Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY Eve Delivery Event photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fyi, for those that missed the fun.
This is what I observed, although I got pulled out at Step 3:

01: check in tents
01 check-in.jpg

02: walking past the showroom to the line
02 showroom.jpg

03: got in line, heard about a 90 min wait from here
03 line start.jpg

04: a view of the line from the side at one point
04 line side.jpg

05: closer view of the line from the side
05 line side2.jpg

06: getting close to the garage door opening into the Learning Center
06 line end.jpg

07: inside the learning center, check-in at a table, and then get sent thru the double doors in the background
07 learning center.jpg

08: out to the showroom, to sit and wait to get called back into the LC
08 showroom wait.jpg

09: back in the LC, signing docs with a Sales Rep, who takes them over to that Right-side counter for processing
09 learning center paperwork.jpg

10: Sales Rep takes you out to find your car

amazing, so many people there, so late, on new years eve of all nites!

good that tesla 'tried'. most companies wouldn't even think to do that. I give them credit for the idea and trying.

they just did not predict for this demand. I can't blame them for that, either.

it sucks that people didn't get cars before the 'deadline' but keeping a business like a CAR COMPANY alive, when you are a newcomer, and predicting how much of product to make - that's got to be a really hard problem. they don't have the years and assembly lines like the old school car makers. its kind of amazing they can do this much in so little time (relatively).

demand outstrips supply. well, its not a bad problem to have, for one of the sides.

and kudos to all the Sales Rep who came in from all over the bay area to help out.
They were out of their element and things were chaotic.
But they were trying really hard, and many of them put in a very long day.

We won't know until the Q4 results are posted - whenever that may be --- but it is possible that Tesla sent so many cars overseas that less were kept in the US (and California!). That makes supply low in the US, which can appear as higher than normal demand.

Personally I don't know how people really measure demand of any one product. The demand has a lot to do with the cost and (more often) the availability of an item. Apple used to release a limited number of iPhones and it looked like demand was higher than it was. To this day, it is unclear as to what that demand really was.

I will admit, that it is easier to sell EVs overseas (especially in Europe) these days. They are struggling for them and their gas prices are very high. I have read that even Ford will send the lions share of it's first production Mach-E cars to Europe first. That will inflate perceived demand in the US. It also shows that Ford thinks that it is easier and faster to sell EVs in Europe. I've also read that a lot of the Tesla "competition" plans to sell in Europe first.

Reactions: byeLT4