Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Paint Protection Film (PPF) - Keep or Remove

Keep or remove OEM Paint Protection Film (PPF)?

• Keep to preserve original condition

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Remove to reduce risk of damaging paint

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Roadster Founders Series still has the original factory installed Paint Protection Film (PPF). I had originally planned to keep the film on the car indefinitely because the films have a small "Tesla logo" etching on the edges and this detail of originality might be sought after by collectors down the road.

However, I have spoken with two reputable detailers who told me I should get the PPF removed as it is 12 years old and can damage the paint if I leave it on longer. The paint on the car is all original. What do you guys think? How much of a risk is there to keeping the PPF on the paint indefinitely? Trying to decide if I should keep or remove the PPF. Thanks!

...the films have a small "Tesla logo" etching on the edges...
Never knew this! Would love to see an image of that; but it must be microscopic?

giphy.gif

My Tesla Roadster Founders Series still has the original factory installed Paint Protection Film (PPF). I had originally planned to keep the film on the car indefinitely because the films have a small "Tesla logo" etching on the edges and this detail of originality might be sought after by collectors down the road.

However, I have spoken with two reputable detailers who told me I should get the PPF removed as it is 12 years old and can damage the paint if I leave it on longer. The paint on the car is all original. What do you guys think? How much of a risk is there to keeping the PPF on the paint indefinitely? Trying to decide if I should keep or remove the PPF. Thanks!

I had my original film removed, but not for the protection reason. I had it removed so I could do a complete vehicle wrap to more fully protect the paint. The guys you removed the old film said it came off easily and there was no paint damage. The wrap I got to replace it is the XPEL film. Clear. Had them wrap several areas that didn't have a wrap before where the paint had chipped.

We had the original PPF on our car and it was beginning to yellow. Last summer/fall we had it replaced with Xpel Ultimate and ceramic. The installer had great difficulty because the PPF had gotten to the point of becoming part of the paint. He took almost two months to properly remove it and do the paint correction. He said it was very painstaking but took his time. Now the car looks amazing (especially next to our ☰)!

0B430B15-6D02-4BBA-8294-252BF49DF7BE_1_105_c.jpeg

That is a tough one. Is it yellowing or do you have plans to replace it? If it was put on at factory maybe it does become part of the paint because of the natural curing process. Maybe it would cause more damage Removing it than leaving it on. If no current problems I would leave well enough alone. The logos are a unique oem.

I actually went with ClearGuard Nano. I found this film be a bit thicker (8.2 mils thick vs. 8.0), potentially better to resist rock chips and scratches. I found a side-by-side comparison to be also slightly more clear with virtually no orange peel.

These PPF products are glorious but super expensive.

I removed most of the PPF from my Final Five Roadster, as it made the car look worn down and older than my 2008 Validation Prototype. Plus, the prior owner had scratched it considerably. It took hours to remove with a heat gun and a lot of patience. It left behind numerous amounts of residue, which took even more time to remove. I wish I'd paid someone, but once I start something, I have to finish it. :confused:

While I think the Founders will be highly collectible someday, I think a pristine paint job protected by modern PPF will preserve it far better than keeping the original, yellowing, potentially damaging PPF.

What's the lifespan of most PPF? I want to do a full paint correction and XPEL Clear on mine. 92k miles over 12 years and lots of rock chips, swirl marks, etc.

I'm no expert in paint protection film. I would note, however, that XPEL provides a 10-year warranty on their films. They state, "XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS™ Series / STEALTH™ Paint Protection Film to be free of manufacturer defects for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating."

Reactions: backmost
So it looks like the PPF came off easily for @IslandRoadster but was very difficult for @Nvbob and @DeedWest . Perhaps PPF is easier to remove on cars that live in the garage while those that have spent more time outside are difficult to remove.

Correct; When the ppf installer removed the front hood sills and door edge ppf he couldn't believe how Garage kept my car was; he said my car had never seen the light of day, came right off.

So it looks like the PPF came off easily for @IslandRoadster but was very difficult for @Nvbob and @DeedWest . Perhaps PPF is easier to remove on cars that live in the garage while those that have spent more time outside are difficult to remove.

Might be the case. Mine lived both inside and outside during it’s lifetime, so not sure what that says. And I don’t know if mine came off “easy” as I had a shop do it and paid them a lot. But it came off with problems, meaning no paint damage.

Reactions: drewski