TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NYS Inspections

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Taurus, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Taurus

Taurus Member

Hi all, I live in Rockland County, NY. Any recommendations on where to go for the annual NY State Inspection ? I know I can take it to any local repair shop that does inspections, but I don't want to take it to a place that has never seen a Tesla before. I'm thinking of taking it to the Mercedes dealer (I also have a GLK) since they should be more careful with the car.

2. SureValla

SureValla Member

mt kisco service center?

3. st50maint

st50maint Member

My understanding is that the service centers do not do NYS inspections.
    The Syosset service center recommended the Shell station on Jericho Turnpike about a mile away.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

If NY is like VA, then any shop which offers state inspections must inspect any car which is brought to them, regardless of what kind it is. While that's fine for a typical car dealer, Tesla service centers don't want to be rooting around in people's engine bays, so they just don't do state inspections at all.

I've taken mine to a local mechanic. The first time was a lot of fun, they were really curious about the car and had fun poking around at it, and let me watch and help out the whole time. The second time I had to fight with them a bit, because the mechanic on duty said they weren't capable of inspecting my car. I finally convinced him that it was just like a normal car except there's nothing to look at engine-wise, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Next year I'm thinking I'll try a Nissan dealer, since they should at least be used to inspecting LEAFs.

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

#5 SureValla, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    I'm 90% certain I saw a NYS inspection plaque on the mt kisco service center when I was there to place my M3 deposit

update: It's not listed on the nys dmv as an inspection station
    update 2: Upon looking at google street view the plaques i saw was for repair shop and retail dealer. Not inspection.

6. st50maint

st50maint Member

The plaque you saw may have been a “Registered State of New York Motor Vehicle Repair Shop” plaque.

7. mmccord

mmccord Member

They do not do state inspections at mt kisco. Staff there told me if they want certification to do inspections they have to support all brands, not just Teslas. Obviously it would be ridiculous to get all the emissions testing equipment in there.

• Informative x 1
  8. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

What you need is called a "safety inspection". I believe it is $10-$15 and it is the same inspection they perform on all new cars that are less than 2 years old. After that point ICE cars go up to $35 when they add the emission tests, while the Tesla inspection should always be the lower, safety only inspection.

9. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

If you are willing to cross the Tappan Zee there is a place in White Plains that performs inspections on Tesla vehicles. I have taken my MS 60 there every year for inspection. The place is Hillside Auto Service. Located at 18 Belway Pl, White Plains. This used to be the Tesla service location two years ago.

10. SureValla

SureValla Member

westchester and NYC charge more than the rest of NYS but maybe that's just for the emissions portion.

11. gutowskia

gutowskia Member

I had my Tesla inspected at Mavis (used to be STP) on Rt 303 near Rt 59 overpass. The mechanic lifted the car and took the front wheel off to inspect the brakes. I asked him to be super careful with positioning the lift directly on the pads and away from the battery. I also showed him how to set the air suspension in 'Jack' mode. Got my sticker 15 minutes later and I was on my way home. Once home I Made sure lugs were torqued to 129 lb/ft (175Nm)

If other shops don't require lifting your car or taking wheels off, please let me know.

12. Taurus

Taurus Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I got my Tesla inspected yesterday at Mercedes of Nanuet since I normally get my GLK 350 serviced there. It has an area with a large window where you can see all cars being serviced. The people driving the car all had looks of amazement. It was fun to watch ! I gave them a sheet of paper with the torque setting and a reminder to use lift blocks (pads) instead of the battery to lift the car. Got the sticker shortly thereafter.