Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd chirpy, squeaky sound when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I already have a service appointment scheduled for next Friday on an unrelated issue...I will be asking about this when I take the car in.

I got my Model 3 this past Saturday and I already have 600 miles on it (I drive nearly 90 miles a day for work M-F). I was looking through my garage Nest cam history and viewed a clip of me reversing into the garage. That's when I noticed an odd chirpy squeaky sound occurring when I'm backing in. Sounded like a bird made it into my garage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xrwv7REqscyKHAr86

I went back out to verify the noise by driving out and backing in again, this time I left my windows down, and yep, it was making that noise. At first I thought it could have been tire noise against the garage floor but it was occurring even when reversing on the driveway outside. I don't really notice it when driving forward.

As you notice in the video, I'm not applying the brakes as I'm reversing. Looking back further in my nest history, it certainly wasn't making this noise the first 4 days I've had it.

Anyone have any ideas what this might possibly be? The car seems to drive fine otherwise. The only other odd noises are coming from the creaking aero craps when at low speeds.

I've gotten gravel in a brake caliper before and it's made a nasty squeal. Hopefully this is your issue as it's trivial for a tire place to check and remove if Tesla service isn't convenient. I also make it a habit of romping on the brakes at highway speed (with no traffic around) once in a while to clear any rust that accumulates on my discs, which can cause some noise I've found.

I've gotten gravel in a brake caliper before and it's made a nasty squeal. Hopefully this is your issue as it's trivial for a tire place to check and remove if Tesla service isn't convenient. I also make it a habit of romping on the brakes at highway speed (with no traffic around) once in a while to clear any rust that accumulates on my discs, which can cause some noise I've found.

I'll have to try that. I mostly drive highway, so I certainly haven't been utilizing the brake harshly at all. The noise is not bothering me as I haven't noticed it with the windows up at all. I'll wait to see what Tesla Service finds, hopefully it's simple as gravel.

I'll have to try that. I mostly drive highway, so I certainly haven't been utilizing the brake harshly at all. The noise is not bothering me as I haven't noticed it with the windows up at all. I'll wait to see what Tesla Service finds, hopefully it's simple as gravel.
If you can have a friend try and pinpoint the noise to a particular wheel, that could be interesting/helpful for troubleshooting. Or maybe use Summon and try listening yourself?

Reactions: Faustic
If you can have a friend try and pinpoint the noise to a particular wheel, that could be interesting/helpful for troubleshooting. Or maybe use Summon and try listening yourself?

Funny you mention summon, I actually did try that and I was having difficulty pinpointing it exactly, but it sounded like it was coming from the rear-left. Going to try it again in the morning.

I was also getting a similar chirpy noise from my right rear wheel. It would start every time I applied to brakes and would last about 1 mile or so until it went away. The service tech said it was also a brake shim issue and the part is on order.

I unfortunately also have to wait on new brake pads because after 100 miles it suddenly started making a low hollow scraping/grinding noise whenever the vehicle was in motion. So the vehicle is staying put at the service center until it can get fixed. I'm pretty upset that I'm having this problem right out the gate.

I've had my Model 3 for just over a week, and yesterday the rear drivers side brake started making a loud screeching sound when I break while reversing into the garage, a parking spot, etc. I'm assuming I've got a piece of grit or road salt on the caliper, so I guess I'll have to take it to the SC. It's so LOUD though...:(

There's no sound when going forward, only when backward. There's no rust on the brakes that I can see. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and found a cause?