Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear Power Corruption - can't trust this industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone familiar with my posts on nuclear power would confuse me with a cheerleader of the industry.

That said I'm very confident in the safety of existing nuclear power plants. The industry in general does a good job of self-policing and the NRC is probably the most independent regulatory body. You generally don't get industry puppets working in the NRC like you do at EPA.

One important distinction with Jack Shannon is that he worked at the Kesselring site which is DOE and Naval Reactors. It's NOT under the regulatory oversight of the NRC. The NRC is not comparable to the DOE and NR, they have different missions and a different ethos. The NRC is significantly more risk adverse than the DOE is.

I don't think anyone familiar with my posts on nuclear power would confuse me with a cheerleader of the industry.

That said I'm very confident in the safety of existing nuclear power plants. The industry in general does a good job of self-policing and the NRC is probably the most independent regulatory body. You generally don't get industry puppets working in the NRC like you do at EPA.

One important distinction with Jack Shannon is that he worked at the Kesselring site which is DOE and Naval Reactors. It's NOT under the regulatory oversight of the NRC. The NRC is not comparable to the DOE and NR, they have different missions and a different ethos. The NRC is significantly more risk adverse than the DOE is.
Did you watch the first video? apparently not, you should. Arnie Gundersen and all his things about US reactor sights? Ever read Atomic Accidents? Can't really understand how or why you'd be so confident - some of the most corrupt people in government.

Is there a too long did not read (TLDR) version? Is there a web page with text, instead of a talking head?
The book is good, no doubt you could find used - would they dare leave that book at your local library? perhaps

Nuclear Energy, Reactor and Radiation Facts - Fairewinds
Demystifying Nuclear Power Through Education
Our mission is to educate the public about nuclear power and other energy issues.

I'd like to hear your opinion of the Jaczko book.

I've not read his book but his background is in physics and he seems to have developed a very strong bias against nuclear power. He voted against the Vogtle expansion due to the Fukishuma accident when Vogtle is specifically designed to prevent a Fukushima-style accident. The AP1000 is a fiscal nightmare but it's incorporating 60 years of lessons learned (which makes it a fiscal nightmare).

I'm no fan of nuclear but the winning argument is on economics. Every time a nuclear critic tries to play the safety card you feed the narrative that nuclear is only held back by public 'hysteria' and 'misinformation'. The last thing nuclear proponents want is a debate on cost. Focus on cost.

Reactions: DanCar
I've not read his book but his background is in physics and he seems to have developed a very strong bias against nuclear power. He voted against the Vogtle expansion due to the Fukishuma accident when Vogtle is specifically designed to prevent a Fukushima-style accident. The AP1000 is a fiscal nightmare but it's incorporating 60 years of lessons learned (which makes it a fiscal nightmare).

I'm no fan of nuclear but the winning argument is on economics. Every time a nuclear critic tries to play the safety card you feed the narrative that nuclear is only held back by public 'hysteria' and 'misinformation'. The last thing nuclear proponents want is a debate on cost. Focus on cost.
CORRUPTION is what makes these plants so dangerous.
But with some groups reversing their former opposition to nuclear energy, former Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko is going on the offensive to explain why nuclear energy is nowhere near a perfect solution to the climate crisis.

In a new book, Jaczko reiterates his longstanding criticism of the nuclear industry and his opposition to development of traditional nuclear power plants, which he says are unsafe despite technological improvements designed to make them safer.

Exhibit No. 1 in Jaczko’s argument is the Fukushima disaster. While Japan and other countries used nuclear power to limit their carbon emissions, he contends that the catastrophe at Fukushima wiped out environmental gains that Japan made by burning less fossil fuels.

“What happens after Fukushima is they shut down all of their nuclear plants over time,” Jaczko said during a phone interview with the Sun. “So then what did they do? They had to turn to polluting fossil fuels. So you wind up with this solution where it’s kind of boom or bust: You’ve got nuclear power, but once you turn it off then now what do we do? Well, we have to turn to dirty fossil fuels.”

Jaczko said the fundamental problems with development of nuclear energy included that the basic design of plants hadn’t changed and that the industry wouldn’t pay for technological improvements that would reduce the damage from accidents.

A case in point involves eliminating the kind of hydrogen gas blasts that many people likely remember seeing in footage from the Fukushima disaster.

The gas builds up when steam inside the reactor interacts with one of the metals used to contain nuclear fuel. Jaczko said new container materials have been developed that would limit the gas buildup, but the industry hasn’t adopted them because they’re prohibitively expensive.

Meanwhile, he says, the cost of generating electricity through natural gas and renewables is lower in most parts of the country than nuclear generation. Although nuclear proponents point out that renewables can’t provide continual power — turbines don’t generate when the wind doesn’t blow and solar panels don’t generate when the sun isn’t shining — Jaczko calls that argument a red herring. He points to innovations that are making power storage more affordable — not just advancements in battery design but such methods as pumped-storage hydroelectricity, in which water is pumped to a higher elevation during overnight hours when electricity demand is low and then is released to operate turbines during peak hours.

“So to me, the idea that somehow we’re going to preserve these reactors and that’s a climate solution is just wrong,” he said.

Then, of course, there’s the issue with nuclear waste — a hazard we’re familiar with in Southern Nevada. Jaczko, whose concerns about the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository were a leading reason he was hand-picked for the commission by former Sen. Harry Reid, hasn’t grown any fonder of the waste facility since he left the commission. He continues to be alarmed about the long-term safety of the site and the prospect of transporting high-level waste from across the country to Nevada.

Jaczko’s bottom-line assessment is that despite decades of development, nuclear energy remains too hazardous and costly to be a viable source of power.
“There’s going to be an accident,” he said. “The only question is when and where.”

===

CORRUPTION is what makes these plants so dangerous.

.... there's little/no corruption. Not at the level of the NRC. This isn't like the MMS where they play nice so they can get a well healed job later. NRC employees are career regulators.

Indeed. Part of his argument is that the NRC is compromised. As a past chairman of the NRC he has quite the vantage point.

A biased vantage point. He started at the top. It's hard/impossible to get a feel for the organizational culture when you're a commissioner.

This is exactly the kind of debate the nuclear industry LOVES to see. Any debate not about economics works in their favor.....

Last edited:
I recommend you read the book before you draw conclusions. If you like, PM me your address and I'll mail you my copy when I'm finished

I'm not exactly drawing a baseless conclusion. I was in the Nuclear Navy for ~8 years (which is regulated by NR) then I spent ~8 years in the commercial world (which is regulated by the NRC). I've witnessed first hand how incredibly conservative the industry is. I think it's telling that one of the most prominent 'whistle blowers' is from before the NRC was formed.

The culture of the industry is really the most important safety mechanism and the nuclear industry probably has the most embedded safety culture of any industry, even beyond aviation. That's not something a NRC commissioner is going to be able to easily assess. Transitioning from the USN to the commercial world really exposes the enhanced level of safety commercial nuclear has compared to the Navy... and the Navy has a near perfect track record operating dozens of reactors. Procedural adherence is one key difference. In the Navy we follow procedures like you would follow a recipe. In the commercial world we follow procedures like you're signing a mortgage contract. Every. Single. Step is performed and signed as being completed in the proper order... then that procedure is kept for the life of the plant for accountability. It's crazy.

Add to that the fact that one near miss at one plant is shared across the industry as a lesson learned. Not just an accident... but an almost accident. So the experience at one plant becomes the experience at ALL plants. So yeah... I'm very confident in the safety of our nuclear fleet. That's not to say that accidents can't happen. I'm just saying the probability of an accident has been reduce beyond any reasonable level. The problem with nuclear isn't safety. It's cost. Cost, cost and cost. Jazckos book just furthers the narrative the nuclear could thrive if there wasn't so much 'misinformation'. True or not it furthers that narrative. The problem with nuclear is cost.

Last edited:
Fewer Inspections for Aging Nuclear Plants, Regulators Propose Fewer Inspections for Aging Nuclear Plants, Regulators Propose

WASHINGTON — A new report by staff members of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which oversees the safety of the nation’s 59 aging nuclear power plants, recommends that the commissioners significantly weaken or reduce safety inspections of the plants.

The proposal comes as most of the nation’s nuclear power plants, which were designed and built in the 1960s or 1970s, are reaching the end of their original 40- to 50-year operating licenses. Many plant operators have sought licenses to extend the operating life of their plants past the original deadlines, even as experts have warned that aging plants come with heightened concerns about safety.

Nuclear Energy, Reactor and Radiation Facts - Fairewinds
Arnie and his wife, both former employees of Nuclear Power Industry, have talked about corruption for almost 2 decades. Arnie lost his job trying get problems fixed. (AP1000 ??

It will take about an hour to quickly scan their site and decide what you might want to read about.
Plenty of problems and IF we don't get another melt down, I'll be impressed and thankful.

another great source to read: you can get used ones cheap (Audio Free ??)
https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Accid...ocphy=9033314&hvtargid=pla-496756705572&psc=1

‘A combination of failures:’ why 3.6m pounds of nuclear waste is buried under a popular California beach

Federal regulators had already cited SCE for several safety issues, including leaking radioactive waste and falsified firewatch records. But when a new steam generator began leaking a small amount of radioactivity in January 2012, just one year after it was replaced, it was SCE’s most serious problem yet. A subsequent report from the NRC’s inspector general found federal inspectors had overlooked red flags in 2009, and that SCE had replaced its own steam generators without proper approval. SCE tried to fix the problem but decided in 2013 to shut the plant down for good. Activists thought they had scored a victory when the reactor shut down – until they learned that the nuclear waste they had produced would remain on-site.

The waste is buried about 100ft from the shoreline, along the I-5 highway, one of the nation’s busiest thoroughfares, and not far from a pair of faults that experts say could generate a 7.4 magnitude earthquake. Another potential problem is corrosion. In its 2015 approval, the Coastal Commission noted the site could have a serious impact on the environment down the line, including on coastal access and marine life. “The [installation] would eventually be exposed to coastal flooding and erosion hazards beyond its design capacity, or else would require protection by replacing or expanding the existing Songs shoreline armoring,” the document say.

San Onofre is not the only place where waste is left stranded. As more nuclear sites shut down, communities across the country are stuck with the waste left behind. Spent fuel is stored at 76 reactor sites in 34 states, according to the Department of Energy. Handling those stockpiles has been an afterthought to the NRC, the federal enforcer, said Allison Macfarlane, another former commission chair. “It was not a big topic at the NRC, unfortunately,” Macfarlane said. “In the nuclear industry in general the backend of the nuclear cycle gets very little attention. So it just never rises to ‘oh this is a very important issue, we should be doing something.’”