Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NSW EV charging master plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moree getting a DC fastcharger?
It's an obvious hole in the NRMA network. Maybe for the future, or someone else is already quietly planning there so they are skipping it.

Attachments

• Moree.jpg
    Moree.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 75

I doubt council is the key issue in Moree. They probably have vandalism concerns.

There aren’t very many places in Moree that I’d walk away from my car. If it wasn’t for all the flies I’d suggest Amaroo Tavern, though Colesworths would be better.
Been there plenty of times and no issues. Just needs good site planning / negotiation ...eg a 24 hour servo or something...

Reactions: Hairyman
From email today

EV fast charging grants launched!
EV drivers will benefit from our $131 million investment into EV fast charging so any concerns of range anxiety are a thing of the past.
Under the NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy, our EV fast charging grants will co-fund private industry to build, own and operate charging stations across the state over the coming years. There is $35 million allocated for the first round, which opens on 2 February 2022.
Charge point operators – guidelines are now available to check your eligibility, merit criteria and site locations for round one. To find out more about the first-round application process, register for our industry information session on Wednesday 2 February.
Prospective site hosts – expressions of interest (EOI) are still open for you to become an EV fast charging site host. We’ll then pass on your details to charging point operators to discuss the opportunity to install and operate charging infrastructure on your site.

Reactions: Hairyman
Probably doesn't need its own thread, so figured here is a good place, but Western Sydney University (WSU) has in the last fortnight added four Tritium 50kW units spread throughout its campuses which add a useful spread to Sydney's DC chargers.

Includes
Richmond in the far NW - useful for Putty Rd trips
Kingsford in the W (near Evie Caddens Corner)
Campbeltown in the far SW (near the M1/Narellan Rd Interchange)
Parramatta/Rydalmere

Not totally clear what access restrictions will be given its currently uni holidays and signage hasn't been updated.

Screenshot_20220123-211939.png

Probably doesn't need its own thread, so figured here is a good place, but Western Sydney University (WSU) has in the last fortnight added four Tritium 50kW units spread throughout its campuses which add a useful spread to Sydney's DC chargers.

Includes
Richmond in the far NW - useful for Putty Rd trips
Kingsford in the W (near Evie Caddens Corner)
Campbeltown in the far SW (near the M1/Narellan Rd Interchange)
Parramatta/Rydalmere

Looks like these four sites now need Chargefox to activate - still free

An update on my engagement with the NSW Net-Zero team.

The requirements for fast charging operators has been released - website here and PDF of the application and funding guidelines here. The minimum performance standards required for an eligible application start on page 21 and the requirements include:
  • a minimum of 2 chargers to service a minimum of 4 bays concurrently (i.e. 4 charging plugs)
  • a minimum of 2 charging bays rated at a minimum of 175 kW per bay
  • a minimum of 2 charging bays rated at a minimum of 350 kW per bay
  • includes redundancy in the system (e.g. an additional 22 kW AC plug)
J1772 appears to be dead as far as this document is concerned. It’s Type 2 for AC charging, and CCS2 and CHAdeMO for DC charging.

This document also has lots of maps showing the “priority zones” for charging locations (pages 61-70). I’ve alerted them to what appears to be incorrect traffic data in the Master Plan interactive map and they will investigate it.

The FAQ also mentions “Successful applicants for co-funding will also provide technical support for EV owners and provide a number to call and report faults” but no support SLAs appear to have been defined.

I forwarded them the link to the Guardian article on the EV charging experience from a ‘non-expert’ point of view.

Some additional requests I have put to them gleaned from here and elsewhere:
  • Parking laws should be amended so that if an EV needs to park at a legacy installation contrary to a sign (e.g. front to kerb instead of rear to kerb, or contra to the traffic direction in parallel parking) in order to charge due to the location of their charge port or the length of the charge cable, that should not be an offence.
  • Consider funding to Local Councils for trials of pop/pull-up kerbside chargers or use of smart poles that suits that particular area.
  • Consider low cost loans or grant assistance to existing Owners Corporations to fund electricity backbone upgrades and/or installation of EV-ready systems to enable any unit owner to then add EV charging at their expense.
  • There needs to be more focus on dealing with EV charging issues at existing strata plans, and not just updating the building and development codes for new strata plans (including removing the power for an OC to block an individual unit owner installing EV charging in their allocated parking space at their own cost).
They said they will forward the comments about existing strata plans to the team responsible for making buildings EV ready - so that’s a hopeful sign.

The payment section strikes may as strange.
I'm not aware of any current EV charge in NSW that accepts EFTPOS or bank card, and certainly none that accept Opal.
And I doubt any EV drivers would have that as their reasonable expectation.

Personally I'd prefer a requirement to have Plug and Charge under the relevant ISO standard

I'm sure it would be possible for Tesla to add a card reader.. but it's another cost and probably another dedicated modem and extra software integration.

Same for the third party chargers. Tritium's brochures certainly suggest they can support, but to date not many site operators have chosen to do it.

Those sites that do have it also often get complaints as because they don't know what the charge will be so they put through a $30 pre-auth first

Western Sydney University (WSU) has in the last fortnight added four Tritium 50kW units

Some interesting edit wars going on with Plugshare over whether these are "Restricted" or not.

Latest edit has added "Western Sydney University Staffs" (sic) ", Students and Alumni only."
But there is no similar statement on Chargefox or the chargers themselves.

I've suggested to Plugshare admin that they contact whoever is making the edits and ask for proof.

Would be disappointing given the very useful positions on Sydney's outskirts.