Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog NTSB to Vote Next Month on Cause of Fatal Tesla Autopilot Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A meeting will be held next month by the National Transportation Safety Board to determine the probable cause of a fatal Tesla crash last year near Williston, Florida.

One person was killed when a 2015 Tesla Model S collided with a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia semitractor-trailer on US Highway 27A. The Tesla’s Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer lane-keeping assistance features were being used by the driver at the time of the crash. The Tesla was traveling at 74 mph just prior to impact.

According to a release from NTSB, a team of five investigators traveled to Williston to conduct the on-scene phase of the investigation, using three-dimensional laser scanning to document the crash location, the damaged trailer and the damaged car. As the investigation progressed, the team expanded to cover nine areas of inquiry.

The NTSB released a preliminary report on the crash in May. And, in June, said the driver kept his hands off the wheel for extended periods of time despite repeated automated warnings not to do so. Further, NTSB said the drivers hands were on the wheel for just 25 seconds during a 37-minute period that Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
NHTSA investigated this crash and reported its findings last May. I wonder why this is being done again, by another agency - seems redundant. But then, it is the government. (What happens if NTSB reaches a different conclusion than the NHSTA?) I suppose, since a truck was involved, we could also call for yet another investigation, as a tie-breaker, by the FMCSA. Oops, they already did an investigation. That's three.

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty
NHTSA investigated this crash and reported its findings last May. I wonder why this is being done again, by another agency - seems redundant. But then, it is the government. (What happens if NTSB reaches a different conclusion than the NHSTA?) I suppose, since a truck was involved, we could also call for yet another investigation, as a tie-breaker, by the FMCSA. Oops, they already did an investigation. That's three.

According to the Wired article: "NHTSA's goal wasn't to find the exact cause of the crash (that's up to the National Transportation Safety Board, which is running its own inquiry), but to root out any problems or defects with Tesla's Autopilot hardware and software."

Who knew.

Procedures, steps, fact finding are parts of NTSB more in concert with ships, trains, planes than cars and buses. Anyone paying attention when driving knows drivers take chances, more often than not subconsciously, as part of habit patterns. Many depend on the other driver to participate in the avoidance of a crash. To drive at 74 mph over 100 ft per second requires a long distance scan. With human reaction of 1/2 to 1 second before taking action stopping or slowing or avoidance requires 250 to 400 feet. Simply stated, the truck driver did not wait! Autopilot or not; driver paying attention or not; the crash was unavoidable due to the truck driver's actions. If the Tesla driver had been at or below the speed limit and IF he had anticipated the worse case scenario of the truck pulling out, perhaps the crash would have been less serious by slowing down! Other similar crashes happen in the US by the hour. Is the car made the causative factor? Of course not! Each time someone merges to an Interstate the Yield sign is ignored and the driver in the inside lane must: slow down, change lanes or whatever to avoid a crash. Merging traffic seldom use a turn signal and seem to have the right of way! This is no different. Clearly, driving "blind," speeding and with the expectation that other drivers will do the right thing, while common, is incorrect! From what I know, this was unavoidable when the truck driver made his choice.

The arguments seems right to me as I do experience similar behavior from drivers. Many drivers, in my opinion, either do not know the basic rules of defensive driving or taking it for granted the other driver would pay attention to and avoid accidents.