TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Number of required Powerwalls based on my hydro bill

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by psykobunny83, Jul 20, 2018.

1. psykobunny83

psykobunny83 Member

Hi everyone. I was looking at the Powerwall configuration page and put my house at 2100 square feet, and selected AC operational during an outage, and put EV not operational during an outage, and it said 3 Powerwalls based on estimated 57 kWh/daily. If I remove the EV all together it says based on 47 kWh/daily.

When I'm looking at my Toronto Hydro bill for last month for example, it shows:
    115.750 kWh On-peak (Highest Price) @ $0.132 / kWh $15.28
    104.670 kWh Mid-peak (Mid Price) @ $0.094 / kWh $9.84
    515.580 kWh Off-peak (Lowest Price) @ $0.065 / kWh $33.51
    kWh Used based on meter reading 32 days: 763.672

So that sounds like I used 763.672 in 32 days, or 23.87kWh a day, but that seems low. I don't have my Model 3 yet so no car charging in those rates above. Am I understanding it wrong?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Do you have solar or are you just interested in adding Powerwalls? If you have one Powerwall, you could have a partial home backup and power essentials less than 30 amps. If you have two Powerwalls you would be able to back up higher load appliances such as an electric range and probably your entire house for half a day to a day (without solar). Three Powerwalls would help you remain powered a lot longer. We recently got 3 Powerwalls installed and combined with our solar, we should be able to go "indefinitely" without power from the grid since we typically have sun more than 4 out of 5 days.

Our Tesla Wall Connectors are backed up by the Powerwalls as well. IF we do have an extended outage, we'll have to be sure not to charge the cars but at least we'll have the option of charging them. It would be nice if the Teslas could communicate with the Powerwalls in the future and cut back on how long they are charged if the grid power is down.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Speaking of which, seen the recent update to the app that tells the PWs to charge when there's a storm nearby? This may need a new thread, but wonder how meaningful/accurate/needed this will be.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

I saw that on the Tesla app yesterday. Still waiting for official PTO. Our Powerwalls are still on an older firmware (1.17.2) so it will probably be a while before we can test that feature. I have previously posted about requesting such a feature! I hope it is enabled in the US and not just in other countries.

It probably does deserve a new thread!

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Forgot you all weren't 'live' yet. :D Looking forward to all the content then!

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Check your winter use. If you heat electric, it'll be much higher.

7. psykobunny83

psykobunny83 Member

Heat is gas, but we're good now as we decided to just sell and buy a much larger house to invest in all these toys lol.

8. Shygar

Shygar Member

• Like x 1