Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

Oahu FSD worthwhile (at $7k)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha All,

Is there a consensus here about whether FSD makes sense to buy for Oahu driving? I am trying to decide whether it's worth adding now (or ever) for the M-Y.

Interested in perspectives from those who chose to do it (unless it was a money-is-no-object sort of choice) and those who decided against it.

When I originally ordered my M3, I passed on FSD, thinking I would just add it later if it ever materialized. My car was delivered in March 2018, with enhanced autopilot only. Then HW 3.0 was announced, and I decided to go for the upgrade, when it went on sale for $2k, because I didn’t like the idea of being stuck with dead-end technology, and left out of the innovations that would come on the way to FSD. Even if the car never reaches its full robotaxi potential, I enjoy the new features, which continue to make my car better than when it was brand new. Also, the possibility that the cost could go up later, played into my decision to pull the trigger sooner than later.

Nothing really unique to being in Hawaii, for me. I use autopilot for 90% of my freeway commuting, but rarely use navigate on autopilot, because I don’t like how it always wants to switch lanes before off ramps. Everything will get better with time, though, and I do look forward to the day where my car will take me to work with minimal input from me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bobhilt
I pulled the trigger on FSD when it was on "sale" too. Looking forward to scheduling my HW3 upgrade once the corona craziness is gone. I use autopilot every day on my commute and it has made dealing with Oahu traffic 1000% better. I can't wait to get the traffic light detection once it's released and my HW3 install is completed.

I also don't care for navigate on AP either. Unfortunately, Hawaii drivers don't understand the concept of passing lane on the left, and the Tesla's constant desire to move back and forth from the middle to the left lane is too much.

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir and Bobhilt