Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nvidia and Audi are going to built self driving 2010 with Xavier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bring to market by 2020 i.e. maybe in 2021, because delays happen.
Audi will be good if it will even still exist in 2021. Yes, it is hard to swallow such ideas but math doesn't lie.

I don't think that all the other car makers will vanish. Apple was very disruptive and it killed Nokia's cell phones, but there still are dozens of cell phone makers and will be. Tesla will by 2020 at best case scenario make 1% of world's cars. 99% will be made by others.

Reactions: Ormond
The one installed in current Model S/X is 12 TOPS and is the cut down version of PX2. Will this be enough power for FSD? or is it only for EAP and shadow mode for fleet learning. I wonder what GPU they will use in the Model 3's. Xavier which is the 3rd gen of the PX2 is going to be released Q4 2017. Thoughts?

Elon said it was 12 TOPS on the October conference call, its the smaller version of the PX2 I might be mistaken here.
You are mistaken... First the small version doesn't have room for eight camera inputs. Second he was referring to the Titan X at the time which is 11 TFLOPS single precision with 12GB of memory which is probably what they were using for development. It was a slip of the tongue, Elon is still human (or at least a third human, a third alien, and a third cyborg)

Reactions: djdimsum
Did Tesla say they are exited about upcoming Xavier platform? Even when announcing AP2 they sounded lukewarm about nvidia.

Xavier is not even out and won't be before Model 3. They made it quite clear they have a partnership around the Nvidia Drive PX2.

As a matter of fact when announcing AP2 they specifically called out Nvidia as their chosen partner after having benchmarked the competition.

Here're the transcripts:
Transcript: Elon Musk's Autopilot 2.0 Conference Call

Xavier is not even out and won't be before Model 3. They made it quite clear they have a partnership around the Nvidia Drive PX2.

As a matter of fact when announcing AP2 they specifically called out Nvidia as their chosen partner after having benchmarked the competition.

Here're the transcripts:
Transcript: Elon Musk's Autopilot 2.0 Conference Call

EM basically says that AMD is as good but it was quicker to get it up and running with nvidia.

EM basically says that AMD is as good but it was quicker to get it up and running with nvidia.
He literally said Nvidia has better hardware...

it was a pretty tight call between AMD & Nvidia but ultimately put Nvidia had the better hardware.

It wasn't about speed to implementation as much as performance and capabilities. Unfortunately AMD has been behind for a few years in the GPU computing space. They are focused more on gaming.

So when do you think Xavier will trickle down to Model S,X,3? You wouldnt want to buy a Tesla with old GPU when you know its right around the corner.
I'm drooling for this to make the M3 or MY in a couple of years.
nvidia-soc-xavier-tegra-03-04a638e284d38baed957d90239b15df94.jpg

1. NVIDIA sort of swept Tesla under the bus: "Audi didn't have Internet connected, graphics, or mapping". It's kind of like saying "Tesla, you had a chance, but you didn't follow through". To me, this means that although NVIDIA is working with Tesla, that they don't see eye to eye, and have had a pretty severe lack of faith in each other.
  2. NVIDIA said they've been working with Audi for "ten years".

So when do you think Xavier will trickle down to Model S,X,3? You wouldnt want to buy a Tesla with old GPU when you know its right around the corner.
A later graphic showed specs for the XAVIER board at 30 TOPS DL and 30W.

Well if VAG/Audi are not working with Mobileye, that's one major auto manufacturer that Intel's $15Bn investment won't be getting any returns from.

And you can understand NVidia talking about VAG/Audi given they are 100x? the size of Tesl.

Extrapolating that to "although NVIDIA is working with Tesla, that they don't see eye to eye, and have had a pretty severe lack of faith in each other." is way too much of an assumption for me.

The Nvidia CEO is a fan of Tesla, so if Xavier is done early then it might find it's way into Model 3 but more realistic timeline might put it in spring 2018 at the earliest, but who knows. Consider that the Drive PX2 was announced in January of 2016 and will made it in cars fall of 2016.

The Nvidia CEO is a fan of Tesla, so if Xavier is done early then it might find it's way into Model 3 but more realistic timeline might put it in spring 2018 at the earliest, but who knows. Consider that the Drive PX2 was announced in January of 2016 and will made it in cars fall of 2016.

What does being a fan have anything to do with a business decision?

you people are too much.

What does being a fan have anything to do with a business decision?

you people are too much.
It means he's going to do everything he can to get the Xavier model out the door just as Nvidia moved up the timeline for Drive PX2. Going all in on AI is something Nvidia is proud of. The quickest way to demo the technology is to get it in the hands of manufacturers as soon as possible.