Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYS Inspections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I live in Rockland County, NY. Any recommendations on where to go for the annual NY State Inspection ? I know I can take it to any local repair shop that does inspections, but I don't want to take it to a place that has never seen a Tesla before. I'm thinking of taking it to the Mercedes dealer (I also have a GLK) since they should be more careful with the car.

If NY is like VA, then any shop which offers state inspections must inspect any car which is brought to them, regardless of what kind it is. While that's fine for a typical car dealer, Tesla service centers don't want to be rooting around in people's engine bays, so they just don't do state inspections at all.

I've taken mine to a local mechanic. The first time was a lot of fun, they were really curious about the car and had fun poking around at it, and let me watch and help out the whole time. The second time I had to fight with them a bit, because the mechanic on duty said they weren't capable of inspecting my car. I finally convinced him that it was just like a normal car except there's nothing to look at engine-wise, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Next year I'm thinking I'll try a Nissan dealer, since they should at least be used to inspecting LEAFs.

I'm 90% certain I saw a NYS inspection plaque on the mt kisco service center when I was there to place my M3 deposit

update: It's not listed on the nys dmv as an inspection station
update 2: Upon looking at google street view the plaques i saw was for repair shop and retail dealer. Not inspection.

Last edited:
What you need is called a "safety inspection". I believe it is $10-$15 and it is the same inspection they perform on all new cars that are less than 2 years old. After that point ICE cars go up to $35 when they add the emission tests, while the Tesla inspection should always be the lower, safety only inspection.

If you are willing to cross the Tappan Zee there is a place in White Plains that performs inspections on Tesla vehicles. I have taken my MS 60 there every year for inspection. The place is Hillside Auto Service. Located at 18 Belway Pl, White Plains. This used to be the Tesla service location two years ago.

What you need is called a "safety inspection". I believe it is $10-$15 and it is the same inspection they perform on all new cars that are less than 2 years old. After that point ICE cars go up to $35 when they add the emission tests, while the Tesla inspection should always be the lower, safety only inspection.

westchester and NYC charge more than the rest of NYS but maybe that's just for the emissions portion.

Hi all, I live in Rockland County, NY. Any recommendations on where to go for the annual NY State Inspection ? I know I can take it to any local repair shop that does inspections, but I don't want to take it to a place that has never seen a Tesla before. I'm thinking of taking it to the Mercedes dealer (I also have a GLK) since they should be more careful with the car.

I had my Tesla inspected at Mavis (used to be STP) on Rt 303 near Rt 59 overpass. The mechanic lifted the car and took the front wheel off to inspect the brakes. I asked him to be super careful with positioning the lift directly on the pads and away from the battery. I also showed him how to set the air suspension in 'Jack' mode. Got my sticker 15 minutes later and I was on my way home. Once home I Made sure lugs were torqued to 129 lb/ft (175Nm)

If other shops don't require lifting your car or taking wheels off, please let me know.

Thanks to all for the replies. I got my Tesla inspected yesterday at Mercedes of Nanuet since I normally get my GLK 350 serviced there. It has an area with a large window where you can see all cars being serviced. The people driving the car all had looks of amazement. It was fun to watch ! I gave them a sheet of paper with the torque setting and a reminder to use lift blocks (pads) instead of the battery to lift the car. Got the sticker shortly thereafter.

I just went to Jiffy Lube based on a Tesla owner's referral, and they did it. They DO NOT have car lifts. Paperwork says they removed LF wheel, but I don't think they did (I never saw the car move and no sign of scratches under car, or hand prints on Aero cover). Either way it would be with a jack, not lifts. I had to show them where the odometer was. $10 since it's just a safety check.

Where are all you Long Islanders (especially Suffolk County) getting your Teslas inspected? Yeah I can legally bring it anywhere that performs car inspections, but as with everyone else - I don't want to deal with a shop that's going to jack my battery, claim they don't do EV's, and I really don't want to take a condescending attitude and tell people how to do their job "be sure to use the jack mounts with these hockey puck type devices that are in the trunk, and don't forget to put them back! The odometer is on the center display, tap the Tesla icon! The T on the top! etc."

Where are all you Long Islanders (especially Suffolk County) getting your Teslas inspected? Yeah I can legally bring it anywhere that performs car inspections, but as with everyone else - I don't want to deal with a shop that's going to jack my battery, claim they don't do EV's, and I really don't want to take a condescending attitude and tell people how to do their job "be sure to use the jack mounts with these hockey puck type devices that are in the trunk, and don't forget to put them back! The odometer is on the center display, tap the Tesla icon! The T on the top! etc."
I and others went to Jiffy Lube in Bethpage. Some have just gone to gas stations. I saw a good referral on the FB LI Owners group for Oakwood Car Care in Huntington.

Reactions: Plug-n-Play
I have an appt next week at Mercedes of Nanuet. I have my 4 jack pads too assuming they’ll need them. Will update this post with my experience for anyone in Rockland that will need to do the same.
They inspected my Model S and Model 3 without any issues. Remember, it's cheaper as it's only safety inspection and no need for emissions testing. They could not believe it was a 2012 with over 100K miles.