Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nurburgring and Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you’re right that brake upgrades aren’t a big deal in general but Tesla’s aren’t just any car. A race enthusiast shop could do it, but the average Plaid customer may have to think about the way FSD and other systems are calibrated to work with the braking system. Also considering how much of a struggle Tesla has with their ability to service their cars, I would hesitate to modify something as important as brakes with anything that isn’t a Tesla factory option. How many of us would ever take these cars close enough to their limit to make this worth the potential trouble?

Has anyone here ever upgraded their Model S braking system?

I disagree. You probably only need some brake pads and brake ducting to improve braking performance a good amount. Elon even twitted that modifications can be done by a third party. I assume Tesla will offer a track package in the near term. The stock brakes are adequate for DD but not for track days it seems just like most stock cars.

I disagree. You probably only need some brake pads and brake ducting to improve braking performance a good amount. Elon even twitted that modifications can be done by a third party. I assume Tesla will offer a track package in the near term. The stock brakes are adequate for DD but not for track days it seems just like most stock cars.

No, the standard Brembo rotors as fitted to all production Teslas are just not big and efficient enough at dissipaiting heat. Ducting alone isn't enough to prevent the rotor temperatures getting too hot even for dedicated track pads.
We've already been here with the existing MS and M3 and we know what needs to be done to make these cars work properly on track. The test mules at the 'Ring have been running around there with much bigger brakes fitted, so Tesla knows too.
Musk has already said Tesla won't offer a track pack for the Plaid and there's really no need as there are plenty of third parties offering brake upgrade kits etc. already.

Reactions: Darthamerica
No, the standard Brembo rotors as fitted to all production Teslas are just not big and efficient enough at dissipaiting heat. Ducting alone isn't enough to prevent the rotor temperatures getting too hot even for dedicated track pads.
We've already been here with the existing MS and M3 and we know what needs to be done to make these cars work properly on track. The test mules at the 'Ring have been running around there with much bigger brakes fitted, so Tesla knows too.
Musk has already said Tesla won't offer a track pack for the Plaid and there's really no need as there are plenty of third parties offering brake upgrade kits etc. already.

Aren't the Plaid rotors and caliper larger than previous Model S while the Plaid is lighter than the previous car by 150-100lbs? 380x32mm front vs 355x32mm.

Aren't the Plaid rotors and caliper larger than previous Model S while the Plaid is lighter than the previous car by 150-100lbs? 380x32mm front vs 355x32mm.
150lbs less weight is going to make no difference if you're travelling much faster before braking and once they put the proper tyres on it (Cup 2 or Cup 2R) that's going to put the brakes under even more strain.
Comparing the Plaid brakes to the previous S is the same as comparing the Model 3 P brakes with M3LR brakes. Yes, they are better, but not good enough for prolonged track driving.

150lbs less weight is going to make no difference if you're travelling much faster before braking and once they put the proper tyres on it (Cup 2 or Cup 2R) that's going to put the brakes under even more strain.
Comparing the Plaid brakes to the previous S is the same as comparing the Model 3 P brakes with M3LR brakes. Yes, they are better, but not good enough for prolonged track driving.

Have you done a thermal mass calculation to know what is need it?

Have you done a thermal mass calculation to know what is need it?
No, because it's more complex than that. The design of the vanes in the rotors plays a big part in getting the heat out of them.
You could spend a lot of time on a computer doing calculations or just fit a nice set of AP rotors, calipers and some decent pads and be done with it.
Tesla seems to be sticking with Brembo for it's brake upgrades and there's plenty of choice there with their GT calipers/discs.

I think some here are wildly optimistic about the complexity of the braking system. If someone here has done it and actually races their car I’d be interested in hearing from you. I’ve done this to my racing bikes back in the day and it isn’t trivial to have it done right.

None the less Plaid is amazing and I’m glad Tesla pulled this off. Now I want to see Taycan take an official run on a factory built car for comparison.

I think some here are wildly optimistic about the complexity of the braking system. If someone here has done it and actually races their car I’d be interested in hearing from you. I’ve done this to my racing bikes back in the day and it isn’t trivial to have it done right.

None the less Plaid is amazing and I’m glad Tesla pulled this off. Now I want to see Taycan take an official run on a factory built car for comparison.
The braking system on any Tesla is nothing special. It's just like any other car apart from the booster and parking brake being electrically operated.
As long as the piston sizes in the replacement calipers are matched to the master cylinder, the driver won't detect much difference other than better feel and no overheating issues. There's nothing being done which could upset the car's calibration or autopilot etc. It's much simpler to sort than some are making out.

Last edited:
Yup. Upgraded brakes are ~mandatory on anything you put on a track.

People have been racing their M3's on Nurburgring and other tracks for years. See UPP's Pike's Peak Hill Climb with Plaid and M3 before that.

The braking system on any Tesla is nothing special. It's just like any other car apart from the booster and parking brake being electrically operated.
As long as the piston sizes in the replacement calipers are matched to the master cylinder, the driver won't detect much difference other than better feel and no overheating issues. There's nothing being done which could upset the car's calibration or autopilot etc. It's much simpler to sort than some are making out.

Reactions: chronoreverse
Guys, we need to put this into perspective. The Model S is my beloved daily driver and family hauler. The acceleration is cool, but that does not make it a track car. Yes, there're the brakes, but then you also need more aero for grip to keep 4500 lbs on the track at those speeds (unlike on a skidpad)

Meanwhile, I have 2 other cars that can do the N-ring is in about 7 mins flat - miles ahead (actual about 1/2 mile ahead) of the Plaid or the Taycan. At 1320 lbs and 3100 lbs respectively, they stick like glue with their areo. But neither of them haul the family effortlessly like my MS does - and neither does the Taycan.

Last edited:
Guys, we need to put this into perspective. The Model S is my beloved daily driver and family hauler. The acceleration is cool, but that does not make it a track car. Yes, there're the brakes, but then you also need more aero for grip to keep 4500 lbs on the track at those speeds (unlike on a skidpad)

Meanwhile, I have 2 other cars that can do the N-ring is in about 7 mins flat - miles ahead (actual about 1/2 mile ahead) of the Plaid or the Taycan. At 1320 lbs and 3100 lbs respectively, they stick like glue with their areo. But neither of them haul the family effortlessly like my MS does - and neither does the Taycan.
Interesting you say that while the Taycan weighs quite a bit more than the Model S and is about ~300hp down on power, 1 less motor and is on a generally older platform than the Model S. It still beat the Plaids time, so putting it really into perspective I would say it’s quite the feat.

Reactions: daktari
Interesting you say that while the Taycan weighs quite a bit more than the Model S and is about ~300hp down on power, 1 less motor and is on a generally older platform than the Model S. It still beat the Plaids time, so putting it really into perspective I would say it’s quite the feat.
I'm sure thenew PZero Corsas (using track-specific compound) and Nring-specific chassis control helped, as dis (I assume the car had it) RWS. And maybe a better driver ;) But still well off a true performance benchmark.

Reactions: pabla