Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that’s bizarre… on my iPad I seem to have a cached version of the evenergi map (even if I force a reload), because it only shows the Round 1 grant sites not Round 2. Further, I can still download the Round 1 layer and get the csv file from it.

On my desktop computer, the Round 2 layer does appear in the list, but attempting to download the layer results in a request to log in to my google account (if not logged in) or a ”403 Forbidden - you do not have access to this page” message after logging in. And the same thing happens trying to download the Round 1 layer.

I’m trying to capture the HTTPS traffic on my iPad to see if I can find out why the calls are successful on the cached site but not on the updated one, and if so, hack the cached requests to get access to the Round 2 layer file.

Or, I could just email the NSW Net Zero transport team and ask them for it (although they have completely ignored every email from me for the past 6 months… 🤔).

I've noted the BP site in Rutherford (west of Maitland, Hunter Valley) is listed in a shopping centre - there is a BP about 1km down the road,
As noted upthread, also Lake Macquarie. But in both cases the text specifies a Charter Hall shopping centre.
Maybe a power issue at the service station you know about?, or BP following the lead of Ampol, who also proposed some shopping centre sites in Phase One.

• Informative
Reactions: Midnight Man
Pins continue to be suspect.
There’s a quirk with the pin for the Tempe site. Searching for the address on Google Maps yields a pin that matches the location on the government map, yet that location makes no sense for a charging station.
IMG_2326.jpegIMG_2325.jpeg
Searching regular Google reveals the address is actually for the nearby Ikea complex, where an Evie site already exists. And an expansion of that site does actually make sense.

So don’t trust Google Maps, even if it agrees with the location of the pin on the government map.

Reactions: RichardV
I agree that not all pins seem to be in the right spot.
...and there are some dupes too, so making the overall numbers look bigger than they actually will be. Examples from just a quick 5 minute click around the map:
  • Jindabyne Supercharger (6 bay) is shown twice
  • Rydges/Horizon in Jindabyne (2*AC destination charger) is shown twice
  • M1 motorway northbound at Ampol (near Wyong) (10 bay) is shown twice
  • Campbelltown Supercharger is shown twice (once with 9 bays and once with 12)
  • Ampol Pheasant's Nest (Northbound) is shown twice (6 bays)

Which layers are you seeing that in. I only see Jindabyne once when I have Phase 1 and Phase 2 turned on.

This is with Existing chargers (<50kW and >50kW) on as well as the two rounds of Approved chargers. You can see the two entries for the two destination chargers at Rydges (top middle in aqua), ie they show there being 4 of them there when there are 2. The existing NRMA 50kW chargers are in the correct spot behind Nuggets Crossing.

Now for the Supercharger, there is an entry in the correct location in the Bowlo carpark next to Banjo Patterson Park BUT it is in the layer for existing chargers >50kW. PLUS there is also another entry in the Round 1 layer - purple dot to lower left of the legend panel - for the Supercharger shown in the waters of Pooh Bay near Townsend Street. So overall when someone takes that data for capacity planning, until it is corrected, it is showing a planned capacity for the town of 12 CCS2 plugs (plus the 2 NRMA ones), whereas it is in fact only 6+2.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 18.43.44.png

Screenshot_20231203-190301.png

Take the exisiting charger layer with a huge grain of salt. They have just taken a snapsnot of Plugshare and have not vetted any of the data.
They have not even removed any 'Coming Soon' locations which some of those can on occasion be quite speculative. And case in point here Jindabyne has a 'Coming Soon' entry in Plugshare and is hence showing in the 'exisiting' charger layer.
This does also mean for completed Round 1 sites, Campbelltown, Pheasants Nest etc you will see them in both the Round 1 layer and exisiting charger layer. With the exisiting charger layer generally moving pins into the correct location.

The Kiama Village Shopping Centre, address of the Kiama Supercharger, is currently undergoing some major redevelopments, particularly the parking lot. Although Tesla have until October 2025 for this site it might be interesting to see if the current works show any tell tale tesla electrical works.
Screenshot_20231204-005148.png

So maybe Early 2024...

The Kiama Village Shopping Centre, address of the Kiama Supercharger, is currently undergoing some major redevelopments, particularly the parking lot. Although Tesla have until October 2025 for this site it might be interesting to see if the current works show any tell tale tesla electrical works.View attachment 995981
So maybe Early 2024...
Though the conversion of 10 spaces from normal to EV charging would technically be an exempt from DA but as the larger DA required modifications had a bit of a look here.

The original DA had ear marked two spaces for EV charging. The latest DA modified DA dated 10 Feb 2023 included a modification of EV charging from 2 to 4.
Screenshot_20231204-072515.png

Screenshot_20231204-072457.png

No indication if these were intended as AC or DC EV charge locations but the latest modification was not anticipating Tesla Superchargers based on scale of charging. The time frame would have matched for them being under negotiations for the Tesla chargers though.

Also noting substation locations
Screenshot_20231204-072629.png

Screenshot_20231204-072732.png

Ref:Kiama Municipal Council - DA Online

I also found the Kiama Council have been quite proactive in trying for the NSW fast charging program in their area.
From IAppDesktop
Screenshot_20231204-073951.png

Screenshot_20231204-074021.png

Screenshot_20231204-074110.png

Though ultimately this one is not on public lands. It is a better location with fairly direct access from the highway and good facilities.

So 104 total sites
7 AMPCharge (4 to 10 bays)
17 BP (4 to 8 bays)
35 Evie (4 to 8 bays)
3 Gemtek IPD (4 to 8 bays)
4 NRMA (4 to 8 bays)
7 Tesla (10 to 15 bays)
1 UoW (6 bays)
30 Viva Energy (all 4 bays)

Confirms all the Tesla sites were picked up.
GPS coords for the sites without exact address don't help and I suspect we're generated from the address.

Last edited:
There’s a quirk with the pin for the Tempe site. Searching for the address on Google Maps yields a pin that matches the location on the government map, yet that location makes no sense for a charging station.
View attachment 995908View attachment 995907
Searching regular Google reveals the address is actually for the nearby Ikea complex, where an Evie site already exists. And an expansion of that site does actually make sense.

So don’t trust Google Maps, even if it agrees with the location of the pin on the government map.