Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

offgrid house and M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody good to see some discussion in this thread. Myself I don't produce enough electricity to bump up to a 240-volt outlet. Interesting to learn though that 300 watts get taken away and so I should bump up to closer to 12 amps instead of the 7 amps that I typically charge at when I'm doing a bit of charging off of my 120-volt outlet. Cheers

Reactions: Atari2600
I'm in Southwestern BC, Canada, living in an off-grid house with microhydro and solar as my electricity sources (plenty for running the house). I have had my M3 Long Range AWD for about a month. I charge the car a bit overnight by plugging into a 120v outlet (when only microhydro is powering the house; I set the car to start charging at midnight at 6A draw; I have a 24v system which means 6A translates to 30A; this brings house batteries to about 75% by morning) and then I do a second round of charging during the day when sun hits solar (which adds to what my microhydro is producing; I'll turn up to 8-10A draw from car, which equates to 40-60A on the 24v house system). I can put about 25-35km of range back on the car daily (perhaps more when the summer sun really starts hitting), meaning that I only need to visit a supercharger once every 10 days or so given my daily driving regime.

My question is: is anyone else doing something similar (with just solar, or with microhydro, or other)? If so I'd like to compare notes to optimize my system and car charging capabilities. Please get in touch.

Neat setup! If you can, double your charging amperage and reduce the charging time by half. The result will be the same number of kWh pulled from your battery bank but more miles in the car’s battery for the reason @SSedan describes.