Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

O.C to Scottsdale Arizona - Lastminute Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I have a lastminute roadtrip from Irvine, CA to Scottsdale, AZ in the afternoon. I plan to stop at Indio, CA and Quartzsite, AZ for supercharging. Probably charge to 160 miles at each supercharger. Is there anything I should take into account, weather(wind), elevation??

Thanks!

I only drove twice out of California in the past 20 years...never been to Arizona so if you recommend anything to see on the way...lemme know. I will be there for a day.

I have a lastminute roadtrip from Irvine, CA to Scottsdale, AZ in the afternoon. I plan to stop at Indio, CA and Quartzsite, AZ for supercharging. Probably charge to 160 miles at each supercharger. Is there anything I should take into account, weather(wind), elevation??

Thanks!

I only drove twice out of California in the past 20 years...never been to Arizona so if you recommend anything to see on the way...lemme know. I will be there for a day.

Well, for starters, tumbleweeds have been seen blowing through the Quartzsite SC. And it’s adjacent arguably the worst, stankiest restrooms/Carl’s Jr in the country.

It can be windy. If you charge to a 20% buffer instead of when it tells you you’re good to go (usually at 10-13%), you’ll be fine.

One of the most godawful boring drives on the continent - my condolences :).

I avoid the Phoenix area like the plague but Scottsdale is certainly nice - that’s where I’d go. There may still be a Rock(efeller) Resort called the Boulders up in Carefree, AZ which was a nice place to have a beverage - but check first as it’s been years.

Good luck.

Reactions: K-MTG
I do this trip all the time as I work in California and live just south of Phoenix. I use a 1.5 buffer - so if the next supercharger is 120 miles away, I charge to 180 miles. This allows me to drive at around 75 mph with no range anxiety. In Quartzsite, I often walk down the street to the Dairy Queen and/or Subway shop. You could also stop there first and then head to the supercharger.

I would also suggest stopping in Buckeye to charge before heading off to Scottsdale.

We're going to Phoenix area tomorrow from South OC
I plan on stopping at either Cabazon or Indio then Quartzsite
I have an S90d so quite similar to OP

I'll be on the west side, near Litchfield Park
We'll return the next day so if time permits I'll backtrack to Buckeye before we leave and get a full charge before we leave

We're going to Phoenix area tomorrow from South OC
I plan on stopping at either Cabazon or Indio then Quartzsite
I have an S90d so quite similar to OP

I'll be on the west side, near Litchfield Park
We'll return the next day so if time permits I'll backtrack to Buckeye before we leave and get a full charge before we leave
Id go to Indio then Quartzsite. Better stuff in Indio and better stop overall...

Speed is your only enemy as people drive pretty fast on the I-10 once in AZ. Agreed on the quartzsite SC. The Carl's Junior is just barely ok.
Keep in mind that Phoenix is a large spread out city and Scottsdale is a bit away from downtown. Depending on how much driving you plan to do once in the city, make sure you have a place to charge or enough juice left to make it back to buckeye.

We are in Scottsdale. PM me if you need to charge (80a). The store at Fashion Square has HPWCs. I am sure you can ask them and the SVC in Tempe has a supercharger but it is not open to the public (again, you could ask).

Lots of public and some destination chargers around.

Minimum 160 miles of range leaving Indio CA heading west to Cabazon CA. A distance of 43 miles but if a storm blows through you’ll be thankful to have the range. If you don’t need it at Cabazon CA then onto Rancho Cucamunga you go! It’s always good to keep a 30% cushion for the rest of your travels. Enjoy the openness of Arizona and it’s ruggedness. There’s beauty viewing the expanse.