Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Spoiler coming off on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyones Model Y Performance OEM spoiler slowly having play and have gaps between the spoiler and the trunk?

I just noticed both side coming up when I was grabbing groceries from the trunk when I looked up to push the trunk close button only to see my garage lights shine down on both left side and right side to see the glue slowly coming un done.

IMG_0446.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 199
Had mine replaced 4 total times, 3 mobile service , 1 service center. I gave up. It's coming up again. I'll probably just remove it and go aftermarket.

I got rear ended a few weeks ago with minor damage. But they need to replace the hatch so if it stays this time cool, if not aftermarket it is. Local body shop probably will do it better than Tesla anyway.

Had mine replaced 4 total times, 3 mobile service , 1 service center. I gave up. It's coming up again. I'll probably just remove it and go aftermarket.

I got rear ended a few weeks ago with minor damage. But they need to replace the hatch so if it stays this time cool, if not aftermarket it is. Local body shop probably will do it better than Tesla anyway.
Damn, I think I read here a while back that its happened to a few of us.

Did the service center try to charge you for it when you took it in? I set an appointment up for June.

The last thing I want is the spoiler falling off on the highway and hitting someone

Mine was just replaced under warranty. When I initially first picked up the car it was already lifting from the edges. The new spoiler seems to be better, but it's only been a few days since replacement and curious how it will hold up after my next car wash.

Mine was lifted on delivery day, and they replaced it with a new one that began lifting again a few months later.

On my third replacement from April, seems to be holding right now but only time will tell. They kept the vehicle overnight and left tape on to hold the edges and spoiler to have the tape cure and stick better. I purchased some 3M trim tape to keep on hand, and if I find the edges starting to lift again I'm going to tape it down to see if that solves it.

Damn, I think I read here a while back that its happened to a few of us.

Did the service center try to charge you for it when you took it in? I set an appointment up for June.

The last thing I want is the spoiler falling off on the highway and hitting someone
No never got charged. Just a hassle to be honest. Tesla either needs to change the design or add clips on the corners to help.

Yeah I def agree. I just got prompted its going to be a mobile service.

On the app, it wanted me to go in and approve the estimates for 0 dollars.

Considering the amount of people here that had to do this a few times, my chances are that Ill eventually have to go thru the same.

For the people that had to do it multiple, do they just take off the adhesive, clean up the spoiler, trunk and just reapply new adhesive or did they replace the entire spoiler with a new one?

Yeah I def agree. I just got prompted its going to be a mobile service.

On the app, it wanted me to go in and approve the estimates for 0 dollars.

Considering the amount of people here that had to do this a few times, my chances are that Ill eventually have to go thru the same.

For the people that had to do it multiple, do they just take off the adhesive, clean up the spoiler, trunk and just reapply new adhesive or did they replace the entire spoiler with a new one?
They replaced mine with a brand new one and added additional tape. The service guy told me it's a hassle to clean the old spoiler and add new tape so more than likely you'll get a new spoiler too.

I'm on my second one and it's lifting off as well :(. When they replaced it, they said they always use a new one because removing the old one breaks it.
So far so good but again its only been a few days.

Sounds like Ill have to eventually submit another claim in the future for this one coming up.

Does anyone have the Teslarati large / beefier spoiler? I dont know if Ill get fed up later and just buy a diff brand vs sticking with OEM

Must be the adhesive glue they use in general.

Coincidentally I washed my car today and looked at the the replacement spoiler Tesla Service swapped out and still seems to be holding up pretty well.

However I heard a few guys had their OEM's replaced over and over and still the issue.

Must be the adhesive glue they use in general.

Coincidentally I washed my car today and looked at the the replacement spoiler Tesla Service swapped out and still seems to be holding up pretty well.

However I heard a few guys had their OEM's replaced over and over and still the issue.
It's not the adhesive instead its the curing time. The 3M VHB needs 24hrs to cure on either surface. They do the fix and send it back to you in a few hours so one it's not cured to the spoiler and then not to the car. It's the worst of both cases.