Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD connector ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a company that makes an adapter, the OEM plug they use is located behind the panel under the rear USB ports. Last I checked it is expensive for a wiring harness and I am pretty sure it has something to do with monitoring if a child is in a car seat. So you don't forget that there is a child back there.

I've found some info on another forum but it still seems to be quite early to expect a 'plug and play' solution to get data out of the CAN bus, which is what I'm after. I suspect there's no easy way to get anything useful from the OBD port using that adapter.

I purchased the VeePeak Bluetooth OBD interface from Amazon.
Says it is compatible with various third party IDE / Applications on both iPad and Android.
Still another month (or more) until I get my Model 3 LR P-Lite, so I have no idea if it will work.

Hoping to show custom gauges (kw / hp, A, V, SOC details etc).

I joined the SmartCharge Rewards program by Fleetcarma - a sort of charging monitoring program to help the electric utilities optimize their system for EV use - and they sent me a small transponder device that connects via OBDII, and the adaptor thingie that connects to the connectors behind the seats. All for free. You disconnect the connector that's behind the panel between the seats underneath the rear USB ports, plug this adaptor between the 2 ends, and now you have an OBDII port.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I joined the SmartCharge Rewards program by Fleetcarma - a sort of charging monitoring program to help the electric utilities optimize their system for EV use - and they sent me a small transponder device that connects via OBDII, and the adaptor thingie that connects to the connectors behind the seats. All for free. You disconnect the connector that's behind the panel between the seats underneath the rear USB ports, plug this adaptor between the 2 ends, and now you have an OBDII port.

Pictures?

Pictures - hmmm, I should have taken some when I was installing it. It's kind of a pain to get to, especially just to take some pics.

And no, not the same as that port cable - this thing has 3 ends - the OBDII, and the 2 ends that plug into the connector that you disconnect. So it's a pass through connector as far as the car is concerned, but the OBDII is attached to the appropriate wires.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz and hoang51
I purchased the VeePeak Bluetooth OBD interface from Amazon.
Says it is compatible with various third party IDE / Applications on both iPad and Android.
Still another month (or more) until I get my Model 3 LR P-Lite, so I have no idea if it will work.

Hoping to show custom gauges (kw / hp, A, V, SOC details etc).

You just spent an initial down payment on further tools required. What you bought isn't really compatible with TM3 directly. I have DashDyno SPD made by Auterra and I was hoping to use it to collect some data and display gauges and graphs. Turns out TM3 doesn't output legacy data through an OBD2 port. So I have a legacy tool collecting dust. You will probably need to buy something additional like @mccgregor listed above for a few hundred bucks, which in my opinion isn't a good financial investment for simple data tracking. No guarantee that your OBD2 reader will be compatible.

You can try doing it the cheaper route like how Wugz on Reddit does it via software, but you might not get to display custom gauges, and you'll probably have to do some custom coding to output custom gauges. Look at Wugz's additional posts for what data was able to collect.