Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Roof Rack lock broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to break two of the locks for my OEM roof rack when I dismantled it. The right side bolts unlocked the opposite way of the left-side bolts, so when I dismantled the rack I managed to snap the security bolts (they didn't give much resistance, I didn't even realize that I broke them by hand-cranking with stock umbracco).
So now I've only got 2 working security bolts, and from what I can see there is no way to fix them, so it's either buy a new set of rails or just rely on the 2 working bolts.

So my question: Would you trust the system with only 2 security bolts (one for each rail)?

Please note: SECURITY bolts, the ones you secure with a key, NOT the j-bolts)

I managed to break two of the locks for my OEM roof rack when I dismantled it. The right side bolts unlocked the opposite way of the left-side bolts, so when I dismantled the rack I managed to snap the security bolts (they didn't give much resistance, I didn't even realize that I broke them by hand-cranking with stock umbracco).
So now I've only got 2 working security bolts, and from what I can see there is no way to fix them, so it's either buy a new set of rails or just rely on the 2 working bolts.

So my question: Would you trust the system with only 2 security bolts (one for each rail)?

Please note: SECURITY bolts, the ones you secure with a key, NOT the j-bolts)

What exactly broke? The lock core? If so, you can try and swap out the lock cores with new sks lock cores. I wouldn’t rely on two working locks....that’s what holds and locks the wing nuts in place...and prevents them from loosening. That’s not very good security though if it can easily be broken by just turning the key.

Last edited:
What exactly broke? The lock core? If so, you can try and swap out the lock cores with new sks lock cores. I wouldn’t rely on two working locks....that’s what holds and locks the wing nuts in place...and prevents them from loosening. That’s not very good security though if it can easily be broken by just turning the key.
The small bolt which comes up to stop the wing nut broke. On the right side of the car it was "lefty tighty" instead of "lefty loosy", so I locked the wing nuts and then hand-cranked the wing nut with the included hex key

The small bolt which comes up to stop the wing nut broke. On the right side of the car it was "lefty tighty" instead of "lefty loosy", so I locked the wing nuts and then hand-cranked the wing nut with the included hex key

gotcha. Isn’t the tab that pops up to secure the wing nut metal? How much force did it take to break it? Sucks but you might have to order another rack. I would be worried the wing nut could loosen and back off. B

gotcha. Isn’t the tab that pops up to secure the wing nut metal? How much force did it take to break it? Sucks but you might have to order another rack. I would be worried the wing nut could loosen and back off. B
Same, I assumed I would have to get a new set.
It looks like metal, I broke it easily when I loosened it with the accompanying hex key, one hand. Probably designed to be able to break, in case the lock is stuck?

Same, I assumed I would have to get a new set.
It looks like metal, I broke it easily when I loosened it with the accompanying hex key, one hand. Probably designed to be able to break, in case the lock is stuck?

Did you ever have any resolution to this problem? I just ended up doing the same thing to two of my locks. What a stupid ****ing design that there is no consistent notation or direction.

I could care less about the lack of security in terms of the lock, but I too am concerned that the bolts could loosen. I suppose I have no problem periodically checking them with the torque wrench...

According to this page there is a 4 year warranty and also replacement parts:

Model 3 Roof Rack Installation Support

What is the warranty on the Model 3 Roof Rack?
The warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct any manufacturing defects that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years from the date of invoice to the customer.

I have lost or broken a part on my roof rack. How can I get a replacement?
Please visit your local Service Center or reach out to [email protected] to obtain replacement parts.

Hi there,

I made an account (mostly) to reply to this issue.

I had/have the exact same issue, multiple of my locking plates have broken off.

I contacted the webshop department of Tesla ([email protected]) with the issue (broken locking plates). They asked what the issue was etc., he was unaware of the issue. I also referred to this very forum to indicate that it is a somewhat common problem. After a lot of back and forth they asked me to go to a local service center so that they might be able to repair the roof rack rather than replace the whole (since it did have 4 years of guarantee). I emailed a local service shop regarding this issue and attached the conversation that I had with the online department. They then contacted me, saying that they received approval from the online department to supply me with a new roof rack. I will swap the defective one for a new one this week.

In short: email the online department and after some back and forth you will receive a new roof rack.

Kind regards,

Mark

I also made an account to reply to this :)

I emailed [email protected] today because I too have the same issue (tho only with one lock). Hoping they will take care of it after some back and forth according to Mark above :) It stinks that this cannot just be replaced easily.

I called Yakima today and they were very helpful. In case Tesla won't replace this, I ordered the Yakima A148 SKS Core & Control Key which is the code on my key.