Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Boost Subwoofer upgrade - installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a link to a solid cap?
I was literally about to ask the same… I’ve got everything wired and installed just waiting on my last connection to the penthouse. I decided last minute to use 2awg just in case but thinking more about the resistor and relay setup he’s talking about.

Attachments

• 9678BF4E-AF9B-4AF3-913C-DA73A2645E0A.jpeg
    9678BF4E-AF9B-4AF3-913C-DA73A2645E0A.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 467
Reactions: C-Bus Y
I’m using the audio control LC2I. I’ve had great success with them and it does the same. My only hang up with using one this size is the codes it may pull. Next is finding a box builder but that’s another problem. Also if that doesn’t work I have a JL 500/1 that is my backup amp.
Like to see someone try their 500/1 amp. As I remember they are not the most efficient which worries me. I also have a 1200/1 too, but figured I would be pushing it as far as throwing codes, so I am just sticking with the NVX kit amp. It’s too damn cold here in the NE to get stranded for my music!

I’m running dual subs at 1ohm off the 500W NVX amp. 4 gauge power wire with a reducer to fit the 8 gauge input. No issues at all.

Means to me there is room for something stronger, have to find the point just before issues occur haha.

Reactions: Kwame and Mixman
Like to see someone try their 500/1 amp. As I remember they are not the most efficient which worries me. I also have a 1200/1 too, but figured I would be pushing it as far as throwing codes, so I am just sticking with the NVX kit amp. It’s too damn cold here in the NE to get stranded for my music!
We’re in the same boat I’ve got a skar 2000RP, and old school kicker zx1500.1 and a Brutus 3400 all sitting in my garage but they draw too much current so I stuck with the NVX series. So far my amp install is done and my box will be ready Friday. Hopefully I’ll know if I start getting codes soon… if I do I’ll be using the nvx 500 as well.

I’m running dual subs at 1ohm off the 500W NVX amp. 4 gauge power wire with a reducer to fit the 8 gauge input. No issues at all.

Means to me there is room for something stronger, have to find the point just before issues occur haha.

I am running the same setup as you. It could use a little more juice, and swapping the subs out helped, but I am sure more could be done.

I fully back your exploring the limits of the Y’s electrical system. LOL! I do understand if you do want to push the limits with a powerful amp you can if you add a relay. I have read though that if not done right, relays can possibly cause a fire, so I don’t want to go down that road.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
so weird. It is working fine now. I had a software update the other day (first time Ive driven since the update this morning) and noticed on the eq sub and bass go up to 6, for a while they had "booming" or weird funny names like that, maybe it was a software snafu (eq set at a higher range than current software allowed)? But sounds fine now... so strange.

What are your settings on the amp? I have the vadm1 that came in the package and not sure where to start on LPF, subsonic, boost, sensitivity or etc... Do I just turn them all down, play something, start with one until clipping, then turn back and then do the same on the next ones?

Don’t use boost on the amp, resist all urge!!

I have Xover around 80 hz, subsonic around 20hz. Sensitivity is maybe 25% from min setting. Use the LOC to dial in the rest. I do use some of xtra bass from the LOC to offset putting EQ flat. That is personal preference and LOC does a decent job.

Reactions: Kwame