Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ddhir

Dallas, TX (2022 Model Y LR)
Nov 3, 2021
Dallas
How does one make a Tire Warranty claim? My 2022 Model Y LR has just completed 10,000 miles (tire rotation and wheel balancing done ravers 5000 miles) and I drive on Chill mode and no racing.
The tire tread is showing 6/32 which is absolutely abnormal as that’s the tread depth most MY LR owners get at 20,000 miles.
I’ve opened a Service ticket with Tesla and they’re trying to sell me tires!!!
I asked for the OEM tire manufacturer warranty from them so I can file a claim directly with Continental Tires, and they are not providing me that.
Would appreciate guidance on how to handle this?

There is No 12 month warranty on a New Tesla. If you bought it used with a 12 month warranty then you are absolutely dreaming to think they're going to cover what you consider "Excessive tire wear". Besides that Tesla does not cover tires, windshield wipers, brake pads, etc, ie consumables. There's also no chance the tire manufacturer is going to cover your "excessive tire wear" when you have 6/32 tread.

Reactions: Korchva and MP3Mike
Upvote 0
There is No 12 month warranty on a New Tesla. If you bought it used with a 12 month warranty then you are absolutely dreaming to think they're going to cover what you consider "Excessive tire wear". Besides that Tesla does not cover tires, windshield wipers, brake pads, etc, ie consumables. There's also no chance the tire manufacturer is going to cover your "excessive tire wear" when you have 6/32 tread.
All Teslas come with a 12-month warranty. I’m aware Tesla does not cover tires, wipers etc in their own warranty.
As I shared, I was looking to file a claim with Continental Tires (not Tesla). All tire manufacturers provide warranty on tires, so just need the Continental Tires warranty document from Tesla to file the claim.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
All Teslas come with a 12-month warranty. I’m aware Tesla does not cover tires, wipers etc in their own warranty.
As I shared, I was looking to file a claim with Continental Tires (not Tesla). All tire manufacturers provide warranty on tires, so just need the Continental Tires warranty document from Tesla to file the claim.
Please do show me your 12 Month warranty from Tesla

Reactions: Korchva
Upvote 0
The OE Continental Procontact RX tires come with 9/32nd inch tread depth when new. Most new tires start out with 10/32nd inch tread depth. So your usable tire tread is almost 50% (9-2=7; 7/2 = 3.5; 3.5 + 2 = 5.5) used up with 6/32nd" tread remaining at 10,000 miles; expect the tires to last ~22,000 miles when the tread depth will be at or just below 2/32nd inch and you will need to replace the tires. (2/32nd" tread depth is the minimum acceptable tread depth, wear bars molded into the tire will be exposed.)

The cost of your next set of Continental tires could be prorated if you go to a Continental tire dealer when you need to purchase new tires. The Continental tread wear warranty for replacement tires with a speed rating of W,such as the Procontact RX, is 40k miles/6 years. Even though the factory OE tires are not replacement tires you might be able to get 50% credit towards new Continental tires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I repeat there is NO 12 month warranty on a new Tesla. There is a bumper to bumper warranty and a Battery/drivetrain warranty, Neither are 12 month.
Here's a screenshot of the Tesla New Vehicle Warranty:
1684438312918.png

Reactions: Kupe and WyoDude
Upvote 0
It is not covered by Tesla but you can contact Continental to see how it works, generally you have to wait till it wear down to 2/32", then it will be pro-rated according to the rating. I bought road hazard on my first set and subsequent new sets from discount tires and each time I got few bucks back against the purchase of the same set again, since my set always wear out way before the rating (40k, usually last around 22k). Discount tire handles everything for me since they have all my maintenance/rotation records. p.s. don't expect much back, and I think there are restrictions on how the credit is applied to the new set pricing points, typical already discounted tires in tire shop may already beat the credits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kupe and ddhir
Upvote 0
I have successfully done tire warranty claims. Contact Michelin or whomever makes the tires and ask to open a claim. They will then ask you to have an authorized dealer do the inspection, pad their palm say $20 and it will go your way. The manuf provide $$ that you can use toward new tires at where ever you want to go. It works, be patient, and you will be happy.
A note, EV tires are in experimental phase and think that we will experience early wear until they figure out how to make them last longer.
Good luck.

Reactions: ddhir
Upvote 0
I have these on my new MYP, lucky we don't put a lot of mileage, meaning hopefully we will get 2 years
terrible
but like I stated, EV tires are in their infancy stage, it will get better with each new gen
Michelin makes truck tires that last 70K miles, that's what we can look forward to

Upvote 0