Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ddhir

Dallas, TX (2022 Model Y LR)
Nov 3, 2021
Dallas
How does one make a Tire Warranty claim? My 2022 Model Y LR has just completed 10,000 miles (tire rotation and wheel balancing done ravers 5000 miles) and I drive on Chill mode and no racing.
The tire tread is showing 6/32 which is absolutely abnormal as that’s the tread depth most MY LR owners get at 20,000 miles.
I’ve opened a Service ticket with Tesla and they’re trying to sell me tires!!!
I asked for the OEM tire manufacturer warranty from them so I can file a claim directly with Continental Tires, and they are not providing me that.
Would appreciate guidance on how to handle this?

Well good luck with Continental on this. Like most said though, ~20k miles seems to be about the average life expectancy of a set of tires on a EV. I blew through a set of Michelin Pilot sport 4S’s on my model 3 in 9k miles last summer. Granted I was rather liberal with the skinny pedal and steering wheel lol.

Be happy you’re not driving a Cybertruck or a Hummer, those are gonna be pricey to keep changing lol.

Upvote 0
How does one make a Tire Warranty claim? My 2022 Model Y LR has just completed 10,000 miles (tire rotation and wheel balancing done ravers 5000 miles) and I drive on Chill mode and no racing.
The tire tread is showing 6/32 which is absolutely abnormal as that’s the tread depth most MY LR owners get at 20,000 miles.
I’ve opened a Service ticket with Tesla and they’re trying to sell me tires!!!
I asked for the OEM tire manufacturer warranty from them so I can file a claim directly with Continental Tires, and they are not providing me that.
Would appreciate guidance on how to handle this?
Ddhir, call the manufacture and the telephone prompt lists the warranty handling. Talk to them to open up a claim for you. Then go to a trusted and manuf authorized tire dealer. Ask them to inspect for the warranty and give them a tip/$ to help grease your claim benefiting you. State that the wear is abnormal and want replacements. Then check with the manuf again after say a week later and talk to someone about your claim. Express how dissatisfied you are but want to stay a customer and they will offer you money in order to the purchase new tires. Make sure you have the est of how much for new tires totally installed. Negotiate between 100% covered replacements and zero. For 10K used tires, meaning one year for a warranty period of?, ask for that percentage of the new tires with mount, bal and sales tax. Say the warranty is 48K, not seeing that for EV tires, and you are 10K in, you can assume 80% cost coverage/claim refund. Be reasonable and very specific on the costs and percent covered. Hold your line, be very polite, and do you best.
I have done this twice and it works.
Good Luck

Reactions: ddhir
Upvote 0
Again, I have been successful twice on warranty money toward new replacement tires. Yes, if you walk in and state that the tires had rapid wear or wear out, they will def deny you. Find a trusted dealer, tip them, have them inspect after you state that all four tires are unsatisfactory. Right from the warranty doc: LIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY If an eligible tire covered by the Limited Mileage Warranty wears evenly across the tread down to the tread wear indicators—2/32 inch (1.6 mm)—during its stated warranted mileage (as evidenced by the vehicle’s odometer), the tire will be replaced with an equivalent new Bridgestone, Firestone or Associated Brands tire.
I have never seen the tech at the tire center measure the wear across each tire, the entire tire surface, and confirm uneven wear. He will measure the wear for the prorated reporting back to the manuf. Then talk to the manuf and negotiate, knowing how much the replacements will costs, get as high a number as they will give. it works.

Upvote 0
From my experience over the years, Tesla does not attempt to get credits back from the tire manufacturer, nor do they have their service advisors try to help the customer to limit their cost incase a tire wears down faster than it should. Of course, every service advisor is different and has different experience. If they have previously been a service advisor at a dealership, or any other auto service center, maybe they will help you. I have never had that luck.

This just happened to one of my Model Ys, and Tesla tried to charge me full price for tires. I went to Discount Tire, and they were able to credit me a huge portion of it, since they work with the Tire OEM, and i ended up paying about 25% of what Tesla was trying to charge me.

In essence, i would never go to Tesla for any wheel/tire issue. They seem to really *sugar* the bed in that category. I would either go to Costco, Discount Tire, or any other major tire shop.

Reactions: kpanda17
Upvote 0