Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsidian Black - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was picking a color for my Model 3 I wandered a lot and found a Black Model S next to an Obsidian Black Model S. They were both dusty, and I could NOT tell the difference. I had to read the Monroneys several times to be sure what I was looking at. I looked really hard. Looked the same.

But a fascinating second phenomenon only became apparent to me recently. If you take care of your car—make sure it has a good underlying shine—it still looks great from a distance even when dirty. It's like the surface effects can only be seen up close or something.

From a distance:
rXvJzc+

Up close (same moment):
SpDo9Q+

When I was picking a color for my Model 3 I wandered a lot and found a Black Model S next to an Obsidian Black Model S. They were both dusty, and I could NOT tell the difference. I had to read the Monroneys several times to be sure what I was looking at. I looked really hard. Looked the same.

But a fascinating second phenomenon only became apparent to me recently. If you take care of your car—make sure it has a good underlying shine—it still looks great from a distance even when dirty. It's like the surface effects can only be seen up close or something.

From a distance:
rXvJzc+

Up close (same moment):
SpDo9Q+

Same moment? First shot is in the shade and on pavement. Second shot is in sunlight and on a driveway.

Anyone have prices for tint and coat in Austin? Hoping to get my AWD before the end of the year and will want to do both of these. Thanks!
I'm going to take mine to Clearbra of North Austin's Store (in Pflugerville), Authentic Detail: www.authenticdetails.com

My quote for Model 3:
Suntek Ultra PPF - Full Body - 4k
Suntek CIR Window Tint - $550
Suntek CIR 80% Windshield - $250
Paint Correct, est - $300
Console PPF - $175

They also offer a 10% Discount for Active Duty Military or Veterans.

I thought I had my color choice locked in with the flat black until they introduced the obsidian black. Does anyone have experience with obsidian on an S or seen them in person? I ordered flat black but I’m considering making a change and wanted input from someone who has seen them in person.
I was talked into the obsidian black for my model S and I hate it. Have had black cars my entire life and I really cannot stand the obsidian. Not worth the upcharge.

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC
I think of "flat black" as "matte black" (dull not reflective). Usually the only flat/matte black cars you see are wraps.

I think the base/standard Tesla black is a non-metallic glossy black, not "flat".

Example of "flat black":
Ne Yo Flat Black Bentley
It's 'flat' in the sense of lacking depth, so I wouldn't call it glossy either. It is why a good ceramic coat does a lot for it.

It's 'flat' in the sense of lacking depth, so I wouldn't call it glossy either. It is why a good ceramic coat does a lot for it.

I have the plain black on my P3D+. Once it was paint-corrected and ceramic coated, it's beautiful. Very deep and glossy. Like all black cars though, it's now impossible to keep clean. Yes, the ceramic coating makes it way easier to get the dirt off of the car, but does nothing to prevent the dirt from getting on the car.

I swore to myself that I'd never get a black car again, and yet here I am. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Like all black cars though, it's now impossible to keep clean. Yes, the ceramic coating makes it way easier to get the dirt off of the car, but does nothing to prevent the dirt from getting on the car.
Right, it's the "depth" that the ceramic adds to this black. It's somewhat akin to a multicoat. Tesla's Solid Black by itself lacks that gloss that can make blacks look really wet. If you just clean (and even if you polish to paint correct) it can be shiny but it doesn't look 'deep'.

P.S. The good news for you is that Houston's pollen season is only about 8 months of the year. ;)