Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

separate commercial and personal use FSD pricing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the general consensus there seems to be that FSD is too expensive for most people at the current $15,000 price, but that's often justified by the claim that once it's complete, it'll be fully capable of functioning as an autonomous robo-taxi, and thus pay for itself, it seems to me that having separate pricing for separate uses might make more sense.

(For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that Tesla does indeed succeed at making vehicles entirely capable of autonomous operation, that are suitable for robo-taxi use.)

For example, perhaps offer personal/family FSD for $5,000, which is only functional with one of a few known drivers in the car, such as the owner and a few family members, and perhaps driving short distances unoccupied, such as to park for convenience. Meanwhile if you're planning to use it as an autonomous robo-taxi, that could be under a commercial use license for $20,000. They could also offer an option to add additional friends or family members to a family subscription if the limit was reached for an additional per-person fee.

That way for those who just want an easier and less stressful ride, or the ability to multitask while driving, they could have a much more affordable option, while those that expect to profit from the autonomy would be more willing to pay the full commercial license cost. Subscription options could likewise be made available at the different price tiers.

I'm interested in your thoughts on such a potential system, and whether it might be something Tesla would consider at some point.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Almost certainly a moot point since our cars (HW3/HW4) have a near 0% chance of reaching L4/L5 (no matter how overly optimistic Elon is). Even if (which they won't) it is still YEARS away.

No doubt Elon has pushed Tesla to WAY overprice the FSD option and probably hard to pull back on that. At this time a better method might be a 2 or 3 tier subscription pricing and drop the purchase option altogether since it is nearly priced out of the market anyway.

Possible example:
$100 personal/up to 3 users
$200 light commercial/up to 10 users a week
$500 full comercial

Still I believe this is all BS applicable for our cars and I would be tickled pick to have a solid ODD L3 system.

Last edited:
it'll be fully capable of functioning as an autonomous robo-taxi
Practically, Tesla controls the future vehicle software that delivers the previously promised FSD Capability where some people claim it should include the ability to operate without a human driver, but what Tesla actually delivers could effectively be unusable as a robo-taxi without a new option to purchase/subscribe.

Basically, yes, Tesla could sell "FSD Capability + Robo-Taxi" as separate packages that avoids the current "$15k is cheap for robo-taxi" while potentially lowering the cost of driver assistance features. The robo-taxi package could even involve some revenue share differences, e.g.,
  • $0/mo, owner keeps 30%
  • $100/mo, owner keeps 50%
  • 2018 FSD buyers: $0/mo, owner keeps 50%
And similarly your distinction of personal vs commercial could be included as part of that pricing structure that Tesla also could use to incentivize deployments to under-served areas or whatever else they want to focus on. It might even naturally incorporate personal vs commercial by the amount of usage, e.g., first X drives or miles per month is "free" / included.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Practically, Tesla controls the future vehicle software that delivers the previously promised FSD Capability where some people claim it should include the ability to operate without a human driver, but what Tesla actually delivers could effectively be unusable as a robo-taxi without a new option to purchase/subscribe.

Basically, yes, Tesla could sell "FSD Capability + Robo-Taxi" as separate packages that avoids the current "$15k is cheap for robo-taxi" while potentially lowering the cost of driver assistance features. The robo-taxi package could even involve some revenue share differences, e.g.,
  • $0/mo, owner keeps 30%
  • $100/mo, owner keeps 50%
  • 2018 FSD buyers: $0/mo, owner keeps 50%
And similarly your distinction of personal vs commercial could be included as part of that pricing structure that Tesla also could use to incentivize deployments to under-served areas or whatever else they want to focus on. It might even naturally incorporate personal vs commercial by the amount of usage, e.g., first X drives or miles per month is "free" / included.
*2016 FSD buyers: $0/month, owner keeps 100% /s

The FSD Transfer eligibility even makes this distinction.

Note: Vehicles delivered prior to July 20, 2023, used inventory vehicles, vehicles used for commercial purposes and leased vehicles are not eligible.

• Informative
Given the general consensus there seems to be that FSD is too expensive for most people at the current $15,000 price, but that's often justified by the claim that once it's complete, it'll be fully capable of functioning as an autonomous robo-taxi, and thus pay for itself, it seems to me that having separate pricing for separate uses might make more sense.

(For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that Tesla does indeed succeed at making vehicles entirely capable of autonomous operation, that are suitable for robo-taxi use.)

For example, perhaps offer personal/family FSD for $5,000, which is only functional with one of a few known drivers in the car, such as the owner and a few family members, and perhaps driving short distances unoccupied, such as to park for convenience. Meanwhile if you're planning to use it as an autonomous robo-taxi, that could be under a commercial use license for $20,000. They could also offer an option to add additional friends or family members to a family subscription if the limit was reached for an additional per-person fee.

That way for those who just want an easier and less stressful ride, or the ability to multitask while driving, they could have a much more affordable option, while those that expect to profit from the autonomy would be more willing to pay the full commercial license cost. Subscription options could likewise be made available at the different price tiers.

I'm interested in your thoughts on such a potential system, and whether it might be something Tesla would consider at some point.
Yes, that's a good possibility. I think tiered pricing with controls as you suggest would bring more revenue in. Can't count only on RT revenue. BTW, if an Uber car can make about $5K / month it's only 3 months to pay off today's FSD price. And an RT fleet operator could command a volume price below $15K, maybe as low as under $10k? I won't be buying FSD even after V12.x.y.z when it's running smoothly. Even $200/month is too much with a break even on $12K at 5 years. I'll just use it when needed for big city trips as long as AP Phantom Braking is totally fixed for road trips.

Almost certainly a moot point since our cars (HW3/HW4) have a near 0% chance of reaching L4/L5 (no matter how overly optimistic Elon is). Even if (which they won't) it is still YEARS away.

No doubt Elon has pushed Tesla to WAY overprice the FSD option and probably hard to pull back on that. At this time a better method might be a 2 or 3 tier subscription pricing and drop the purchase option altogether since it is nearly priced out of the market anyway.

Possible example:
$100 personal/up to 3 users
$200 light commercial/up to 10 users a week
$500 full comercial

Still I believe this is all BS applicable for our cars and I would be tickled pick to have a solid ODD L3 system.
Applying ElonTime Law: (2 weeks x Optimism factor X)^3, where X=52 yields 8years from 2019 means we have FSD-L3 by 2027 - YAY!

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02