Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

observations from new driver in HK with new face lift S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have driven for many years abroad but only recently started driving in HK with the S 60 - I have put on 500km in just over a week

Some observations:

(1) street signs and lane markings make no sense sometimes! Too many double white lines actually create more dangerous lane changing scenarios IMO

(2) parking is surprisingly cheap compared to downtown in major US cities

(3) the GPS was terrible for HK Island - but luckily I just got 8.0 via OTA which seems to improve things a lot!

(4) AutoToll - I could not get this to work - I put it right where the instructions say to under the rear view mirror. Where is the best place to put this in the facelift Model S, and more importantly, how do I take off the adhesive ? (I stuck it on pretty well)

(5) I have been to observe a few super charger locations - only the Science Park one seems to have a line of some sort.

> (3) the GPS was terrible for HK Island - but luckily I just got 8.0 via OTA which seems to improve things a lot!

Interesting to hear this! I hear that Tesla has high precision GPS. Do you feel it's considerably better than the GPS of other cars? Otherwise it is not usable for HK island as you said

(1) street signs and lane markings make no sense sometimes! Too many double white lines actually create more dangerous lane changing scenarios IMO

Just takes some getting used to. Certainly took me awhile to get used to the rhyme & reason of it, as it isn't always immediately obvious. Generally, I find double white lines are there to help merging traffic from encroaching. Given the narrowness of many of our roads and compressed merging distances (being much shorter here than in other places), those double lines, when obeyed (which thankfully most drivers do), are welcomed.

No doubt though, getting caught on the wrong side of a double white is something that all drivers in HK have experienced at one time or another, and can easily add several kilometers to your trip, as legal U-turns are hard to come by, and re-tracing your path can often involve lots of hassle. HK roads are thoughtfully designed but certainly unforgiving, especially for the un-initiated!.

(side note: I've noticed Tesla GPS, as well as Google Maps, both occasionally attempt routings that, if followed, would necessitate crossing a double-white. Tricky problem to solve, as it requires *really* good data, and *really* precise knowledge of lane markings. If you're not sure, go into Google street-view before setting off, track the route, and make sure it's not trying to put you in a situation where you have to break the law to get where you're going!)

(3) the GPS was terrible for HK Island - but luckily I just got 8.0 via OTA which seems to improve things a lot!

Got my 8.0 update overnight. Can't wait to try!

(4) AutoToll - I could not get this to work - I put it right where the instructions say to under the rear view mirror. Where is the best place to put this in the facelift Model S, and more importantly, how do I take off the adhesive ? (I stuck it on pretty well)

Install it in the front grille. There's a good youtube out there if you fancy a bit of DIY. Otherwse, book an app't with Tesla and they can install it for you in 15 mins.

(5) I have been to observe a few super charger locations - only the Science Park one seems to have a line of some sort.

They're all going have lines at one time or another. Get yourself signed up to the HK E-Charge network. They have really good coverage, and an app where you can check charger availability in real-time. Very handy.

Good luck and happy driving!

I feel your pain. Particularly frustrating is when the street sign telling you which lane to be in is after the double white line starts.

In Hong Kong, you need to know both which street you need to be on, as well as which lane in that street. Incredibly frustrating.