Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM 20" alloy as spare wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a few days in Bruges booked soon and considering taking one of the OEM 20" alloys (M3P) as a spare in case of puncture. We usually run with 18s on after-market alloys as they're not made of cheese and considerably more robust, if not quite as pretty.

As a stop-gap, any reason you couldn't run carefully for a few hundred miles with a mixed set of wheels/tyres? Not ideal but better than being stuck at the roadside. I have a low-profile jack, ramps etc if needed. Also a plug kit but hoping carrying the spare means it's redundant.

Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm getting it? In case of puncture, you are considering driving a car where one of the two axles would have your current 18" on one side and your 20" OEM 'spare tyre' on the other?
For a few hundred miles, including motorway speeds, abroad? Did I get this right?
I would absolutely never do that, it could mess up the differential, geometry, and is an MOT fail. I understand the emergency side of things where there is a tolerance but I even doubt your insurance would cover you in case of an accident once this is fitted as it's not covered in Tesla's manual...

I think you're better off with the plug kit and sealant as far as I'm concerned, and Tesla's assistance.

Reactions: M1tch
An 18 inch "space saver" is big enough ... a full width 20 inch with tyre is going to take a very significant amount of boot space. It would be fine to get you to a tyre repair or replacement location but not for driving home IMHO.

Thanks for the replies. We have breakdown cover but given that there's a 125 euro charge to tow you off the French motorway before your provider can help, then the spare seems like a good option. Wasn't planning to drive at high speeds, sorry if that wasn't obvious.

It would only be as a last resort and given we're travelling relatively light, I may just pop it in there. Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. We have breakdown cover but given that there's a 125 euro charge to tow you off the French motorway before your provider can help, then the spare seems like a good option. Wasn't planning to drive at high speeds, sorry if that wasn't obvious.

It would only be as a last resort and given we're travelling relatively light, I may just pop it in there. Cheers.
You mentioned running for a few hundred miles with a mixed set… that’s the reason for the replies!

Reactions: init6