Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obtain Vehicle Data From Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That page itself is a bit borked. Go here instead: Obtain a Copy of the Vehicle Data Associated With Your Tesla Account

(I added ?redirect=no, which other Tesla pages use and seems to work)

Basically, you end up going here: Tesla SSO - Sign In

Select "Data Privacy Request", then "Obtain a copy of my data", select the VIN, and send the request. I just did this, got an email saying they're working on it as confirmation. Will report back with what it contains.

This disclaimer is interesting (emphasis mine),

By clicking Submit, I understand and certify that I was the driver or passenger in the vehicle during the requested date period. To the extent there were other occupants of the vehicle, I represent that I have obtained the required consent from all other occupants of the vehicle necessary to receive passenger data as part of this request.

The implication is that somehow private data of occupants is included in the request, which I find very interesting. It could include Bluetooth Low Energy scan information I guess? But then it would include people outside the vehicle as well. Anyhow, interested to see what comes through.

That page itself is a bit borked. Go here instead: Obtain a Copy of the Vehicle Data Associated With Your Tesla Account

(I added ?redirect=no, which other Tesla pages use and seems to work)

Basically, you end up going here: Tesla SSO - Sign In

Thanks very much, I sent off the request for the 2 month time period between Sept to Oct 2019 where I was having the AC charging irregularities. I got a notification of the request including the 30 day possible wait.

Regarding the TesliFi data, I downloaded the raw data files from them for that time period. They are CVS files and included the charge info I need. The data which Tesla will hopefully send me, will it be in the same CVS format?

Reactions: SmartElectric
Thanks very much, I sent off the request for the 2 month time period between Sept to Oct 2019 where I was having the AC charging irregularities. I got a notification of the request including the 30 day possible wait.

Regarding the TesliFi data, I downloaded the raw data files from them for that time period. They are CVS files and included the charge info I need. The data which Tesla will hopefully send me, will it be in the same CVS format?

The data will probably have nothing related to your charging incidents. To my understanding, it'll mostly be personal and/or private data that Tesla has about you, not necessarily anything to do with the car.

I don't know what format it'll come in (and it'll probably be multiple files), but I very highly doubt it'll be a CSV, and definitely nothing like TeslaFi's exported data.

The data will probably have nothing related to your charging incidents. To my understanding, it'll mostly be personal and/or private data that Tesla has about you, not necessarily anything to do with the car.

I don't know what format it'll come in (and it'll probably be multiple files), but I very highly doubt it'll be a CSV, and definitely nothing like TeslaFi's exported data.

My understanding is that the API data is what is used for the Tesla app. We have access to all that information in real time but no way to record it using Tesla resources.

I did a quick search for anyone who has used this service and came up with nothing. I'll be sure to report back on what they send me.

I reviewed their description and I may receive a fair amount of data:

"This information includes, but is not limited to:

• Vehicle usage information. For example, charging states, speed, gear selection, acceleration information, vehicle interaction data (e.g., door unlocking, trunk release, air conditioning state, wiper speed, horn status, seatbelt buckle status)
  • Autopilot information (if applicable)
  • Sentry mode images (if applicable)
  • Infotainment system settings information
  • Mobile app usage

Last edited:
My understanding is that the API data is what is used for the Tesla app. We have access to all that information in real time but no way to record it using Tesla resources.

I did a quick search for anyone who has used this service and came up with nothing. I'll be sure to report back on what they send me.

I reviewed their description and I may receive a fair amount of data:

"This information includes, but is not limited to:

• Vehicle usage information. For example, charging states, speed, gear selection, acceleration information, vehicle interaction data (e.g., door unlocking, trunk release, air conditioning state, wiper speed, horn status, seatbelt buckle status)
  • Autopilot information (if applicable)
  • Sentry mode images (if applicable)
  • Infotainment system settings information
  • Mobile app usage

I've written my own googleappscript hosted js app that constantly queries the tesla server for my vehicle information in real time (1s intervals). The documentation for the API can be found here Tesla API My app allows me to track my driving and charging sessions.

There's definitely more functionality available but has not been discovered by the public because Tesla doesnt disclose their API endpoints publicly.

My own app pretty much does what all the other Tesla datalogger apps do (Tezlab, Stats for Tesla, TeslaFi), albeit with less fancy visualizations cuz I'm just logging the data into my googlesheet and using the built in charts to create visualizations, but it's free :)

As for Tesla's data request files, i finally got them eventually. And, they are almost impossible to intepret. The csv file is huge with a lot of data points and does include data that is not available via API (car acceleration values, etc). However, in the file they sent me, it appears i only have one event that they ever recorded, so there's not many records to go by. Honestly, not very useful unless you already know what you are looking for and which columns will give you that info.

• Informative
I've written my own googleappscript hosted js app that constantly queries the tesla server for my vehicle information in real time (1s intervals). The documentation for the API can be found here Tesla API My app allows me to track my driving and charging sessions.

There's definitely more functionality available but has not been discovered by the public because Tesla doesnt disclose their API endpoints publicly.

My own app pretty much does what all the other Tesla datalogger apps do (Tezlab, Stats for Tesla, TeslaFi), albeit with less fancy visualizations cuz I'm just logging the data into my googlesheet and using the built in charts to create visualizations, but it's free :)

As for Tesla's data request files, i finally got them eventually. And, they are almost impossible to intepret. The csv file is huge with a lot of data points and does include data that is not available via API (car acceleration values, etc). However, in the file they sent me, it appears i only have one event that they ever recorded, so there's not many records to go by. Honestly, not very useful unless you already know what you are looking for and which columns will give you that info.

Interesting, I don't have the tech knowledge to do what you are doing but TeslaFi is working well for me. Having this real time data available to owners seems to be very popular, hopefully Tesla makes it officially available to us at some point.

I was surprised to receive some of the data I requested today. Firefox wasn't working well with the Tesla data request page and I ended up unintentionally getting data from two weeks ago which is what I received today, I put in a second request for the time period where I was having charging abnormalities. The first request didn't specify what info I wanted but I did specify charging data on the second request so we'll see if the data package is any different.

Here is a list of the data points that they sent me. It was all originally in CVS format.

VIN,DATE (UTC),Offboard Charger ID,Charge Handle Communication Signal,Charge Cable Connected,Charge Cable Secured,Charge Port Door Button Pressed,Fast Charge Adapter Latch Status,Autopilot Trial Status,Estimated Brake Pedal Position,Passenger Seat Occupant Classification,Gear Selector Stalk Status,UI Setting - PIN to Drive,PIN Tto Drive accepted,Requested Charge Current (Amps),UI Setting - Automatic Emergency Braking,UI Setting - Automatic High Beam,UI Setting - Vehicle Alarm,UI Setting - Automatic High/Low Beams Enabled,UI Setting - Automatic Lane Change,Request Automatic Parking,UI Request - Enable Charging,UI Setting - Door Child Locking,UI Request - lose Charge Port Door,UI Setting - Navigate on Autopilot,UI Request - Factory Reset,UI Setting - Forward Collision Warning,UI Setting - Forward Collision Warning Sensitivity,UI Request - Follow Navigate on Autopilot Route,UI Request - Front Trunk Open,UI Setting - Disable Air Conditioning,Air Conditioning - Air Distribution Mode,Air Conditioning - Cabin Blower Setting,Air Conditioning - Cabin Defog Mode,Air Conditioning - Cabin Air Recirculation Mode,Air Conditioning - Rear Cabin Blower Setting,Seating - Left Front Temperature,Seating - Right Front Temperature,Air Conditioning - State,UI Setting - Autosteer,UI Setting - Lane Departure Warning,UI Setting - Headlamps,UI Request - Vehicle Lock/Unlock,UI Setting - Mirror Fold ,Navigation Route Active,Navigating to Supercharger,Odometer (Kilometers),UI Request - Open Charger Port Door,UI Request - Park Brake,UI Setting - Acceleration Mode,Mobile App - Remote Closure Request,Mobile App - Remote Start Request,UI Setting - Headlamps After Exit,Auto Summon Status,UI Setting - Steering Mode,Summon State,UI Request - Track Mode,UI Request - Trunk Open/Close,UI Setting - Lane Change Mode,UI Setting - Unlock On Park,"Air Conditioning - Left Side, Split/Focus","Air Conditioning - Left Side, Split Percentage ","Air Conditioning - Left Side, Vertical Position","Air Conditioning - Left Side, Horizontal Position","Air Conditioning - Right Side, Split/Focus","Air Conditioning - Right Side, Split Percentage ","Air Conditioning - Right Side, Vertical Position","Air Conditioning - Right Side, Horizontal Position",UI Setting - Walk Away Door Locking,UI Setting - Winch Mode,UI Request - Wiper Mode,Wiper Speed,Daytime Running Light Status - Left,Daytime Running Light Status - Right,Front Trunk Access Post Usage,Front Trunk Release - Interior Switch,Front Passenger Present,Cabin Preconditioning Status,Overhead Map Light - Front Left Switch,Overhead Map Light - Front Right Switch,Overhead Map Light - Rear Left Switch,Overhead Map Light - Rear Right Switch,Left Rear Window Auto-Down Switch,Left Rear Window Auto-Up Switch,Left Rear Window Down Switch,Left Front Window Auto-Down Switch,Left Rear Window Auto-Down Switch,Right Front Window Auto-Down Switch,Right Rear Window Auto-Down Switch,Left Front Window Auto-Up Switch,Left Rear Window Auto-Up Switch,Right Front Window Auto-Up Switch,Right Rear Window Auto-Up Switch,Left Front Window Down Switch,Left Rear Window Down Switch,Right Front Window Down Switch,Right Rear Window Down Switch,Left Front Window Up Switch,Left Rear Window Up Switch,Right Front Window Up Switch,Right Rear Window Up Switch,Left Rear Window Up Switch,Steering Column Profile Recall,Front Left Seatbelt Buckle Status,Front Left Seat - Backrest Position,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Backrest Back,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Backrest Forward,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Lift Down,Front Left Seat - Lift Position,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Lift Up,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Lumbar Down,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Lumbar In,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Lumbar Out,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Lumbar Up,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Tilt Down,Front Left Seat - Tilt Position,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Switch Tilt Up,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Track Back,Switch Request - Front Left Seat Track Forward,Front Left Seat - Track Position,Hazard Warning Switch Status,Horn Switch Status,"Seat Occupancy Status - Rear, Centre",Rear Air Conditioning Control Switch Status,"Door External Release - Left side, Rear","Door Internal Release - Left side, Rear","Seatbelt Buckle Status - Left Side, Rear","Seat Occupancy Status - Left Side, Rear","Seat Occupancy Status - Right Side, Rear","Seat Profile Recall - Left Side, Front",Left Steering Wheel Switch - Pressed,Left Steering Wheel Switch - Scroll,Left Steering Wheel Switch - Tilt Left,Left Steering Wheel Switch - Tilt Left,Right Steering Wheel Switch - Pressed,Right Steering Wheel Switch - Scroll,Right Steering Wheel Switch - Tilt Left,Right Steering Wheel Switch - Tilt Left,"Right Front Window, Auto-Down Switch","Right Rear Window, Auto-Down Switch","Right Front Window, Auto-Up Switch","Right Rear Window, Auto-Up Switch","Right Front Window, Down Switch","Right Rear Window, Down Switch","Left Front Window, Auto-Down Switch","Left Rear Window, Auto-Down Switch","Right Rear Window, Auto-Down Switch","Left Front Window, Auto-Up Switch","Left Rear Window, Auto-Up Switch","Right Rear Window, Auto-Up Switch","Left Front Window, Down Switch","Left Rear Window, Down Switch","Right Rear Window, Down Switch","Left Front Window, Up Switch","Left Rear Window, Up Switch","Right Rear Window, Up Switch","Right Front Window, Up Switch","Right Rear Window, Up Switch","Seatbelt Buckle Status - Right Side, Front","Door External Release - Right Side, Front","Door Internal Release - Right Side, Front",Front Right Seat - Backrest Position,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Backrest Back,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Backrest Forward,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Lift Down,Front Right Seat - Lift Position,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Lift Up,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Lumbar Down,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Lumbar In,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Lumbar Out,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Lumbar Up,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Tilt Down,Front Right Seat - Tilt Position,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Switch Tilt Up,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Track Back,Switch Request - Front Right Seat Track Forward,Front Right Seat - Track Position,"Seatbelt Buckle Status - Centre, Rear","Door External Release - Right Side, Rear","Door Internal Release - Right Side, Rear","Seatbelt Buckle Status - Right, Rear",Seat Profile Recall - Front Right,Bluetooth Device 0 Status,Bluetooth Device 1 Status,Bluetooth Device 2 Status,Bluetooth Device 3 Status,Multiple NFC Cards Detected at Left Pillar,Multiple NFC Cards Detected at Left Pillar,ID of NFC card at Left Reader,ID of NFC card at Right Reader,Multiple NFC Cards Detected at Centre Console,ID of NFC card at Centre Console Reader,Lock/Unlock Authentication from Pillar Reader,Drive Authentication from Centre Console Reader,Identity of the Active Key Device,Vehicle Alarm Status,Vehicle Authentication Status,Charge Port Door Lock Status,Charge Port Door Request,Lock Request Type,Summon Request Status,Trunk Movement Status,Mobile App Request - Left Front Window,Mobile App Request - Left Rear Window,Mobile App Request - Right Front Window,Mobile App Request - Left Front Window,Mobile App Window

I received this reply from Tesla.

"Your request for vehicle data between August 1st 2019 – October 31st 2019 has been processed and returned no results. Please note this is not an error, as it is common for privacy requests, including yours, to return no results because of Tesla’s privacy-by-design practices.

Any vehicle data that isn’t provided is either in a form that is not personally identifiable or linked to your Tesla Account, is stored in an end-to-end encrypted format that Tesla cannot decrypt, is not customer related, is not stored by Tesla at all, or is not currently part of a standard request. Additionally, some data may have been held only for a very short time and is no longer on our servers."

My wife was in an accident today (she's ok). The car is now in a tow lot and I can't get it till tomorrow. We didn't have a USB drive plugged in.

I just sent a request to "Obtain a Copy of My data" to Tesla at Obtain a Copy of the Data Associated With Your Tesla Account for the past two days.

On their FAQ page they say some of the data includes, but is not limited to .... Safety event camera recordings.

Anyone think there is a chance Tesla will send me video of the accident?

• Helpful
We didn't have a USB drive plugged in.

When you get back to the car, try putting in a USB drive and see if it saved the video. From the recent release notes... (Not sure if "panic event" means a crash or not)

"Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen." 2020.48.5

When you get back to the car, try putting in a USB drive and see if it saved the video. From the recent release notes... (Not sure if "panic event" means a crash or not)

"Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen." 2020.48.5

Thanks for the suggestion...that is my plan...I already have a USB device formatted for it