Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number of required Powerwalls based on my hydro bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I was looking at the Powerwall configuration page and put my house at 2100 square feet, and selected AC operational during an outage, and put EV not operational during an outage, and it said 3 Powerwalls based on estimated 57 kWh/daily. If I remove the EV all together it says based on 47 kWh/daily.

When I'm looking at my Toronto Hydro bill for last month for example, it shows:
115.750 kWh On-peak (Highest Price) @ $0.132 / kWh $15.28
104.670 kWh Mid-peak (Mid Price) @ $0.094 / kWh $9.84
515.580 kWh Off-peak (Lowest Price) @ $0.065 / kWh $33.51
kWh Used based on meter reading 32 days: 763.672

So that sounds like I used 763.672 in 32 days, or 23.87kWh a day, but that seems low. I don't have my Model 3 yet so no car charging in those rates above. Am I understanding it wrong?

Do you have solar or are you just interested in adding Powerwalls? If you have one Powerwall, you could have a partial home backup and power essentials less than 30 amps. If you have two Powerwalls you would be able to back up higher load appliances such as an electric range and probably your entire house for half a day to a day (without solar). Three Powerwalls would help you remain powered a lot longer. We recently got 3 Powerwalls installed and combined with our solar, we should be able to go "indefinitely" without power from the grid since we typically have sun more than 4 out of 5 days.

Our Tesla Wall Connectors are backed up by the Powerwalls as well. IF we do have an extended outage, we'll have to be sure not to charge the cars but at least we'll have the option of charging them. It would be nice if the Teslas could communicate with the Powerwalls in the future and cut back on how long they are charged if the grid power is down.

Speaking of which, seen the recent update to the app that tells the PWs to charge when there's a storm nearby? This may need a new thread, but wonder how meaningful/accurate/needed this will be.
I saw that on the Tesla app yesterday. Still waiting for official PTO. Our Powerwalls are still on an older firmware (1.17.2) so it will probably be a while before we can test that feature. I have previously posted about requesting such a feature! I hope it is enabled in the US and not just in other countries.

It probably does deserve a new thread!

I saw that on the Tesla app yesterday. Still waiting for official PTO. Our Powerwalls are still on an older firmware (1.17.2) so it will probably be a while before we can test that feature. I have previously posted about requesting such a feature! I hope it is enabled in the US and not just in other countries.

It probably does deserve a new thread!
Forgot you all weren't 'live' yet. :D Looking forward to all the content then!

Hi everyone. I was looking at the Powerwall configuration page and put my house at 2100 square feet, and selected AC operational during an outage, and put EV not operational during an outage, and it said 3 Powerwalls based on estimated 57 kWh/daily. If I remove the EV all together it says based on 47 kWh/daily.

When I'm looking at my Toronto Hydro bill for last month for example, it shows:
115.750 kWh On-peak (Highest Price) @ $0.132 / kWh $15.28
104.670 kWh Mid-peak (Mid Price) @ $0.094 / kWh $9.84
515.580 kWh Off-peak (Lowest Price) @ $0.065 / kWh $33.51
kWh Used based on meter reading 32 days: 763.672

So that sounds like I used 763.672 in 32 days, or 23.87kWh a day, but that seems low. I don't have my Model 3 yet so no car charging in those rates above. Am I understanding it wrong?

Check your winter use. If you heat electric, it'll be much higher.