Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number plate with rear bike carrier, ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I've got the Thule RaceWay 2 boot mount bike rack for my Model 3, I've protected the contact points with helicopter tape and the thing seems to work acceptably. I've done a short journey with a couple of bikes on there.

Only problem I have is that it obscures the rear number plate and lights (Although mostly the number plate).

Does anyone have any smart ideas for resolving this? I have a spare plate that I can try and fashion some kind of hanger for, but that doesn't solve the lights issue, which I'm guessing I'm out of luck on if I don't have a tow bar because there's no electrical hookup... If I did have a tow bar I wouldn't be using a boot mount carrier anyway!

Planning a long trip with the bikes next month, so I'm at least going to need to hang a number plate back there, but wondered if anyone has done anything in particular?

Cheers

I used a trailer light board strapped to the rear-most bike with our rear mounted carrier in the past (not on the M3 though). I guess it’s more difficult without the hitch as the various feeds for the lights & indicators will need splicing in somehow. It might be possible to adapt a third party tow electrics relay block and splice that into the rear lighting loom, but the car might throw a wobbler with the additional circuit load.

Reactions: TestPilot
I’ve done a fair drive today with just a number plate hanging back there. Seems like a reasonable effort.

In other news, I expected efficiency to take a bit of a hit but holy cow, it’s like driving with a parachute back there!!!