Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Occasional clicking from front tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S has occasional clicking noise coming from front tires. It doesn't happen at regular intervals, and it doesn't happen only upon acceleration, deceleration, turning, etc. It seems to be more random.

Video of the front left tire. You can hear clicks at 0:06, 0:11, 0:16, two clicks at 0:33, 1:20, 1:24, 1:32, 1:36, 2:00, 2:06, 2:10, 2:13. Some clicks are louder and easier to hear, some are more dull and soft and sound slightly different.

There are a few other posts about clicking from the tires. The sounds in those videos are similar but not exactly like mine. And they don't happen in the same irregular pattern as mine.

Other clicking tire posts:

Any ideas?

Follow up. Took it into the service center. Did a 3-minute test drive with the technician. About 20 seconds into the drive he said it could be one of 2 or 3 things. He didn't tell me what those things were (or if he did, I forgot). He drove into the shop. I waited a couple hours and my car was ready. I didn't get to talk to the technician again. The invoice says:

"Verified customer concern. Diagnosed and Clicking coming form the front and rear axle to hub
connection. Recommended front and rear axle in hub lubrication. Maintenance Performed: Lubricate
at Hub Left Front Drive Unit Halfshaft. Maintenance Performed: Lubricate at Hub Right Front Drive
Unit Halfshaft. Customer declined rear hub lubrication. After finishing up the front axle lubrication the
nosie was still present at this time from the rear. Lubricated both rear axles too and the clicking noise
is no longer present. Verified proper operation at this time."

I had not heard the clicking coming from the rear so I declined. But they did it anyway. I'm okay with that.

Total cost $213. $84 for the diagnosis (all 3 minutes of it). $64.50/halfshaft. Would have cost me another $129 had I given them the go ahead on the two rears.

If I had a chance to talk to the technician after-the-fact, I would have asked if the clicking needs to be taken care of right away, or is it not a big deal.

It's been a week+. I have not heard the clicking sound since the visit.

Reactions: evfeh