4.

Although V3 stalls are being increased in power

It's not clear if the V4 stalls will be much different other than shell and cable length.

It's one of the more questionable requirements in the Tender that may have been negotiated out (like using Opal cards alongside credit cards as a payment mechanism) given I think Tesla's are pretty much the only 400V cars that can take above 200kW, and I'm not sure if 800V cars can actually take that many Amps when supplied at 400V.

What do people think about adding these to supercharge.info?

There are so many, it would be a sea of blue dots. And probably for a while (I haven't seen a timeframe for completion in any of the articles over the last couple of days.)

Keen to hear what others think.
I think they meet the planning criteria and should be added.

Some of the, at least non-tesla, site location dots in the evenergi map might be a little questionable. But that can be tweaked in time.

For instance the Wagga Wagga site has the dot over the road from the leaked Aussie Rules Club location ironically with the pin at the Ampol site there.

And as an aside, Holbrock, non-tesla, has the dot in the middle of town as there was no street number on the Ampol site, and there are two Ampols on that street though I would guess that the new one on the edge of the bypass is where that one is going.

The evenergi maps show that the sites will have at least 2 350KW chargers. To meet the NSW requirements.

"Each charging bay will have a rated output of at least 250kW, with 2+ bays having a rated output of 350kW."

I would think that means that at least some chargers at each site will be V4.
I'm thinking there might be some creativity used here.

e.g. maybe the units are rated for 350 kW, but only at 400V, so the cars which can get over 250 kW [on 800V ones] won't be able to on these units.

Similar to the AmpCharge units which don't permit many EVs to use full speed, because of a technical limitation.

Why would NSW Govt agree to do this? Because saying no to multiple 12 or 15 stall 250 kW sites would be stupid. The intention of the program (multiple stalls, speeds faster than 50-70 kW) is being met.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a timeframe for completion in any of the articles over the last couple of days.
The SMH article states "over the next two years".
Further to this,
"All stations will be built over the next 24 months with a mix of highway and inner-city sites."
From NSW presser,

It's a pretty significant bypass (14km) - not much either side of it. Looks like only about a 3km round-trip from the south end. The proposed supercharger site will be a bit further in than the existing Chargefox one.
There's full bidirectional intersections at Boambee and the Butterfly House to the south of the bypass, and Sapphire and Moonee to the north.

There's also a new intersection between the bypass and Coramba Rd but not much in the way of facilities out there.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
The Taree SC location is good - right in the middle of the main shopping centre. 12 charging bays!

When I first drove Sydney to Taree in early 2020, I had to charge at Nabiac on the way back. That was the only option. Evie Taree didn’t exist. Chargefox Karuah didn’t exist.

Now look where we are!

• Love
Reactions: Chuq and moa999
It is not really obvious but the Ampol Pheasants Nest is a 12 stall. It is two sites, each 6, on the north and south Ampol sites on the Hume.

Currently on the evenergi map the north site pin is correct but on the map from thedriven and SMH it appeared as a second Yass site as the north site address is listed as Hume Highway Pheasants and according to map data there is no Hume Highway in Pheasants Nest only the Hume Motorway. If you enter in Hume Highway Pheasants Nests, in google for example, it defaults to the equivalent of just entering Hume Highway which by default shows up just outside Yass on the Hume.

In a similar vein the Pheasants Nest South site is listed as 12 Hume Highway Pheasants Nest and entering this into navigation it shows up as 12 Hume Highway Liverpool, which is either an empty block or someone's house. This is were the dot for the second Pheasants Nest site is currently showing on the evenergi map. Which is wrong, there is no Ampol site in Liverpool.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
Good spotting. And the same error repeated on the Google Map conversion.

I also think the Ampol entries are actually probably 6 bays, likely 3 chargers (hopefully with only 1 CHADeMO)
The BP ones are mostly listed as 4 bays, 1x 360kW, 1x 150kW

The Tesla Jindabyne dot is also off (it's in water). Based on the Bay St description I assume its in one of the carparks along Banjo Paterson Park.

Last edited:
Good spotting. And the same error repeated on the Google Map conversion.

I also think the Ampol entries are actually probably 6 bays, likely 3 chargers
The BP ones are mostly listed as 4 bays, 1x 360kW, 1x 150kW
Yes, it will be three chargers per site, each serving two bays. From evenergi map again,

"One 335kW charger will service every two bays at this station."

All these new Ampol sites I have seen note this.

I am still hoping this is two concurrent vehicles charging per charger just with power sharing and unlike the Northmead and other recent Ampol ones it is not another dodge where a 180KW charger only does 200Amps so it means a 400V car, eg a tesla and almost all others, can only get around 70-80 KW max. So that power sharing really means around 150KW per vehicle. If so, there is no real difference to the v1 tesla style power sharing as it is really all down to usable charging cables.

And even though I have a vested interest in Chademo that any of those present are proportional, i.e at most one and maybe none depending on location.

Guess it depends what chargers they use.

335kW is oddly specific and doesn't line up with ABB (who have a 350) or Amplitronic Hypercharge who have a 300.

That said I don't think I've seen any non-Tesla chargers that go above 500A, which probably gives you a practical limit of about 190kW on 400V cars (noting voltage is typically lower at low SOC)

Last edited:
15 at Marulan will be good, but if they are all northbound I hope they put a good highway crossing option for southbound. Backtracking to the weigh station would be a pain. Still easier than trekking through Goulburn though.

Maybe it will be 9 northbound and 6 southbound? It would be odd to put all 15 northbound with no crossover 🤔 and probably not cheap to add one, even if it was a single lane tunnel like at Pheasants Nest.

Odd there's no southbound allowance at Wyong, I don't recall there being a convenient way to cross there.

I’m pretty sure there isn’t. There’s not even a back way into either of those - the only way in or out is from the freeway, and to go from one to the other means using the Sparks Rd Warnervale interchange about 3 km to the north.